Transfer Case Linkage 77' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a 1977 40 series. I rebuilt the transmission and transfer case a little over a year ago. I've been a little bothered by the shifting of the transfer case and have had it up on my lift looking and wondering. So the situation is when shifted back, to 4H, the shifter shaft is about 1/4" in front of the gate plate. I have to pull back fairly hard to make it shift from the left over to 4L. This is due to the interference induced by the gate plate. Just seems like too much. half that I could see as OK, maybe a little less even. Seems this is pulling pretty hard on the shaft coming out of the case that moves that particular shift fork. My worry is that it may be causing wear or ? That said, I see no signs of that in the brand-new oil. Wondering if this is normal ? I could easily alter the gate plate in my mill, but that shouldn't be necessary, and I try not to jump to that as a fix due to the fact I'm pretty damn sure it's original and untouched. Just seems really odd to be that tightly fitted. This is the only 40
IMG_20220929_120106519_HDR.jpg
I've got experience with so I'm lost for a comparison. What say the group ? Is this normal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom