Transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
I was out yesterday and needed to turn around and go back the way I came. It was a little rough and steep so I decided to put it in 4wd and go to 4low to go back up. I locked the hubs, put it in 4 low and put it in reverse. I could cut it into a clearing and go forward up the hill. As I am reversing I hear a loud pop. I thought it sounded bad but my springs pop all the time. So I wasn't too concerned. I put it in first gear and nothing. Wouldn't move. I tried to reverse and nothing. I put it in 4 high, same results. I put it back in 2wd same results. I got out to check my drive shaft, all seemed good. I got in and tried all the gears in 2wd, 4 hi and 4 low. Wouldn't move. In fact I could hear a whining sound like something was just spinning. At some point I pushed it into 4 low and pushed really hard at the end. I tried reverse in 4low and it grinding going in. So I tried first and had movement. I climbed the hill and went all the way back to pavement(3-5 miles). I was 50 miles from home and debated about driving home on the highway in 4low at 30 mph. (Side question - Is that a good idea? Front hubs would have been unlocked)

Anyway, got to pavement and my kids and I needed a drink, it was 115 degrees with no ac. We got out drank a little then I put it back in 2wd, nothing, after trying everything again. It started to move in 2wd. Great, well stupid me wanted to make sure it was in 2wd. So, I shifted from 2 wd to 4high back to 2wd. No movement again. Waited a while and tried again, eventually got it it 2wd and drove home.

I'm home now and checked all the linkages, they seem fine and both are moving. Transmission fluid was a little low but not bad. Transfer case was fine. Maybe a little full, Iike the seal is going out between the two. But it's back to only moving in 4low and that is after attempting multiple times.

I'll check but I had the transfer case rebuilt a few years ago. Probably around 5k miles ago.

Anything I can do? Is it possibly a gear is bad in the transfer case? Could the linkages be bad? I am not really sure how to trouble shoot this. Could it be clutch? That was done maybe 70,000 miles ago, 15 years ago. But it shifted fine the whole way home, downshifting up the hills and what not.

Reversing with your wheel turned is a great way to break a birfield joint (loud pop). That is the first place I would check.

Dyno

Start draining fluids, transfer case, then rear diff, front diff, then transmission. You’ll find it quickly.

That doesn't explain no movement in 2WD.
If it was locked up in knuckle ball it could explain it. With some movement it loosend up and he was able to move. ?????????

Check out the entire Hi-Neutral-Lo linkage. (on the top of the transfer case and back to the shifting lever)
Look for excessive slop or play anywhere on that linkage.
Make sure the Hi-Lo lever on the top of the transfer is not loose where it clamps with the pinch bolt onto the shaft.
It sounds to me like the transfer case was in neutral and is only just barely (or not) engaging Hi or Lo range.

I’d start at the birfield. Your shifter linkages certainly sound like they might need adjustment.
but pull that knuckle apart. Next time, jack it up right away and see which front wheel rotates. It sounds like broken marbles and corn flakes all mashed up. Realize you can pull the knuckle and the broken birfield out and reassemble the knuckle without front axle. Then you’re just a three legged dog going home.

The hi-N-low shift rod is a rotating lever that is held in place by a screw clamp. If it loosens it can slip down into the transfer case and disengage from the shift fork.

I am not seeing how it can be a birfield. But I will yield to you guys. I actually have a rebuild kit for them I bought last year. So they need to be done. I did them when I first bought my 60 15 years ago. So its time. I did some trouble shooting today.

At this point I still think its the transfer case. I drained and refilled both the transfer case and transmission. Nothing, I tried 2-3 times between 2wd, 4 high and 4 low. After about the third time I felt it engage. I now go between the three and can drive it. I put it in 2wd and drive down the road to a parking lot. I put it in 4 low and nothing will not move. I try all three and still nothing. Eventually I get it to move in 4low and drive home.

Back in my driveway and can now feel when it "grabs" and will drive(engage). I shift again and it will not move. I almost feel like I have to put it in 4 low, then push foward on the stick. Thats where I feel it grab. I can now while apply pressure forward, shift to 4 low and then to 2wd, at each step it engages and I can drive.

I am not sure how I can check the linkage. I took a video, It didn't turn out so well.

I am not seeing how it can be a birfield. But I will yield to you guys. I actually have a rebuild kit for them I bought last year. So they need to be done. I did them when I first bought my 60 15 years ago. So its time. I did some trouble shooting today.

At this point I still think its the transfer case. I drained and refilled both the transfer case and transmission. Nothing, I tried 2-3 times between 2wd, 4 high and 4 low. After about the third time I felt it engage. I now go between the three and can drive it. I put it in 2wd and drive down the road to a parking lot. I put it in 4 low and nothing will not move. I try all three and still nothing. Eventually I get it to move in 4low and drive home.

Back in my driveway and can now feel when it "grabs" and will drive(engage). I shift again and it will not move. I almost feel like I have to put it in 4 low, then push foward on the stick. Thats where I feel it grab. I can now while apply pressure forward, shift to 4 low and then to 2wd, at each step it engages and I can drive.

I am not sure how I can check the linkage. I took a video, It didn't turn out so well.

You maybe lucky to find, as others posted above, it sounds like just wonky linkage in the transfer case shifter.

I found this post that shows the linkage and describes how the HNL is separate from the 4wd-2wd part of the shifter. It sounds to me like something went wrong in your HNL part of the shifter and you might be stuck in N. This thread describes them trying to fix the problem.

transfer case a.JPG

From that thread:

you should crawl under the truck and see what is going on with the shift linkage. There are two shift forks in the transfer case. One for 4wd vs 2wd and the other for Hi-N-Lo. The Hi-N-Lo shift fork is actuated by a set of levers (outer and inner) that rotates through about 90degrees. The levers are located on the top side of the transfer case at the right side (passenger side in US). If the clamp bolt on the outer lever is loose, the inner lever can slip down and disengage from the shift fork.

first check to make sure the linkage is moving the outer lever throughout its range of motion. if the truck is still not shifting you might try pulling up on the inner lever to see if it has disengaged from the shift fork. if it has, you might be able to reattach it, but be careful the inner lever doesn't fall inside the case. Some have had luck making this repair from the outside, but others have had to disassemble the transfer case.

EDIT-- now I see that 2mbb has already replied giving this advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom