Tractor-Electrical problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Tractor is a Massey Ferguson 1540

1-Tried to start it and it turned once then clicked
2-I heard sort of a buzzing sound when it stopped turning over
3-I replaced the main battery terminal that was crusted away and cleaned up main and secondary wire to main terminal
4-Two large main fuses right at the battery are good
5-Battery at 12.8 volts, even hooked up a jumper battery to it
6-No dash lights, headlights, turn signals, 4 ways
7-All fuses in fuse box are live and fuses are good
8-When I stepped away from the tractor and returned the right turn signal was blinking. I turned it off and tried turning it on again and something clicked and back to zero power.
9-There is a relay near the battery, I replaced it with two new relays, no change.
10-Main cable to battery has power.

I am thinking there is another relay or something that may have died when power was arching. Nothing electrical is working. What stumps me is that the main fuse box has power.
Diving into it now, here on the interwebs.

This is much newer tractor tech than my experience, but as I recall our IH 966 had a starter lock out that required engagement of clutch+brakes for it to turn over. That is pre-1980 tech, so it is likely that they have added more safety precautions since then.

Is your research pulling up any info on safety features with unpleasant personalities?

Good luck

I've had similar issues with my JD 950. Turned out to be a loose battery ground. Freshened up the ground point on the frame and it fired right up. The JD is an early 80's. It has the clutch lock-out as well.

Thanks for the input guys

-The key switch is #1 on the list
-I checked the main ground and the two grounds attached at the same point and they were good. Checked power at the starter using a frame bolt near it as ground and got bright bulb and also checked continuity frame to neg terminal with good results. Might be something as stupid as a pig tail to the frame from the starter switch as a ground.

It has a safety switch on the gear selector, must be in N (shuttle trans) and another on the clutch pedal

The thing that keeps me wondering is that the fuse block, about 6 fuses, is hot yet nothing electrical works.

Not sure if the switching on specific items is on POS or NEG

Heading out now to take dash apart and check out the key switch and the N safety switch. If nothing I am off to the MF dealer for the electrical schematics, no luck even narrowing one down on the net.

Stinking GROUNDS!! So, this morning pretty much the same, except when I turn on four ways, relay worked but no flash at the lights. Same with turn signals and head lights. So I took apart all grounds, cleaned them all up with emery cloth. Like magic, it all works again. Not sure which particular ground it was because some had to be working in order for the relays to operate.

Thanks again for the input. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom