Tranny set-up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend of mine just gave me(well for a case of beer) a 283 Chev. motor and I plan to re-build it and put it in my cruiser. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if my stock tranny will hold up to it. I have a '74 Fj40 with the 3-speed.

Call me crazy but I kinda like the 3-speed tranny :dunno:.

rye

what about the sm420?

Granny gear (7.05:1)! Plus, you can pick them up cheap, they last a long time, and parts are pretty easy to find. And they're tough enough for the punishment. The sm465 is more common but has a slightly higher 1st gear ratio. Either one will work fine.

The sm420 (and sm465) are just like having a floor shift 3sp that has an extra low granny gear. Around town, you just use 2-4 and when you need it, you drop it into the extra low 7.05:1 first. They bolt right up to the chevy small block and all you need is an T'case adpator plate and a few odds and ends. See the technical links section for details.

Can these trannys be sourced from something? If so what kind of donor vehicle should I look for?

That super low first gear sounds GREAT!

I'll tell ya from first hand experience, they kick ass. They are pretty loud trannys, but hell the 7.05 kicks ass! and the final gear is 1 to 1 same as stock 4 speed cruiser!

Im going with the sm465. Mine is a daily driver so I want to have the full syncros and its not that much of a difference in gears. It is a little more to put in but I think its worth it. They are also one of the strongest 4 speeds around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom