trans missin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alrighty, pulling up to a red light sometimes its a lil hard to s*** into 1st, i have to go into second then first to get it in..and she is leaking pretty good but i keep fluid in her...anywho will a simple overhaul kit do the job? or is it worn gears, there is about 154,000 miles on it. never did anything to it except change the fluid and it seemed fine. anywho i found this kit at man it anit free do you think this will do it? http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/transmissiongearboxbearingrebuiltkit.htm

thanks.....al

yulp it is... so what does that mean what am i in for now?

Adjust your clutch by the book from the pedal free play all the way through to your slave. Do you have a Toyota manual?

yeah, it prob it means ill be reading the same thing about 20 times....
thanks for the help......al

thanks a lot id be lost with out you guys...thanks al

If the clutch adjustment doesn't totally fix it, you might want to replace the "shift seat". Its a plastic bushing under the ball on the shift lever. Its easy to replace and the bushing costs about 6$. The tranny overhaul kit can make a tranny run like new if the gears aren't shot. To change all of the bearings is a bit of work that requires a hydraulic press and custom pullers - not too hard but not trivial. Is yours leaking from the front seal? The seal is easy to cahnge if the tranny is out of the vehicle. Has your clutch been done? If your due for a clutch, that's the time to work on the tranny. You could even do the tcase/tranny seal while its out. Unless you're getting lots of bearing whine or worn syncho grind you shouldn't need to open up the tranny.

Try lifting up on the shifter as you shift into first. If it seems to work easier when you do then replace the bushing under the shifter. When they wear the shifter drops deeper into the tranny and has a hard time switching gates. I had mine start to give me problems when I was in Chiapas, Mexico and by the time I was in Mazatlan I could only use 3rd and 4th. Had to drive all the way from Mazatlan to Vancouver, Canada in 3rd and 4th. I did not know about the bushing then!

yeah, when i have some extra money im going to get that kit and the clutch kit there too,but ive never ever done anything like that so im gonna pay some shop to do it, gonna get screwed on shop costs but i dont think im capable of doing it my self, id get a friend to help but i think the closest other cruiser buddy is on the other side of the state. anyway thanks for the help do you have any idea how much its gonna cost me in labor fees?
my guess would be a pretty penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom