Trail Tailor Hidden Winch Mount works with Badlands Apex works on LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I wanted a winch and read a lot of reviews and between those reviews and my wallet constraints I decided to go with the Habor Freight Badland Apex 12000 wireless winch (25% off coupon worked) then I had to figure out if I wanted to make a hidden plate or buy one. I am so glad I decided to spend the money on the @TrailTailor winch plate. It was a perfect fit and very beefy.

Cut out the center section of the crashbar
Cut Crash Bar.jpg

After loosening the ASFIR skid plate and lowering it a couple of inches there was ample clearance for the plate to mount to the frame. Don't worry the skid went right back when it was all done with no clearance issues.
Plate Mounted.jpg

Slipped the bumper cover back on and aligned the three retainer clip holes to make sure it was on straight, then I used Trail Tailors instructions on how to mark where the fairlead will go on the bumper. I then drilled out the holes. (Notice my screwup on the left hole). I lined up the fairlead and traced it out. The jigsaw made quick work of the cut.
Trimming Bumper for Fairlead.jpg

Here the winch is already installed but I wanted to show how much of the bumper cover center brace needed to be trimmed.
Center Bumper Support trimmed.jpg

Winch all mounted up.
Winch Mounted.jpg

Thanks for this. Pretty sure I will be doing the same this spring. Would I be able to get to that freewheel lever on my LC? The grill does not lift with the hood. It does on the LX correct.

Not really sure. I'll look tonight.

Ya. I've got room in there to reach pretty easily I think.

Would love to do this, but @TRAIL TAILOR all sold out. Anyone know if any plans to produce more? I made a cardboard template last weekend and I’m sure I can do the 1/4 steel cutting, but definitely not bending... and $450 seems worth it for something well-built like all of his things. So glad to know the Apex Badland fits, since that’s what I was looking at. Question: why not relocate the control box (I think that’s what it’s called; the top part with “BADLAND” on it) on top to somewhere else so you wouldn’t have to trim the top bumper mount? (Not a criticism, just curious if that’s an option.) Thanks for this write up.

Would love to do this, but @TRAIL TAILOR all sold out. Anyone know if any plans to produce more? I made a cardboard template last weekend and I’m sure I can do the 1/4 steel cutting, but definitely not bending... and $450 seems worth it for something well-built like all of his things. So glad to know the Apex Badland fits, since that’s what I was looking at. Question: why not relocate the control box (I think that’s what it’s called; the top part with “BADLAND” on it) on top to somewhere else so you wouldn’t have to trim the top bumper mount? (Not a criticism, just curious if that’s an option.) Thanks for this write up.

I have 20 at powder right now. Should be available Wed next week.

Jason

I have 20 at powder right now. Should be available Wed next week.

Jason
Oh damn! Killer! Sign me up. (I actually just emailed you a little while ago.) So glad to hear; I thought this was something I totally missed out on and was going to have to reverse engineer. Thanks, Jason, I’ll check the site next week.
-Chris

Oh damn! Killer! Sign me up. (I actually just emailed you a little while ago.) So glad to hear; I thought this was something I totally missed out on and was going to have to reverse engineer. Thanks, Jason, I’ll check the site next week.
-Chris

If it shows sold out on the website... mean we still make and offer, just out of stock; usually waiting on the laser or powder coater or welding/production.

If a previous item is NOT on the website it is NLA from me.

Jason

why not relocate the control box (I think that’s what it’s called; the top part with “BADLAND” on it) on top to somewhere else so you wouldn’t have to trim the top bumper mount? (Not a criticism, just curious if that’s an option.) Thanks for this write up.
The section that had to be trimmed was pretty small and honestly the winch fair lead will add back more support than what you trimmed out. I didn’t move it up behind the grill for two reasons.
1.I didn’t want to block any air flow from the already small condenser/radiator surface
2. It fit with the slightest amount of trimming.

I wanted a winch and read a lot of reviews and between those reviews and my wallet constraints I decided to go with the Habor Freight Badland Apex 12000 wireless winch (25% off coupon worked) then I had to figure out if I wanted to make a hidden plate or buy one. I am so glad I decided to spend the money on the @TrailTailor winch plate. It was a perfect fit and very beefy.

Cut out the center section of the crashbar

After loosening the ASFIR skid plate and lowering it a couple of inches there was ample clearance for the plate to mount to the frame. Don't worry the skid went right back when it was all done with no clearance issues.

Slipped the bumper cover back on and aligned the three retainer clip holes to make sure it was on straight, then I used Trail Tailors instructions on how to mark where the fairlead will go on the bumper. I then drilled out the holes. (Notice my screwup on the left hole). I lined up the fairlead and traced it out. The jigsaw made quick work of the cut.

Here the winch is already installed but I wanted to show how much of the bumper cover center brace needed to be trimmed.

Winch all mounted up.

Do you mind sharing how to get the 25% off coupon?

On the second picture with the finished project there are 2 openings to either side of the fairlead. Is there anything there sturdy enough to mount some LED pods to?
Yes the bumper beam is right there. The beam actually goes almost all the way to the outside of the factory fogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom