Transfer case gasket job. Need 2nd opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed my 94 kzj78 had a pretty bad leak in the transfer case. Took it to my mechanic and he said it looks like the gasket is bad between transmission and transfer case and it’s dumping transmission fluid into the T case and it’s basically overflowing it and dumping out and that’s why it’s leaking. He said it will be a pretty big job, he has to take apart the transfer case and redo the gaskets between that and the transmission and it’s gonna be maybe a 5 hour job. Seems he knows what he’s talking about but I want some 2nd opinions before he tears into the transfer case and transmission. I’ll include a photo, he took off that screw and it dumped a bunch of fluid, so that’s what you’re looking at.

2A3A8B26-A9E2-40DB-BDF0-5D0FF0D8B67A.jpeg

5 hrs for that job is correct. Maybe even on the low side. It's not a fun job.

Hello,

x2.

Do it now and do not look back.

A 5-hour repair that will last a long time.

Juan

5 hrs for that job is correct. Maybe even on the low side. It's not a fun job.

Makes sense. Do does anyone happen to know what gaskets I need to get? Part numbers or names? My shop says it looks like the same ones from the 60 or 80 series but I don’t want my transfer case taken apart and then having to wait 3 weeks for gaskets from Japan lol

I don’t know what parts are needed but I’m pretty sure that transfer case is not like a 80🤣 I’m guessing it is a split transfer case like on the 60’s. Have you signed up at toyodiy.com? You put in your trucks vin equivalent and it will show you everything you wanted to find parts numbers wise. Or call one of the good vendors on here.

You can do this repair while the T/F Case is in the truck, lower the T/F Case a couple of inches, undo the split case, remove the rear half and the gears, ( remove and replace the seal 90316-48003 ) Check this part number, I think it's a double lipped seal. fit the gears then the case back together. This a just a general step by step

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom