trans fluid temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, Cary has become an oil maniac and I'm becoming a fluid temp maniac.

Just got home from a 2 week, 3300 mile road trip. The one readout I'm not getting on my OBDII scanner is trans fluid temp. So I called AotoXray - the mfg of the scanner. They said no scanner will give the info because the OBD computer doesn't get that info.

I'm assuming that there is a make-or-break type of switch that powers the idiot light, rather than a temp sender.

Is that right? Is anyone running a trans fluid temp gauge? I read on another current thread that Junk is thinking of a gauge. What's up so far, Junk?

Ed

Ed

I'm also going to instal a transmission temperature gauge. Planning on installing underneath the parking brake. Currently, modifying a "A" pillar gauge pod to fit the side of the center console. Will only have to on occassion review temps, since I don't tow that often.

Kurt.

You have to install the temp sender in the side of the transmission pan. Drill hole, weld in a threaded bung, and then install the sender. Wire it up & monitor temps.

Will be doing this within the next few weeks when the tranny fluid change is scheduled. Some kits have the sender in the tranny cooler lines; however, this doesn't give a true reading. You want to monitor the tranny sump / pan temp, since this is what cools / baths the internals.

Joe

While on the subject of temps, anyone have an oil temp guage? What oil temps are you seeing.

Thanks

Cary

Hey Cary, your question signals merged manias - a natural progression to oil temp. Whats next?

Joe, is there any chance that the sender for the idiot light could be replaced with a temp sender? the gauge could have an audible alarm like Bill's coolant temp set-up. I haven't crawled under there yet to take a look - other broken toys are occupying my time right now.

Ed

A kwikie way to add a temp guage to the tranny would be to get one of those digital thermometer for cars/trucks from truckstop. I have one on my semi. It mounts on the dash with a long wire that has the sensor on it. Put the sensor on the tranny and seal it with some RV sealant. It wouldn't give the fluid temp but would show if the temp was on the rise.

This could be done to the rad too.
kurt

I want a gold star for this idea :-*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom