1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail Trailer Tongue Trivia...

Discussion in 'Trailer Tech' started by cruiseroutfit, Jan 22, 2004.

1. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Lots o'T's

Quick question for all you wise folks...

If you were building or had built a trail trailer (bacvk 1/2 of FJ40)... what length of tongue would you use? Do you think that 4' is enough from the front of the trailer to the hitch?

The way I figure it, 4' will give me plenty of room if I back up...

What are your thoughts?

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    IMO, the tongue should be long enuf for the Cruiser to be pointing "straight" up and your hardtop to still clear the front edge of the trailer....least likely chance of interference then.

Not that you would get that nuts with a trailer attached....hehehe...but ya never know....

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=10515;start=msg94230#msg94230 date=1074821096]
    Not that you would get that nuts with a trailer attached....hehehe...but ya never know....
    [/quote]

I have, and my M416 plays right along... that trailer is awsome!

4. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

Tonque on my trailer is adjustable. You want the trailer to be further away from your rig if you are going to wheel with it. Closer for highway towing. I would say a minimum of 5ft. :)

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    According to a friend who builds trailers, the tongue should be at least long enough to allow the trailer to be at right angles to the tow vehicle without hitting it. The shorter the distance between the tongue and the trailer axle, the faster the trailer will react to direction changes when backing up.

6. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=14;threadid=10515;start=msg94703#msg94703 date=1074903498]
    the tongue should be at least long enough to allow the trailer to be at right angles to the tow vehicle without hitting it.[/quote]

That's what I did when I made a new tonge for my M416A1. Measured from the hitch to a few inches past the bumper/fender. Makes turning around in tight spots a lot better.

Brandon

Olympia, WA