Transaxle - Car Engine Based Buggies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saturns have the front pulley on the left side of the engine.

Very interesting! That should make it Counter clockwise rotation! I can't imagine too many gear and locker choices for a Saturn unless it shares internals with something else. The Honda T-axles are pretty tough too! There are hard cores out there pushing close to 1000hp out of the little beasts! :eek:

Sounds like they are 27 spline.. I don't know if that's the same size as a Toyota 27 spline, but if so, that is the same output size of the Mini truck t-case.

Kev, How do these LSD's work? do they provide enough lockup, or would a Spool be the ticket?

here is one with a Saturn Engine..
Photo Gallery :: New buggy

Nice Rig in the Background!
DSC00525.jpg

Sounds like they are 27 spline.. I don't know if that's the same size as a Toyota 27 spline, but if so, that is the same output size of the Mini truck t-case.

Kev, How do these LSD's work? do they provide enough lockup, or would a Spool be the ticket?

The Quaife's really hook up in the Hondas! They are essentially a Torsen Gleason type LS. A spool and two drive line discos would probably be the shiznit!

Trevor....you are an evil man! This stuff does not need to be in my head right now!

yea, i know, ive got quite alot going on right now, but this would be a Sweet Rig! Im going to do all i can to make it happen! Justin is in on the Chassis, He had a similar idea for quite some time!

Just an FYI, JT Taylor (Former CLC Member, XRRA Racer) Commissioned the Colorado Hill Climb Association to add a Rock Buggy Class to their hill climbs this year! I think there is only 4 rigs in the class as of now!

Trying to Figure out the Top Speed.. What RPM would this little Honda engine be Happy Reving at for an extended period of time?

3 - 4k rpm range .. to keep it safe and fresh withthe chance to go up to 5K if was necesary ..

b18b1/2 LS Acura (Honda) engines redline at 65k the GSR (B18c1) redlines at 8k. The type R (b18c5) redline is 9k. These little motors don't even hit peak until 4500ish! They will zing 5k all day and blips to 8k are easy for them!

going back a few years to my build.

the Audi powerplant works great. the stock quattro tranny could probably be used to work. The VR6 and the Audi engines use similar bellhousings, but for sheer mounting ease, the AUdi engine world probably work better than the VR6. Also the Audi engine is only 17" long from pulley to bell housing mount, which would work well in a buggy.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/81158-project-toy-audi.html

The Audi would be cool, but im afraid of the Wiring, Weight, and Width of somthing like that, The VR6 is nice because its a Narow angle V6 in a small Package..

The Honda Is cool, because its small, Light, and good HP.. plus UB has the wiring Figured out!..

Looking like i would need about $7-8K just for other parts to make this happen the way i want to with new stuff.. that's Suspension, Tires, wheels, seats, chassis, Steering, Axles. ect.. Not including Engine/Transaxle stuff.

it's a fairly light motor. designed to be low and flat, fit between frame rails.

total dressed weight somewhere in the 350-400# range.

total dims:

height clear 26"
lenght 17"
width at widest point 26"

turbo versions can break 500 HP with fairly reliable mods.

VW / Audi engines, with the Audi versions in particular, intended for low end torque, reaching peak torque numbers in the 3000 - 3200 rpm range. Useful RPM over 8000. with the wide RPM band, it's been quite useful to have such a wide range of power when hands are too busy to shift.

wiring isn't that difficult either, lots of information is online. I just found this engine at the wreckers, they let me pull it myself for a good price. with all the aluminum in it, they're usually just straight scrapped, rather than pulled and sold as engines.

an example of the wiring termination points:

Power (6 separate lines in)
Grounds (4 separate lines in)
VSS,
2 lines for OBD
AC signal (to activate compressor)
Speedo line in.
brake stop light switch,
clutch switch (for starter)

the rest are the usual. water, oil temp, starter, charge, etc are typical from any engine swap. The sensors pictured below are all self contained within the engine's wiring harness.
mpi.gif

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

I have been directed to this thread and only have a few things to add.

I used Honda because of its light weight/high hp/small physical size and low power loss through their automatics,not to mention being a honda tech for 16 years!!!Also the reverse rotation of the engines allows for rear engine and non flipped thirds.

My idea was to build low weight and be able to run lighter componets because the low weight wouldnt stress parts nearly as bad as the usually 4000 lb truck the axles came from does.

I am currenty gathering parts for the super version of my original(b20 supercharged,integra auto,high pinion thirds).The chassis is already built,as well as two others(one currently under construction with a ZC/civic auto by its new owner)......one still needing a home!!!!

100_3558.jpg

This buggy flat gets it....if you got big enough stones to try something......9 times out of ten it will make it, and make it look easy in the process:grinpimp:

RockApe, Glad you found this thread - Welcome to MUD! Ive been trying to sneak onto the Rock Gods site to snoop around your new build, but have been unable to register over there ;p

Why the Integra Auto? are these Bell housings rather interchangeable?

any thoughts on the B18C5 that Uncle Ben Mentioned?

Also, any Trans axle Carnage Yet? - How much Hell have you given the rig?

At this point i am thinking, Front Engine, Trans axle on the DS of the rig, and Flipped thirds.. Or Possibly a Flipped Hy Pinion in the rear so im on the Drive side of the Gears.

Last edited:
RockApe, Glad you found this thread - Welcome to MUD! Ive been trying to sneak onto the Rock Gods site to snoop around your new build, but have been unable to register over there ;p

Why the Integra Auto? are these Bell housings rather interchangeable?

any thoughts on the B18C5 that Uncle Ben Mentioned?

Also, any Trans axle Carnage Yet? - How much Hell have you given the rig?

At this point i am thinking, Front Engine, Trans axle on the DS of the rig, and Flipped thirds.. Or Possibly a Flipped Hy Pinion in the rear so im on the Drive side of the Gears.

To use a B series engine you have to use a B series trans.....I am currently using a d series trans and the Zc is a D series.

I am not really sold on using a vtec engine in one of these buggys since one you pay alot more for anything vtec(especially a b18 type R engine....)and the high rpm isnt really needed.The B20 that I have chosen for my next one has as good torque #s than the b18 and are very cheap.....

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30026 (not the type R,,,but notice the price!!!)

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30027 (I have the later 146hp model......)

I did break the rear driveline out of it last weekend after at least 10 full throttle assaults at this..

LO-BUDGET12.jpg

On the final try I did this!!!!
100B3601.jpg

after I had looked at it better I even cracked the adapter where it comes out of the transaxle,but no transaxle carnage!!!!

As far as using it front engine......I was just discussing that very thing yesterday with the 2008 WEROCK unlimited champ....I think if you are gonna go that route the H series might be the best choice since in a two seater space isnt as much as a premium as it is in a moon buggy.....plus the H series have even more torque.....

The one downside to using any other auto transaxle than the d series is they all need a transmission control unit...that means a bunch more wiring and having to figure out how to use the stock gear position sensor mounted on the shift lever......

(BTW....Pm me your info here and Ill manually sign you up at TRG since we have issues at times with people that cannot sign up.....)

i guess if the Toy Drive shaft is the week link, that is a good thing!

Uncle Ben thought the same thing going with a non Vtec engine.. Im new to all this Honda talk, so i need to go do some research!

i guess if the Toy Drive shaft is the week link, that is a good thing!

Uncle Ben thought the same thing going with a non Vtec engine.. Im new to all this Honda talk, so i need to go do some research!

That thing stood up to some abuse there at the end though. He was get'n it good when it let go. Bad thing is, about 1 more try and he would have had that line!!!

That little buggy is impressive for sure. And it's built pretty simple too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom