Transaxle - Car Engine Based Buggies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i guess if the Toy Drive shaft is the week link, that is a good thing!

Uncle Ben thought the same thing going with a non Vtec engine.. Im new to all this Honda talk, so i need to go do some research!

If you wanna build for xrra you may end up having to experiment with axle ratios to get the overall top speed up to what you want....with 5.29s @ 7000rpm I estimate im only going 40-45mph...maybe!!!It gets there quick though.

It is most like comparing a conventional drivetrain with a 4 speed OD auto to being in 4:1 lo-range all the time....

i guess if the Toy Drive shaft is the week link, that is a good thing!

Uncle Ben thought the same thing going with a non Vtec engine.. Im new to all this Honda talk, so i need to go do some research!

the GSR motor is a good motor, lower compression than the Type-r so its better for turboing, and with the right tuning is fast. (old neighbor had a type-r integra) Hondata tuning is sick if you know how to tune off your laptop. it did wonders, you can change where the v-tech kicks in and allow it to turn on at a lower or higher rpm, which could be a plus if your building this kind of buggy, it would allow you to change all your settings while on the trail if you brought a laptop with you but i thinks its pretty expensive for the software, but its definitely worth it if your looking for more usable power, also allows you to change your redline, but i doubt that would be an issue for rock crawling. if you stick with the GSR or Type-R tranny the gear ratios are different. i believe the GSR is longer gearing because it made its power at more mid range than the Type-R who is all top end so it had a shorter closer gear ratio. i don't know anything about the LS motors and tranny's they weren't nearly as impressive as the GSR and Type-r's. i dont remember if the GSR and Type-r had LSD in the tranny's. for some reason i think its the Type-r did and the gsr didn't but dont qoute me on that.
hope that helps if any one is considering using one of these for a build.

XRRA courses don't see speeds above 40MPH, so i would have a Deep set for that. i dont think the guys go out of Low range.. I know JT put in a 3 speed stak so he could use the 2:1

Maybe if i was to run the Hammers i would need some 3.70's out of an FJ60 to get the top speed up.

Best thing is they are Cheep!

thanks for all the info guys! I want to Measure out an Engine and Start Designing a Chassis when i get back from Moab!

Last edited:
the GSR motor is a good motor, lower compression than the Type-r so its better for turboing, and with the right tuning is fast. (old neighbor had a type-r integra) Hondata tuning is sick if you know how to tune off your laptop. it did wonders, you can change where the v-tech kicks in and allow it to turn on at a lower or higher rpm, which could be a plus if your building this kind of buggy, it would allow you to change all your settings while on the trail if you brought a laptop with you but i thinks its pretty expensive for the software, but its definitely worth it if your looking for more usable power, also allows you to change your redline, but i doubt that would be an issue for rock crawling. if you stick with the GSR or Type-R tranny the gear ratios are different. i believe the GSR is longer gearing because it made its power at more mid range than the Type-R who is all top end so it had a shorter closer gear ratio. i don't know anything about the LS motors and tranny's they weren't nearly as impressive as the GSR and Type-r's. i dont remember if the GSR and Type-r had LSD in the tranny's. for some reason i think its the Type-r did and the gsr didn't but dont qoute me on that.
hope that helps if any one is considering using one of these for a build.

You do realize that a vtec is pretty much a waste, since in both of the examples you posted it crosses over to the hi-cam lobe at 5200-5800 rpm......not where you will ever likely be for any amount of time.

And turbos need rpm to make power.....now a roots blower makes power from idle until the top...with no lag.Fast street car engines dont always make great crawler motors....in a crawler torque is king....high rpm Hp not so much.:pig:

You do realize that a vtec is pretty much a waste, since in both of the examples you posted it crosses over to the hi-cam lobe at 5200-5800 rpm......not where you will ever likely be for any amount of time.

And turbos need rpm to make power.....now a roots blower makes power from idle until the top...with no lag.Fast street car engines dont always make great crawler motors....in a crawler torque is king....high rpm Hp not so much.:pig:

ya i know. i was just kind of pointing out what i knew to help give basic info on the engines that i was some what familiar with since the b18's seem to be the topic. and for turbo'ing i just said to help point out the GSR engine was lower compression.

I thought about this a while back using a 4G63 Mitsubishi motor. This is the 2.0L turbo motor used in the Eclipse GSX and in the Evolutions up to the 2008 model. I drive an Evo and it is a super fun motor. I can see some similar concerns to the Subaru that you mentioned earlier since the GSX and Evo both use an AWD tranny. However, the Eclipse GST is the 2wd turboed version.

The '03-05 4G63 from the Evo VIII is stock with 271hp and the stock turbo at 19psi. The '06-07 motor in the Evo IX has the new MIVEC (variable valve timing) system and the horsepower is up to 275 stock. Add a 3" exhaust and a tune and your pretty easily 300hp at the wheels. There are a several shops that know a lot about these motors since they've been around a long time and two shops in particular that know more than just about anybody (in the states at least) and that is Buschur Racing and AMS. Both of those shops have race Evos with ~1000hp. So you could go as crazy as you want with it.

The downside to the motor is that it isn't as torquey in the low RPMs and say a VW motor. But they still have good torque with similar torque/hp numbers. My thought was to use one in a minitruck for desert running and I think it would be a riot. I'm sure it could probably be easier to use in some ways in a buggy.

As for VW motors, the 3.2 from the R32 or the Tuareg would be sweet. I love that motor too.

Here's a fun Top Gear video of the Evo Fq400 with the above mentioned 4G63. Keep mind however, this is a UK only model with a much larger turbo than what comes stock here in the states.

YouTube - Top Gear: Evo vs Lambo

Last edited:
I Love Top Gear - Even though they talk Trash on Americans every chance they get!

I do like the DSM Motors too. THe cool thing is these engines are all about the same size, so a chassis could support any FWD 4 banger..

The VR6 would be pretty sweet, especially with the Low end Tourqe!

Last edited:
I wonder how a Series II or III Supercharged 3.8 liter GM motor would work in this configuration. The power to weight ratio should be fantastic and they've got PLENTY of off the line torque thanks to the displacement and blower combo.

Edit: On that note, I did some research and it looks like you can pick up an LS4(5.3 aluminum block) V8 w/ trans/harness/computer/etc for under 3k! That' 300hp with a transaxle. Talk about a rocketship!

I need to stop hanging out in here and on PBB, you guys make me spend all my money on these crazy ideas :D

Last edited:
I wonder how a Series II or III Supercharged 3.8 liter GM motor would work in this configuration. The power to weight ratio should be fantastic and they've got PLENTY of off the line torque thanks to the displacement and blower combo.

Edit: On that note, I did some research and it looks like you can pick up an LS4(5.3 aluminum block) V8 w/ trans/harness/computer/etc for under 3k! That' 300hp with a transaxle. Talk about a rocketship!

I need to stop hanging out in here and on PBB, you guys make me spend all my money on these crazy ideas :D

I know a cat that just threw a 5.3 in his buggy. Reflashed, wired to 2 plug and play, 1300 bones!! He already had the 700R4, so he stuck with it instead of the 4L60E. When he got it, he said it was clean as a whistle, with a reported 50K on it's ticker. He has had some issues with it losing oil pressure on near vertical climbs and has since added an accumulator and a baffle, hopefully it works out.

I Love Top Gear - Even though they talk Trash on Americans every chance they get!

I do like the DSM Motors too. THe cool thing is these engines are all about the same size, so a chassis could support any FWD 4 banger..

The VR6 would be pretty sweet, especially with the Low end Tourqe!

Time to stop kickin' tires and start bending some tube....don't cha think? :rolleyes:;p

Don't even go over to The Rock Gods where the guy who built the first buggy in this thread hangs out. Those guys are there to help you spend your money. I've even considering at some point (right after, or maybe before, the divorce:rolleyes:) linking the suspension on my FJ40.

This is what I think of when I think of DSM engines:

DSMcrank.jpg

dsmpostervw0.jpg

Maybe I have just tried to get too much power out of them... :hmm:

I've heard that crank walk was a problem with DSM's. The Evo is different. At least there have not been complaints about crank walk like there were in the earlier eclipses, and I don't think power is the problem as there are MANY Evos in the 400-500hp range with no problems and a handful with as much as 1000hp that are still daily drivers. Yes I'm serious. I don't know how they daily drive a car with 1000hp but they do. I wouldn't.

If I were using one of those motors it would definitely be a 4G63 out of an Evo and not out of any of the Eclipse models.

Don't even go over to The Rock Gods where the guy who built the first buggy in this thread hangs out. Those guys are there to help you spend your money. I've even considering at some point (right after, or maybe before, the divorce:rolleyes:) linking the suspension on my FJ40.

Hey Rusty.....its time you turn in your man card!!!Did you forget thats what friends are for.....to help you spend your $$$ :grinpimp:.Hell I got slvrbck to cut his fj down to a cowl......piece by piece!!!!:crybaby:

Back on subject.....there all all kinds of engine combinations to do this with,you just have to design a chassis to work around their unique size specs.Plus you need to do up a stand alone harness!!!Im spoiled because I have someone locally that is willing to do any Honda engine/trans combination I can think of!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
I've heard that crank walk was a problem with DSM's. The Evo is different. At least there have not been complaints about crank walk like there were in the earlier eclipses, and I don't think power is the problem as there are MANY Evos in the 400-500hp range with no problems and a handful with as much as 1000hp that are still daily drivers. Yes I'm serious. I don't know how they daily drive a car with 1000hp but they do. I wouldn't.

If I were using one of those motors it would definitely be a 4G63 out of an Evo and not out of any of the Eclipse models.

I wasn't trying to knock the Evo's motor... If I was attacking an Evo, I would go for the transfer case! :flipoff2:

Hey Rusty.....its time you turn in your man card!!!Did you forget thats what friends are for.....to help you spend your $$$ :grinpimp:.Hell I got slvrbck to cut his fj down to a cowl......piece by piece!!!!:crybaby:

Back on subject.....there all all kinds of engine combinations to do this with,you just have to design a chassis to work around their unique size specs.Plus you need to do up a stand alone harness!!!Im spoiled because I have someone locally that is willing to do any Honda engine/trans combination I can think of!!!!:cool:
WTF? I turned in my man card after the first 25 years of marriage. I'm lucky to have a Blue Bird Card now.:lol:

Maybe if you get me a pass to the Giants Throne I can get my wife to let me have my stones back for a day.

OT
I have a 99 Corolla I need to do something with:rolleyes:. The body and interior are thrashed. Maybe you have some ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom