For Sale Trail Tailor 4x4 Camping/Haul Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD!

Jason Reeves aka Trail Tailor aka @reevesci here on MUD and I collaborated on the design of this custom one-off trailer build. One of the big design elements that separate this trailer from my former AT Horizon trailer is it is built wider and lower with a much lower center of gravity. This trailer, unless driver stupidity plays a HUGE role :D, won't end up on its side or top! Regardless of terrain type, pavement or rugged rough double track, this trailer pulls like it's not there! Gross weight (bare trailer, not including battery & electronics): 975lbs.

I wanted full length "fenders"; we NEVER have enough table space when camping. And the two full length fender-shelves ARE FANTASTIC!!!

All steel construction with a cross-brake'd lid for efficient weight-to-rigidity. Jason sprayed the front, lead edges and bottom with color to match paint Monstaliner. All surfaces, inside, out, suspension components, etc. were sprayed with paint or Monstaliner.

The main box is 4'x6' plus the nose box. Edit 10/12/17: Box ID (inside frame uprights to inside frame uprights): 48-1/2" x 19" x 71-1/4". Lid ID height: 6". Floor to cross bar height at tailgate: 17-1/4". Metal to metal measurements.

The main cargo box lid is designed to be removable by sliding forward the lifting off. All latches are high quality SOUTHCO; no cheap crap here!

A few details:
Suspension: Toyota 60-Series leaf springs, basic shock absorbers (nothing more needed).
Axle & hubs: Dexter 3500lb with electric brakes.
Wheels & tires: 3) Cooper 265/75R16 Discoverer AT3 tires with 3) Toyota OEM 100-Series 16x8 wheels
Spare tire lift: OEM Toyota
Lighting: Recessed rear bumper LED tail/brake/directional lights.
48" wide LED tail/brake/directional light mounted on the rear of the lid for additional visibility.
Waterproof LED high output strip light mounted in the lid of the nose box.
Waterproof LED high output 120º x 42" long covered aluminum light bar mounted on the main cargo box's lid.
"Rock" LED under chassis mounted LED lights.

Full custom Trail Tailor roof rack.

Max Coupler Multi-Axis hitch with anti-rattle clamp

Has a super heavy duty reinforced 3/4" thick 4' x 6' rubber pad for the cargo floor.

Includes three (3) jacks: Nose and two designed to quickly be mounted to the rear frame corners for in-camp leveling. The two leveling jacks store neatly inside the main box.

I am a nut about dust ingress. I used polyurethane sealant on ALL panel seams: Main cargo & nose box. Additionally I installed commercial automotive grade commercial bulb seals on the nose box lid, rear tail gate & double seals on the cargo lid.

I also installed a fine dust filter assembly that equalizes pressure between the inside and outside of the trailer to minimize/eliminate dust being sucked into the trailer's box. Works!

Electrical
As it sits the nose box contains:
1) 200 Amp LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery
1) Xantrex PROWatt 2000 watt Sine Wave inverter
1) Victron BlueSolar MPPT 30/100 solar charge controller
1) Victron Bluetooth dongle for wireless control and monitoring of the battery/charge system (iPhone/iPad/Android)
1) BlueSea ACR charging isolator (feeds via dedicated 2AWG with Anderson 175 Powerpole connector
1) BlueSea fuse/distribution panel
1) Custom rocker switch box
2) MinnKota circuit breakers
Everything is fused using high quality wiring, crimped connections, adhesive type shrink at all spades/lugs, etc.
All the butt connectors on this trailer are 3M heat shrink type connectors.
2) Hubbell (edited 10/12) HBL60W47BK and HBL67W48BK IP65, 66 & 67 waterproof connector covers/connector housings mounted to the driver's side of the nose box: One is for 110v output from the Xantrex inverter and the other is for solar input to the Victron controller.

$7,500 without electrical components

More photos here: Dropbox - 2016 Trail Tailor Trailer pics

IMG_8126 2.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_6804.JPG
IMG_9242.JPG

Last edited:
man that a great looking trailer!

One more pic showing the usefulness of the 'fender-shelves' ... for espresso & cappuccino making :D

IMG_2686.JPG

Nice looking trailer. Just curious why LiPo battery and not lead acid?

Nice looking trailer. Just curious why LiPo battery and not lead acid?

I would not have used a traditional lead acid due to venting, maintenance, etc. So then it came down to AGM (Lifeline, Deka, Odyssey, etc.) or jumping off the high dive, so to speak, and trying on a lithium iron phosphate battery. Money aside, ahem, to date the LiFePO4 has been a slam dunk success.

It retains a static charge for months on end at 13.5 volts. It weighs only 55lbs which for a 200A battery that can be run down to 20% capacity is relatively lightweight. And to get the same performance characteristics from AGM I'd need at least two G31's ... and those wouldn't fit in the nose box and would weigh at least 100lbs more.

Mostly it has been an experiment for the next truck & full size trailer set-up. But it has no problem running my 1000w espresso machine, lights, etc. without blinking. Unless someone opts to purchase it soon it will get moved into the bed of the LBZ to serve as power source for a fridge/freeze, espresso machine, etc., when we de-couple from the trailer and go a little deeper ;).

did you change your power supply for the Ponte to Anderson plugs?
:)
GLWS.

^ nope. Just plugged the PV (and now Cremina) directly into the Xantrex inverter.

Very nice set up my friend.
GLWS

^ nope. Just plugged the PV (and now Cremina) directly into the Xantrex inverter.
Wow! I enjoy a very nice cup of coffee/espresso - but you are taking it to a whole new level if this is your "travel" set up! :cheers:
I can't imagine what you have brewing inside your home!

Please share the interior dimensions? 4' x 6' but also height? Height inside with lid closed and height inside under the tail gate cross bar?
thanks!

^ Will do, but it be a couple of days before I can get to where it is stored.

@LostAfrican

Box ID (inside frame uprights to inside frame uprights): 48-1/2" x 19" x 71-1/4"

Lid ID height: 6"

Floor to cross bar height at tailgate: 17-1/4"

Last edited:
Thanks!!!! I think the tail gate opening height is too low for me to get a fridge through, esp on a drawer slides. Still, could fit a fridge, just need to access it through the top lid.

Can you say more about your pressure equalizing filter? Would air and dust get sucked in when you opened the lid? What did you make the filter with?

The only fridge that might be a candidate is the ARB 63. At a published exterior height of 16.9" it might work, dunno.

Living at 5k' and exploring/camping from sea level to 11,000' a non-vented container needs to pressure equalize.

With the typical M101/Adventure Trailer/etc., trailer air is going to get sucked or purged through the lid/door gaskets. With lower internal pressure and dusty off-road conditions this results in dust being sucked past the seals. Its a constant chore of wiping the seals in camp. I have tons of experience with several trailers and they all do it ... If you don't care about dust ingress then its all moot.

But until you've pulled a cargo/haul/camp trailer down hundreds/thousands of miles of dusty western US trails & roads its something that beginner trailer owners never think about. It is difficult to fathom how much dust can get sucked past a tiny hole or crevice and into the trailer's compartments. With 99% of the "off-road" trailers out there you better bring a shovel and dust pan! I was fastidious about the seals and also applied clear poly sealant over every seam, main and nose box, to eliminate 99% of the dust ingress.

The filter frame is a Briggs-Stratton PN with a fine catch pleated paper element filter. This allows the nose and box to pressure equalize removing 99% of the problem of dust being forced past the tailgate and/or main lid seals. Simply: It works.

In the land of off-road trailers, including all things Adventure Trailers brand, this trailer ticks off all the boxes relative to what it was designed to do. On paper it probably seems like a M101/M101 copy ... with $$ attached. But it is a vastly superior trailer for hauling camp gear and more. And no compare to chassis, box(es), etc., design and construction/durability.

It tracks like its not there, even with full load thanks to the full size 60-Series size springs and separate shocks. And Jason built a REAL roof rack for it.

HTH.

Dan

Bump with lowered price.

Electrics have been reassigned to my LBZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom