Trail Gear reduction gears feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i changed my oil at 500 miles then 1000 after that.

At 500 miles it was dark and full of metallic sparkles. The change at 1ooo had no metallic sparkles yet was still pretty dark. I'd wager that the next change will be super clean.

I changed the TC oil at approx. 300 miles and one hard wheeling session. It drained out like new. The inside of my tcase was very clean prior. Like new clean. I never seen anything like that for well over 200k.
I will likely change again in a couple months. For $13 why not right.

The TG gears work flawlessly. I really like the change. 5.29's and these gears are a nice combo. Still not a creepy crawler but great for an 80

I wanted to bump this for others. I just completed a long road trip. Flogged my 80 all over UT and CO including 150 miles off road straight for 3 days. Gears held up fine. Nothing blew up due to being "chinesium". Doing my part to combat mud OCD.

Been over a year on since anyone updated this so has anyone blown up their TG gears yet?

I flogged mine for over 2500 hard off road miles with 0 problems

I flogged mine for over 2500 hard off road miles with 0 problems

Wow that’s a lot of miles in low gear! Did you really traveled 2500 miles in low range? That would take a while, must be nice!

I've had mine in for probably a couple years now. No issues what so ever and I've beaten them. A couple trips to Utah, towing a trailer in low for hundreds of miles at a time. I have zero concerns of their quality

Just installed a set. Very noticeable whine in low range, even at 5-10mph. Hoping it will quieten down a bit as they bed in.... High range is unaffected.

Just installed a set. Very noticeable whine in low range, even at 5-10mph. Hoping it will quieten down a bit as they bed in.... High range is unaffected.
The gears are moving much faster then the stock one's so you are going to have the Whine. I doubt it will get better as mine still have the whine. Also there's the fact that only one gear is replaced so they will never mesh perfectly. The whine is normal. JMHO

Wow that’s a lot of miles in low gear! Did you really traveled 2500 miles in low range? That would take a while, must be nice!
Qball I bough and built my rig as a trail Reg. I have never DD it, I am closing in on 4K mi. on the Reg since I built it. It a trailer Queen so 95 percent of the mile are off road and I run some of the hardest trails out there so Ya I have put a lot of miles on it in low range. I will be heading out for Sand Hollow this Friday for some hard core rock Crawling can't wait, it going to be a blast. I push to get it out on the trail at least once a month twice if I can. And when I go its two to three day at a time. Longer trips Like Moab I stay week and wheel ever day.
Oh yeah I built it as a rock Crawler not a overland Reg even though most people said it was a bad idea.

I’d expect the low range whine to continue. It’s also present with Nitro 4.88’s installed in the front/rear diffs. Not a concern.

The gears are moving much faster then the stock one's so you are going to have the Whine. I doubt it will get better as mine still have the whine. Also there's the fact that only one gear is replaced so they will never mesh perfectly. The whine is normal. JMHO
That's an interesting theory. I have been holding back on t-case regearing because of this but curious to know if only replacing the lower range gear amplifies the whine.

I’d expect the low range whine to continue. It’s also present with Nitro 4.88’s installed in the front/rear diffs. Not a concern.
Never have heard a whine with diff gears. How long has it been since you've had them installed?

That's an interesting theory. I have been holding back on t-case regearing because of this but curious to know if only replacing the lower range gear amplifies the whine.
What other gears are you referring this thread is about TG low range gears. It's not a theory only one gear is replaced and it 30 present larger , there's no way it can mash perfectly like the OEM gears witch were designed as a set.

Never have heard a whine with diff gears. How long has it been since you've had them installed?
I never have either unless they were set up wrong or they are worn out. There's no whine with my 5.29s

Anyone have experience with the Hi Range Overdrive or Underdrive gears?

Here are my thoughts immediately after install.

My opinion still stands and no noticeable noise still from the Hi Range Underdrive gears. Would definitely do it again.

Im running the UD high range gears - they whine.

I am also running UD high range and Trail Gear Low range gears.
The UD high range wine and the TG low range wine... so I get a lot of wine no matter what!
It works but It does affect my OCD.. I cant tell if the wine is gears or bearing failure, so I change my oil every engine oil change (10k with synthetic) to monitor metal content in the gear oil.

I’ve got both the UD Sumo gears and Trailgear Low gears in my case. The whine in high range is subtle and honestly feels like it quieted a tiny bit. I barely hear it anymore, I’ve likely gotten used to it much like when you throw on some beefier AT or Mud tires. The low range whine is definitely louder then the high. Maybe 4-5x louder.

I’m rebuilding another case now this time with Sumo UD AND Sumo low gears so I’ll have a good point of reference for the whole low range whine between the two brands.

I’ve got both the UD Sumo gears and Trailgear Low gears in my case. The whine in high range is subtle and honestly feels like it quieted a tiny bit. I barely hear it anymore, I’ve likely gotten used to it much like when you throw on some beefier AT or Mud tires. The low range whine is definitely louder then the high. Maybe 4-5x louder.

I’m rebuilding another case now this time with Sumo UD AND Sumo low gears so I’ll have a good point of reference for the whole low range whine between the two brands.
I have the Japanese made low range gear set and have noticed no increase in gear noise when in low range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom