Trail Gear reduction gears feedback (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The gears are moving much faster then the stock one's so you are going to have the Whine. I doubt it will get better as mine still have the whine. Also there's the fact that only one gear is replaced so they will never mesh perfectly. The whine is normal. JMHO
Please elaborate on your statement about only one gear being replaced. Are you saying that the TG low range set comes only with one single gear? Not a paired set?

I’d expect the low range whine to continue. It’s also present with Nitro 4.88’s installed in the front/rear diffs. Not a concern.
My diffs were built by Just Differentials so I’m assuming they used Nitro 4.88 gears. My rig is part time and the rear diff produces a whine but only when I’m floating on and off the throttle and the gears are under little to no load at higher speeds. Does this sound familiar?

I have the Sumo gears low range reduction and High range underdrive. The high range UD has a whine, it's not like it's louder than stock gears though. I would say its just a higher pitch whine, I don't notice it anymore. Low range is the same, no real increase in noise. I can't speak for the trail gear sets, but gear noise with the Sumo sets is a non issue for me.

My diffs were built by Just Differentials so I’m assuming they used Nitro 4.88 gears. My rig is part time and the rear diff produces a whine but only when I’m floating on and off the throttle and the gears are under little to no load at higher speeds. Does this sound familiar?
I was referring to a healthy-sounding low gearing whine when in low-low while climbing a long obstacle with a fair amount of RPM’s. Such as you might do when you don’t want to lose momentum. In addition to 4.88’s I have the transfer case low range reduction. Perhaps it’s the combination of both. Imho, it’s an ideal setup that allows more control offroad and better drive-ability on road.

I also have a slight touch of what you described as well. Maybe above 50 mph. Not enough that it’s distracting but it’s there if you listen. Mine were installed by Christo/whoever Christo uses to set up gears.

Couldn’t be happier unless I had one of Joey’s turbos.

I was referring to a healthy-sounding low gearing whine when in low-low while climbing a long obstacle with a fair amount of RPM’s. Such as you might do when you don’t want to lose momentum. In addition to 4.88’s I have the transfer case low range reduction. Perhaps it’s the combination of both. Imho, it’s an ideal setup that allows more control offroad and better drive-ability on road.

I also have a slight touch of what you described as well. Maybe above 50 mph. Not enough that it’s distracting but it’s there if you listen. Mine where installed by Christo/whoever Christo uses to set up gears.

Couldn’t be happier unless I had one of Joey’s turbos.
I have the same exact equipment.

Reactions: MoJ
Thankx for all the input. SOUNDS like I won't worry about noise levels when I regear. My exhaust is a bit louder than most, so likely I will never hear them at all.😎😎

Thankx for all the input. SOUNDS like I won't worry about noise levels when I regear. My exhaust is a bit louder than most, so likely I will never hear them at all.😎😎

I said the same thing, was still a bit skeptical but in the end its nothing to worry about

Please elaborate on your statement about only one gear being replaced. Are you saying that the TG low range set comes only with one single gear? Not a paired set?
My Bad, The TG low range gear set comes with a paired set of gears. Sorry for miss information !!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom