tranny gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on changing the tranny fluid this weekend and not sure if I should drop the pan and clean/replace the screen. The plan was to first drain and inspect the fluid and see how dirty it is,etc. to make my decision. Either way should the pan be removed and the screen cleaned or is this an overkill?
If so, has anyone used Permatex RTV silicone (gasket maker) for remounting the pan?
thanks
Chris

Chris,

442 and 343 pans are sealed with FIPG (form in place gasket) #1281, toyota part number 00295-01281. All dealers should stock it. A tube will do a lot more than one pan, you may befriend a tech at the dealer and "mooch" a partial tube or buy a new one. The downside is you will never use all of a new one before it goes bad. It's about 20 bucks.

Is the tranny filter a metal screen (cleanable), or a regular paper type (must change) ? ??? Dan ?!!!

Frank.

It's a cleanable screen.
-B-

I got a tranny pan gasket from a Toyota dealer. I took it to a tranny shop and they changed the oil and cleaned the screen. I will have to look to see if the shop used the gasket or used sealant.
kurt

Kurt,

If your dealer sold you a transmission oil pan gasket for a "1994 Land Cruiser" I suggest you find another dealer. ::) .

If they made such a basic mistake, I would hate to be on the recieving end of a more challenging request :eek: .

I won't know till late sunday or monday to look under the 80 to see what is sealing the tranny pan.
kurt

The parts guy couldn't find a #. He asked a tech what the seal was? They tech went to a gasket on the wall and said this one is used inplace of the FIPG.
Maybe the dealer found an out source of tranny gaskets?

Chris,Dan; The local Toyota dealer in Madison WI sells a tranny pan gasket $12. It is a non toyota part but it works. Check your dealer or parts house, some one should have it. I wounder if the pan gasket is used on more than just the 80 as the dealer stocks the gasket and they don't see many Landcruisers?
kurt

Kurt,
The early 440's in FJ62's call for a gasket(35168-36010). As they are not supposed to be used on 91 up I haven't tried one on an 80 with a 440 or a 442. I can tell you that the oil pans have different part numbers. Sometimes the after market will cut gaskets and sell them where the factory uses a sealer. It has been my experience that the sealer works better than a gasket.

Off to crack yokes...................... 8)

Has anyone used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV instead of the ThreeBond 1281? Permatex claims it to be an OEM equivalent for Toyota FIPG 00295-01281.

I tried the import grey stuff on my rear diff acuator cover and it worked fine. I am sure it would be fine for other seals too but I will pay the $$ for the Toyota FIPG stuff, its "more better" :D
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom