Trail Communication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We discussed this at the meeting tonight. After looking it over a bit I vote we go the GMRS route. Easy to get legal (license is $ only, no test), clarity was very good in Arkansas, radios relatively cheap.
I agree with the GMRS. Illegally using HAM radios without a license is not a good idea. The midlands are cheap, easy to work and reliable.

Yes, they did. Had a good time on the radios. I'm glad I got one.

Which one did you go with?
He's running this 15W midland GMRS. BTW, midland has 20% discount codes for signing up for their email list

I think he got the bundle with a better antenna, mount and cable

Last edited:
He's running this 15W midland GMRS. BTW, midland has 20% discount codes for signing up for their email list

Thoughts on the best handheld option? I don't want to mount anything in my cab if I can help it.

Thoughts on the best handheld option? I don't want to mount anything in my cab if I can help it.
Eric and myself used these this weekend and they work well. Good range and very clear.
They just came out with a new Xtalker this week.

You can see the different FRS/GMRS radios they offer:
The micromobile units are here:

I probably overbought the radio. I think I might be trying to satiate some Bandit fantasy I did not know I had.

But as for mounting the radio it is a lot smaller than it looks in the picture and I just velcro'd it to the side of the console works great.

But since all you probably need one for is talking on the trail within sight of everyone then any one of those handhelds would be more than adequate.

Edit: my next project is a navigation solution. As an artillery officer I get bent out of shape whenever I don't have lat/long coordinates and an eight-digit grid for wherever I am at any given time.

Last edited:
Yep added a Mildland MTX 115 and stubby antenna up on the hood.

FWIW the baefeng can work with FRS/GMRS
Do you have one of these? I have been on the fence about getting one for years and every time I sit down to chose one I get option/information overload and end up not getting anything.

Thats not entirely true.... I bought a sort of cheap frs/gmrs in March of last year, I dont remember what I was worried about at the time..... but anyway, they are basically garbage nothing beyond line of sight.

Do you have one of these? I have been on the fence about getting one for years and every time I sit down to chose one I get option/information overload and end up not getting anything.

Thats not entirely true.... I bought a sort of cheap frs/gmrs in March of last year, I dont remember what I was worried about at the time..... but anyway, they are basically garbage nothing beyond line of sight.
Pretty much everyone in our group uses them. Cheap and easy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom