Transaxle - Car Engine Based Buggies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

be sure to hit mayhems and golden mt. orv parks if you make it to TN

i noticed on pirate that you have made a few duplicate chassis to sell, are you selling the bendtech file to people that want to build their own?

be sure to hit mayhems and golden mt. orv parks if you make it to TN

i noticed on pirate that you have made a few duplicate chassis to sell, are you selling the bendtech file to people that want to build their own?

Yeah I built three chassis at the same time to see what it would be like to production line them....and they went pretty fast!!!I happened to talk to a cnc bending shop about tooling up to produce chassis that all I would need to do is weld together....currently I have two chassis's ready for a new home!!!!:grinpimp:

Currently Im not interested in selling the bend-tech file as it would only take one dishonest person to make my r&d time virtually worthless......Sorry.

Got a 82 Olds Toranado yesterday.

transverse V-8 buggy?

Troy was building one at the Badlands shop a couple of years ago, but I don't know what came of it. I seem to remember it had an inline v-8 to a caddy transaxle to a Ford 9 inch mounted midships the out to the axles.

Check out www.atmmonsters.com ....hope this links you to their site.
They build 1 and 2 seat Honda powered buggies or miniature monster trucks, what ever you want to call them.
They use anything from a 12B to a VTEC motor and even have a diesel version.
These have an unusual frame/chassis. More utility style than crawler, But they will build to suit your specs.
I know of one with F&R hydraulic steering with 9" high pinion Currie axles.
Has anyone seen these perform as a crawler ??
Just curious.

Last edited:
If you had a good way to control four independent brakes you wouldn't have to weld the transaxle diff and you could do fancy stuff like skid steering.

would be cool to have a fully programmable traction control system like the Megasquirt for EFI. but point and shoot bomb proof simplicity is the main goal for a rig like this..

would be cool to have a fully programmable traction control system like the Megasquirt for EFI. but point and shoot bomb proof simplicity is the main goal for a rig like this..

I'm thinking about a simple control box with a line lock, pressure switch and rotation sensor for each corner. You would know which wheel was slipping and could apply pressure with the pedal to any combination of wheels and lock the pressure in when necessary. You could skid steer and do front and rear digs without disconnects in the drivelines. It would save money in the long run because you wouldn't need lockers or have to weld the transaxle.

Full traction control is not much more work, but like you said, simple is better.

i know i would rather focus on driving rather than hitting switches. My rig i put it in 4Low, Drive, and that's it.. point and shoot.. Sometimes front dig, or disconnect the front, but not often.

my take:

what wheelbase ?
front engine transaxle will not work on a tight wheelbase without
no driveshaft angle or your sitting on the rear axle.

Gearing.
you cannot do both, have great crawl ratio and have fast enough
gearing for comfortable highway speed, cause you cannot disconnect
the trans diff like you would a tcase. YOU would need a another box
running backwards (ie SUPER OD ratio like .5 or less numerical ratio)

NOT into the transax to another tcase, imo defeats the purpose of using
a transax

Weight
you are moving your body weight to the front, and putting engine weight
in the middle, so your not removing all the weight from the front. Bigger
the cargo less weight difference in weight moved. IE two seater real men
450lb (4cyl transaxle setup (guess 350lbs loaded), would put 100 lbs more
forward then convential mount.

rotation, Location of the pulley on stock car application

Driverside - pulley can face the rear of buggy, if facing forward diffs will need flipped
Passenger- pulley can face the rear but diffs have to be flipped, or can face forward

front mount motor with mid mount transax, WELL this is something different. SH

my take:

what wheelbase ?
front engine transaxle will not work on a tight wheelbase without
no driveshaft angle or your sitting on the rear axle.

Gearing.
you cannot do both, have great crawl ratio and have fast enough
gearing for comfortable highway speed, cause you cannot disconnect
the trans diff like you would a tcase. YOU would need a another box
running backwards (ie SUPER OD ratio like .5 or less numerical ratio)

NOT into the transax to another tcase, imo defeats the purpose of using
a transax

Weight
you are moving your body weight to the front, and putting engine weight
in the middle, so your not removing all the weight from the front. Bigger
the cargo less weight difference in weight moved. IE two seater real men
450lb (4cyl transaxle setup (guess 350lbs loaded), would put 100 lbs more
forward then convential mount.

rotation, Location of the pulley on stock car application

Driverside - pulley can face the rear of buggy, if facing forward diffs will need flipped
Passenger- pulley can face the rear but diffs have to be flipped, or can face forward

front mount motor with mid mount transax, WELL this is something different. SH
Don't tell Rockape, :eek:he has been competing with in his for months. He'll be devastated when he finds out it doesn't work. :lol:

rusty, HUH ?

you just quoted the whole post, (quote only what your wanting or
dont quote and say what you need to) ie no repeating what was
just posted already. no idea what your talking about.

Wheelbase would be 105-110" Yes Front Honda Engine would mean Pulleys in the front, Output(transaxle) on the driver side, and Flipped Diffs (Hi Pinnion). Based on the Looks of the LC Diff, i would think oil would shoot right up off the ring gear toward the Pinion Bearings, but some oil sling mods may come into play.. With Front Engine, Passenger Legroom would be limited..

Rear Engine is not out of the question, Take a look at all the Top Moon Buggies out there and they are all Rear engine.. i think the benefit of the rear engine rig may be the torque factor, since torque is based off the distance from the pivot point, Putting the bulk of the weight closer to the pivot point (Rear Axle) while climbing, it may be easier to back out of a backward roll. handling characteristics may be better to at high speed too.. aswell as driver visibility

but like UB mentioned i need to stop talking/thinking and start designing the chassis.

and as far as weight goes, im a Skinny Mofo, so 350 lbs total with another slim passenger. compared to the ~500lbs of the engine/trans Radiator, Fluids, ect.. either way i think the trans axle rigs are cool as hell.

Last edited:
isotel
physically even with the long wb 105-110, driver drop, driver would be
sitting on the output, passenger legs WOULD be the motor, would have
to be tall to allow driveshaft to be under the pedals. SOME of this
would be able to do easier in a single offset seater, major limit of axle
travel, very wide compartment or midget passenger.

by raising the passenger compartment you lose some COG that is one
of the major benefits. why some setups snake around seating to allow
a$$ on ground, and easy driveshaft angles coming out of the Transax as
they are not a real strong positive/physical lock in.

run a diff honda motor and not flip as well. Preference thing more then anything
but i prefer not to flip a diff over. I prefer mine wet (pinion bearing). btw
what happend to the toy motor, no honda :)

COG, overall weight, size packaging, visablity, easy reasons for rear engine as
well as mid mount transax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom