Trail Gear reduction gears feedback (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine have a noticeable whine on deceleration not as much while cruising or accelerating. I imagine a heavier weight oil would reduce the noise.

Well I finished up the TG Gear install. It works. I didn't notice a difference in noise. Can't wait to get it on the trail. It sure is a big difference just holding brakes while it's in drive. It wants to wheel. Ha.
20170302_200129.jpg
20170302_200008.jpg
20170301_223317_001.jpg

Saw Marlin at the King of the Hammers. He alluded to outsourcing production to China because they can't keep up with copy cats. We've seen outsourcing on a grand scale with domestic producers of many goods outsourcing to keep up with consumers thirst for "high" quality, but low price. It's only a matter of time for the little guys too

Interesting, I noticed no additional gear whine from the TG gears.
In high range no noticeable Gear whine with the TG gears, In low range if I get in drive There is more Gear whine but I contribute that to the higher speed the gears are turning. Low speed crawling no additional gear whine.

Curious, what is the cost for a reputable shop to install this item?

I'm very happy with my stock gearing and 35's for on-road and general off-road performance, but for low range...

I am gonna install these gears soon as well. Only quotes I have gotten so far were $350 labor. But that is if I take out the transfer case and bring it to them. Also seems like this is a very uncommon mod. Because several shops that supposedly specialized in t-case work seemed confused about what I actually wanted done.

The shop I used charged 650.00 to do the job. They pulled the transfer case.

Pulling the t-case is totally unnecessary having had the t-case apart several times on both 80 & 100 series.

$350 would be a great deal $500 - $700 would be average cost around here. The press work is time consuming and cutting and grinding of the case should be done with care giving the contaminants produced.

I told the shop pulling the case was unnecessary but they said it was easier to work on it on the bench. Sense the cost was a flat rate I said have at it.

Pulling the t-case is totally unnecessary having had the t-case apart several times on both 80 & 100 series.

$350 would be a great deal $500 - $700 would be average cost around here. The press work is time consuming and cutting and grinding of the case should be done with care giving the contaminants produced.

How far did you have to lower the TC to get to the top cover plate on the TC so the idle gear and the front output shaft gear would slide out? Or did you just drop the whole crossmember?

Phil given the contaminants you spake of would you recommend changing the oil soon after the installation.

How far did you have to lower the TC to get to the top cover plate on the TC so the idle gear and the front output shaft gear would slide out? Or did you just drop the whole crossmember?

On the 80 series maybe 2" max just for better access to the center diff actuator not really needed on the 100 series.

Last edited:
On the 80 series maybe 2" max just for better access to the actuator not really needed on the 100 series.
When I did my part time spool install, I lowered the crossmember about an inch or so and it seemed like it was still a very tight fit between the top of TC and the floor of 80.. If I do this in the near future, I might just remove the whole crossmember and hold the weight of the tranny/tc on floor jack..

Don't sell out to the enemy. And don't fool yourself; they hate you. If I can knowingly keep my money out of China's hands, that's what I will do. Chinese gears in a Toyota transfer case? Do you also by the cheapest tires you can find?

Remember Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, if the Chinese produced all the discontinued parts for the 60 and 80 you know I'd be buying in bulk!

realistically there are to many products out on the market that are made in China or "outsourced" then repackaged with the popular brand name. You probably have some made in China parts on you rig now!

For some reason this whole argument reminds me of the gobi rack thing!?

Remember Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, if the Chinese produced all the discontinued parts for the 60 and 80 you know I'd be buying in bulk!

realistically there are to many products out on the market that are made in China or "outsourced" then repackaged with the popular brand name. You probably have some made in China parts on you rig now!

For some reason this whole argument reminds me of the gobi rack thing!?
Japan is not communist. Japan is transparent and now an ally. No comparison there. Those who we have always considered enemies are buying gold as fast they can and are far from transparent. Why?

When all LC parts are made in china, I will have a decision to make and I'm sure it will be in favor of an American made backpack and boots.

If I have Chinesium on my 80 it was put there by a PO or else I made an uninformed purchase. Thanks for reminding me to be ever vigilant. :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom