Trail'd Spare Gas Cans (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a good practice to fill up as close to the trailhead as possible, I have started filling up at the second closest gas station, then top off again at the closest one. It's happened to me before that the closest gas station might be closed, out of order, or just doesn't exist anymore, so I don't take the chance because I hate having to backtrack and waste time.

A lot of times I'll have a rough plan, so I know the approximate mileage, and the nearest gas stations, but like I mentioned, those plans are basically a rough idea and frequently change due to trail conditions, weather, etc. But even following a planned route, it's not that hard to start hitting the range limits on the GX, especially off road. Bone stock I was only getting about 350 miles to the tank, after the lift, protection, and fully loaded, my range only went down. Add lower tire pressure, low gear, towing, soft sand, or any combinations of those and your mileage soon goes down to single digits and suddenly a full tank of gas isn't getting you as far as you want. I've averaged <10 mpg over a full tank more than once, so fuel capacity is always in the back of my mind. Also, just because the nearest gas station is <50 miles away, those 50 miles can easily be a 3-4 hour trip each way. Who wants to spend a whole day on a gas run?

That last example at Death Valley, I filled in Panamint springs, took hunter mountain around to the race track, then came down Lippincott. My original plan was to go through Saline Valley warm springs to Steele Pass and Eureka Dunes, but after talking to the caretaker, he warned me of the recent trail conditions and suggested not to attempt it. Since there was an oncoming storm with snow in the forecast, I took his advice and continued north on Saline Valley road instead with the intention of cutting over to Eureka dunes from the north. However, at the north end of Saline valley, I did some mental calculations and realized I'd be dangerously low on fuel trying to make it to the dunes and back (about 90 miles), especially not knowing what the road conditions were like. An extra 6 gallons would have made all the difference in that case. As it was, I cut the trip short and headed to Big Pine to fill up, and the first gas station I went to the pumps stopped working while I was refueling. Luckily there was one more gas station in town where I could fill up, because I wasn't sure I had the gas to make it to the next town.

Extra fuel doesn't just buy you more range, it also buys you more time. If something unforeseen happens, and you're stuck in the middle of the desert in 110 degree heat, or the mountains in sub freezing temperatures, have a few extra gallons will allow you to run the engine for heat or A/C for a few more hours or a day while you figure out a solution.
Ha-ha! It snowed/sleeted when we were at the Racetrack also! Hated the washboard roads.
Regarding Big Pine gas pump stopping, there's always Independence and Lone Pine north and Olancha south. A few gallons should get you to any one of those towns too!
By the way since you seem to know 395 a wee bit, that is one of my most favorite drives when we go up to Tahoe every year! Especially when you start passing Mammoth.

Last edited:
These aux tanks are made for different parts of the world other than the US market. There is not one GPS coordinate in the contiguous US that extra fuel is needed as a safety net. There is only one stretch in NV over 200 miles without a fuel station and never more than 150 miles anywhere else.

Reactions: r2m
Got to remember that when off road and running low tire pressure your MPG would be a lot less than what already dismal MPG. Not needed is mostly true for most people but when you need it you got to have it.

I am experimenting with DIY Aux tank and it seems it can be done easily and fairly cheap if you know how to fabricate simple stuff.

Got to remember that when off road and running low tire pressure your MPG would be a lot less than what already dismal MPG.

I thought we were talking about a Lexus 460GX? It gets outstanding fuel mileage for the platform. Even loaded down to max GVWR and low tire pressures you will still be getting average of 10mpg+. That is over 200 mile range. I have traveled cross country on a motorcycle with a 150 mile range and was never worried about bringing extra fuel.

These aux tanks are made for different parts of the world other than the US market. There is not one GPS coordinate in the contiguous US that extra fuel is needed as a safety net. There is only one stretch in NV over 200 miles without a fuel station and never more than 150 miles anywhere else.
Yes because every gas station in the US is open 24 hours a day and always have gas.

Yes because every gas station in the US is open 24 hours a day and always have gas.

You have to plan accordingly. A bunch of "overland" rigs are so weighted down with useless "what if" junk. Spare gas is at the very bottom of the list of what to bring on a rig that holds 23 gallons and has an over 200 mile range.

If we are in Mexico, Africa or Australia then it is a whole other conversation. I think it's safe top assume the OP is here in the states.

I've toyed with the idea of building a little cage with a way to hook up to the spare tire hoist. The cage would be sized to fit a scepter military fuel or water can.

If only I had fab skillz, lol.

I've toyed with the idea of building a little cage with a way to hook up to the spare tire hoist. The cage would be sized to fit a scepter military fuel or water can.

If only I had fab skillz, lol.
I know a lot of people go to adult night classes at their local community colleges for things like welding, auto repair, music, art, computer graphics/CAD, etc.
When doing these classes, often the students can work on/build their own project. So if you wanted to fabricate something, take a CAD class to design your ideal jerry can mount then take a fabrication, metal shop or welding class and build your project through the course of the class as you learn how to operate all the equipment. They'll have ALL the equipment and you're pretty much guaranteed not to lose any digits (fingers) or hurt yourself/equipment in the process.

Apparently someone never told him it’s impossible to run out of gas in the US.

Tragically this is driver error and poor planning. I have been to Death Valley dozens of times on both 4 wheel and 2 wheels. Never once have I even came close to running out of fuel. There are over a dozen gas stations surrounding the park and 2 inside the park that have fuel. And not having a tracking device such as SPOT or InReach is not using your brain.

Anywhere off the grid is very dangerous when there are no services nearby within reasonable walking distance. This is a tragic story and a stark reminder to have a backup plan and let someone know where you are.

Apparently someone never told him it’s impossible to run out of gas in the US.
Reading the article, the person had the brains of a toadstool. The article states, "His car was noticed by a park ranger on the morning of June 8 as it was the only one in the Zabriskie Point parking lot, one of the park’s most popular viewpoints, the release said." And then to add insult to injury (or death in this incident), he winds up giving up the ghost just 30 feet from highway I-90, a very well traveled highway! If he'd just stayed in his vehicle, either a visitor or state park personal would have found him within a day or so. And it would have been much cooler in his vehicle with the windows open for ventilation.

But we don't really know ALL the circumstances surrounding this, could be partially mental illness, disorientation, or?
This was truly a needless tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom