Trail Essentials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After some discussion at the last meeting, the consensus was to compile a list of "required (mandatory)" and "nice to have" gear that you should carry when going off road. Feel free to add to the list of make corrections. This thread will most likely be made into a sticky.

Required
A safe and Reliable vehicle
Full tank of fuel
Full size spare tire (the same size as the other four)
Some way to lift your vehicle so you can remove your tire
Warm clothes, rugged footwear, water and some food
Tow strap and shackle
Toolkit
Matches/lighter

Nice to Have
Winch
Hi-lift jack
Handheld Radios/cb
GPS and backroads mapbook
Spare Birfield
Gear oil, Engine oil, Brake fluid, ATF
Hub socket
Zip ties, electrical tape, hose claps nut and bolts

Required:

Tea.

And

A contact phone # in case of a later then planed trip.

first aid kit, axe, air compressor

:flipoff2: I wan't even referring to that death trap, it's still languishing amongst the thistles...

which reminds me, is that your truck I can hear rusting?

now back to our scheduled programming....

if there's lots of off camber stuff, an extra pair of pants might be a good idea...

Old post but i wanted to add power steering fluid to this list after an leak we sprung while wheeling on the 18th. Something i always carry is a plastic waterproof bag with newspaper and dry kindling.

Old post but i wanted to add power steering fluid to this list after an leak we sprung while wheeling on the 18th. Something i always carry is a plastic waterproof bag with newspaper and dry kindling.

Power steering fluid won't help me... Unless it burns well:hmm:

Bringing an old thread back to life... hey speaking of which, does anyone have an extra hub socket they could part with? :)

What I carry... pretty much year round...

- Enough food for the family for several days, including some food that is more pleasurable to eat. (comfort food)
- 4L of water, as well as that special stuff you can add to random stream water to make it safe
- Large first aid kid
- Maps, GPS, cell phone chargers, USB chargers (Any other device), cell phone(s)
- A couple 1lbs propane canisters
- A couple BIC lighters, a container of matches
- Propane stove, propane torch with click-start for starting fires when it's too cold for lighters, propane light
- Flashlight, backup flashlight that has a long expiration date on the batteries, extra batteries
- Toilet paper and shop towels!
- Tree saw (bow style), smaller axe
- Several newspapers for starting fires and DRY kindling
- Tarp and throw-down blanket
- Camping cooking set (pots, pans, dishes, bowls, cups, cutlery, can opener, sharp knife)
- Extra wool blankets for everyone, as well as an emergency blanket
- Sleeping bag good for cold weather
- Extra clothes, work gloves, winter gloves
- Playing cards and games (for passing time)
- Flares
- SPOT device
- Tools and spare parts, OBA, impact gun, tire inflator gun
- Full sized spare tire and tire patch kit
- Spare oils and fluids for the truck
- Extra windshield washer fluid
- Recovery gear (winch, remote, 30 ft recovery strap, tree saver, snatch block, several high quality D rings in various sizes, etc)
- Jumper cables
- Jumper battery pack (only if going for a long time)
- Winter only: Large deep shovel for snow
- Winter only: 4x chains
- Hi-lift jack, regular bottle jack, tire iron(s), extra lug nuts, full sized spare tire, valve tool and extra tire valves, tire pressure gauge
- Chain saw (don't usually carry unless going wheeling)
- Extra diesel (again only for long trips)

Last edited:
From past experience, after using a buddies monster Ramcharger one weekend:

Full size (38") spare tire.

very very big jack.

Lug wrench that works for both the front (d70) and rear (eaton) axles.

Practice using the ether trick at home first to seat a bead.

Burn supplies in the first aid kit.

Large tire patches in tire repair kit (because you had NO spare) to fix the massive hole that you only thought was originally a popped bead.

Good friends to help as you leave the truck in the bush for the night and they drive you back out the next day to put a new tire on.

Bringing an old thread back to life... hey speaking of which, does anyone have an extra hub socket they could part with? :)

- Enough food for the family for several days, including some food that is more pleasurable to eat. (comfort food)
- 4L of water, as well as that special stuff you can add to random stream water to make it safe
- Large first aid kid
- Maps, GPS, cell phone chargers, USB chargers (Any other device), cell phone(s)
- Propane stove, propane torch with click-start for starting fires when it's too cold for lighters, propane light
- Flashlight, backup flashlight that has a long expiration date on the batteries, extra batteries
- Camping cooking set (pots, pans, dishes, bowls, cups, cutlery, can opener, sharp knife)
- Flares
- SPOT device
- Recovery gear (winch, remote, 30 ft recovery strap, tree saver, snatch block, several high quality D rings in various sizes, etc)
- Jumper cables
- Hi-lift jack, regular bottle jack, tire iron(s), extra lug nuts, full sized spare tire, valve tool and extra tire valves, tire pressure gauge

You can get the hub sockets from princess auto for 10 dollars even go on a 1/2 inch instead of the bigger 3/4 inch ones that need an adaptor.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8412777/Pullers-And-Bearing-Tools/54-mm-Hex-Locknut-Socket

- Large first aid kid
- Flares
- SPOT device
- Jumper cables

Can we see pics of all this in/on the truck ....................with passengers?

So at what point does the extra crap cause undue stress on the axles and birfields?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom