Tranny Shifter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search and came up with nada.

PROBLEM- Wife wakes me up today and tells me the 80 "wont move". Start checking out things and I find that the shifter does not want to move into gear. Feels like the shifter button is not engaging all the way. When I press the brake I can hear the (selenoid?) cliking like normal. Also, just to make sure I checked out the shifter rod and everything looked good and straight. Just normal highway use latley.-thanks

There is a square "button" you can remove on the top of the shifter hump. Remove that, and stick a screw driver down there, pushing a switch down I believe.

If it is your brake switch, that overides it.

You may have blown your brake light fuse. To check, have her hit the brakes while you watch the tail lights. If you don't have brake lights, the fuse is blown. That fuse not only handles the lights, but also the shifter lockout. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply Shocker. already did that and it works. took the cover apart so I could see what was going on and everything looks good. think its the brake switch? The only thing I messed with recently is finally hooking up the lights to the kaymar bumper. That was just the (BRAKE LIGHTS) and it was 3 days ago. nothing to do with the tranny, but maybe the brake switch freeked out. any others? thanks- if Im slow with the replies, its cuz im tyring to figure the problem out

I think you need to check that fuse. You probably blew it when you did the bumper.

The Transmission shift lock function is connected to your brake light fuse. If one goes out the tranny locks too.

That said, I have had a carpenter's pencil in my tranny manual override for about 5 months now. I have a feeling that mine is a shift lock solenoid issue or some other wiring under neath the plastic for the shift console.

Good luck.
-onur
AKron,OH

WOMPER-your the man!!! that was it. Ill replace the fuse and let you guys know how it turns out.

thanks to all :beer:

Your A/C fuse should be the same(10amp?), you could temporarily swap them if you don't have spares. I am at work and going by memory.

Alright shifter problem solved. put a new fuse in and the lights and shifter worked. New problem I found was when I put the new fuse in the dash lights would turn on when I pressed the brake pedal. disconected the Kaymar lights and everything is back to normal. Maybe its the ground for the Kaymar lights. Ill try and figure it out. if I cant Ill post picks of my wiring for the lights and ground wire.-again thanks to all

GBELL210- good info, I have the same plugs under my 97. I have the Kaymar harness pluged into the plugs that are circled white and orange in the last picture of your post. Im hoping its just a bad ground, but ill have to wait till mon. to check everything out. Ill let ya know. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom