Trailer Hitch Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our LC came without the towing option. I want to put an aftermarket hitch on it. Even though I don't tow heavy trailers (only a utility trailer with a couple of dirt bikes), I want to put a Class IV hitch on if possible. This is because I sometimes use a hitch mounted carrier (motojack rack) to haul a single dirtbike plus a single minibike (total weight, incl. rack, close to 500 LBS.).

Does anyone know of a good brand of aftermarket Class IV hitch for the 100 Series LC?

Any recommendations of shops (LA, CA) to go to to get one installed?

How much should I expect to pay for the hitch and the installation?

Finally, I assume people are going to recommend air bags for the springs for the loaded rack mounted carrier. What brands should I look at and how much should I expect to pay (no DIY install, I'm no good with a wrench).

Thanks!

You could just upgrade your rear springs for less hassle and price than bags IMO if you expect it to tow that much. ~$150 for heavier springs. My first reaction is that the stock towbar/hitch thing is perfectly sufficient for what you are looking to do. It's really the torque and tonque weight that is your issue there. A Class IV hitch is primarily (correct me someone if I'm wrong) beneficial for incrasing total towing load longitudinally and may/may not be any better at tonque weight or torque on the receiver.

Presuming a 100 hitch install is as easy as an 80 - it's only six bolts to install an OEM hitch. Get the factory wiring harness with it and it's plug and play. I'm no wrench either and it was a very easy install.

If you want to keep your cushy ride - Airlift airbags are the only choice out their. Sounds like you have light weight trailering needs. Stock springs may get you by w/o issue. You may want to see first. If not, the bags themselves only ran me about $70-75. Install will run you another 1-2 hours of shop time and cost is dependent on shop labor rates in your area. SoCal is about $85/hr.

PM DMX84. He transports his dirtbikes in the same manner. The OEM tow hitch should be fine but can be expensive. Somebody said Valley Industries is the supplier for Toyota OEM hitches. I prefer Draw-tite hitches as they don't hang as low. I posted pics in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=15997&highlight=hitch

As for installation of the hitch, it is fairly easy but you might need an impact gun to remove the existing bolts. Other than that, it's a :banana: job.

I bought a used hitch from Christo (Im sure he has more) and found a factory wiring harness from a dealer in NJ. The factory wiring harnesses are discontinued so good luck on that. Cdan gave me a lead on two in his confuser. First call it was sold, second bingo. Good luck. Installing the stock hitch is easy.

BC

ebod said:
Our LC came without the towing option. I want to put an aftermarket hitch on it. Even though I don't tow heavy trailers (only a utility trailer with a couple of dirt bikes), I want to put a Class IV hitch on if possible. This is because I sometimes use a hitch mounted carrier (motojack rack) to haul a single dirtbike plus a single minibike (total weight, incl. rack, close to 500 LBS.).

Does anyone know of a good brand of aftermarket Class IV hitch for the 100 Series LC?

Finally, I assume people are going to recommend air bags for the springs for the loaded rack mounted carrier. What brands should I look at and how much should I expect to pay (no DIY install, I'm no good with a wrench).

Thanks!

As I have already offered in other threads, I have an OE Stock 100 hitch off my 2000 that you can have (if yours was not equipped) for free if you pay shipping.
It is a little scratched up, but it should work just fine for you.

Just let me know...

ebod said:

Thanks!

If interested I have a pair of OME 865 springs for sale...like new...check them out in the Parts for Sale Forum or PM me.

I have the OME 2in lift w/865’s it does pretty good; I would like a little more spring rate. I’m hoping the 33 in tires will help with the height; otherwise I may need air bags too.
If you aren’t using an OME suspension, than you’ll be better off using the trailer. Or get air bags, but it’s kind of a pain though, as mentioned before in other threads.

Your biggest problem is when using the carrier on the back, because the factory hitch sits too low IMO. With 500lb and the added length of your carrier its going to cause lots of problems, dragging over anything higher than a curb, & your bump stops bottoming out at times.

I have a light weight carrier (Total weight w/ trials bike ~200lb) and the problem is whenever I get off road the carrier is still quite low.
After installing the lift, it helped but the limiting factor still is the receiver with stock size tires.
See pictures below.

The first picture shows a slight incline on a normal dirt road; actually it’s an unused private road next to my house. This is a typical road in the mountainous areas I frequently travel. Hope this helps. :cheers:
DMX

After posting the pictures, I realized you cannot see how high the carrier is off the ground. The first picture it’s probably 6in, as it was leaving an incline and the second was probably around 12 in or so pointing down the incline. The carrier normally sits 13 inches off the ground.
trialsbikecarrier 007ih8.JPG
trialsbikecarrier 002ih8.JPG

Last edited:
Hey DMX,

Thanks for the photos. I think my stock set up combined with heavier weight (KDX 220 + KLX 110) would have me bottoming out even on flat surfaces.

If you get a chance, post some photos of you riding that bike (I can barely see the one under your name) or a link to some photos. Trials riding blows me away! I've never seen anyone do it in person. I'd try to learn myself, but I can barely ride a trail bike let alone a trials bike.

You can buy Valley Industry towing merch. at Tractor Supply. Just bought one for my new truck.

Got a brand new toyota hitch in the box with the wireing , Located in CA , Burbank ,
area 200 bucks will probally even install it for you , for a six pac more .

Pm if interested.

fj55-100
Evan
hitch resized 1.jpg
hitch resized 3.jpg

ebod said:
Hey DMX,

Thanks for the photos. I think my stock set up combined with heavier weight (KDX 220 + KLX 110) would have me bottoming out even on flat surfaces.

If you get a chance, post some photos of you riding that bike (I can barely see the one under your name) or a link to some photos. Trials riding blows me away! I've never seen anyone do it in person. I'd try to learn myself, but I can barely ride a trail bike let alone a trials bike.

Sent you a PM to links. :cheers:
DMX

Very kind people on this board. It never ceases to amaze me ( :

Ditto on the factory hitch if you can find one with the factory harness.

I bought one off ebay a few months ago for $100 bucks, brand new and all there. The guy had several... They had gotten rained on briefly and the boxes got slightly crinkled, and the dealer wouldn't sell em. Great deal! I finally installed it last week. Very easy install. Love that plug and play factory harness!

I actually had a clearance issue with my moto jack rack and I had a guy at a fabrication shop in Montana ( I was there at the time the mod was necessary)...modify it, and it worked great. That was for a different rig though. Air bags may solve any potential drag problems too.

What exactly does the factory wiring harness do for the early 100's? Does it include brake controller type stuff? What type of pin connector is on it (4 pin / 7 pin)?

I just picked up a 98, and it looks like it has never had a hitch on it in its life. I will be installing one, and I have a standalone aftermarket brake controller that I purchased for another vehicle but never installed. I'm curious if the factory wiring harness takes care of the brake controller stuff as well as I'd rather not install an add-on unit if the factory stuff can take care of it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

rich

richg said:
What exactly does the factory wiring harness do for the early 100's? Does it include brake controller type stuff? What type of pin connector is on it (4 pin / 7 pin)?

I just picked up a 98, and it looks like it has never had a hitch on it in its life. I will be installing one, and I have a standalone aftermarket brake controller that I purchased for another vehicle but never installed. I'm curious if the factory wiring harness takes care of the brake controller stuff as well as I'd rather not install an add-on unit if the factory stuff can take care of it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

rich

FAQ, dude, FAQ!

and welcome!

e9999 said:
FAQ, dude, FAQ!

and welcome!

The FAQ only refers to '03s and possibly later according to the author, it does not say it is valid for earlier. It also mentions both 4 and 7 pin connectors. Hence, my questions.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=18675

If there is another FAQ out there that I am missing, please send the link along.

Thanks in advance

rich

Rich, I think the only option on a 98 was a 4 wire flat. The recall was related to the factory converter box that was originally mounted on the underside of the vehicle, IIRC mine was mounted to the spare tire brace. You may have the wires even though you don’t have the hitch. The new version, plugs into the main harness like the recalled one, and gets routed up into the fender (d-side) and gets stuck w/double sided tape (included). This keeps the converter module dry. Mine was all corroded out, due to moisture. If you search I posted the PN# for the harness. I do remember it was about 200 bucks.
I ran my wires for my brake controller my self and glad I did. The butchers at the RV places can f-up anything. I think I also mentioned how they drove a chisel through the bottom of my fender to run some wires on a previous post. :mad:
DMX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom