Traction Control kicking on during normal driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so i know there are other threads out about this problem but it doesn't seem anyone has a clear answer on what the the issue is.

I recently went from a 33" to a 35" tire, at the same time i did new upper control arms, outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings, and alignment. Prior to replacing these parts i would get the occasional beeping with the skid light around certain curves. It was pretty rare and the trac control never kicked on.
Now with the 35's and mountain driving the beeping is almost a constant around every turn AND the traction control did kick on on several occasions.

After reading some threads i cleaned all 4 abs sensors, nothing changed. I brought it to Toyota to have them perform a Zero point calibration of the Yaw and G sensors. The tech said he drove it and saw the the Yaw sensor is at 0* and reseting it would be waste of money. He stated it was doing what it was supposed to do, at 15* it would kick on trac control thinking the truck was rolling and Told me i had too much body roll and weight.
Now I can tell you I DO NOT have excessive body roll in fact i would say its very well mannered for the size and weight, it handles very well. They charged $125 and told me theres nothing they can do.

I hooked up my scanner and can see while driving that yaw is at 0* but my steering angle sensor is at 5.16* with the wheel straight. Is that enough to screw things up? When trying to recalibrate with my scanner it wouldn't work.

Im not sure what to do at this point, i hate throwing money at things like this. Im almost certain that its a sensor somewhere, i can almost anticipate the beeping based on the turn I'm taking.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts as to what to do next?

Bearings are all good....

I know you probably have.. but have you checked your wheel bearings yet?

Also post up specs on your rig or fill out your sig please.

Bearings are good and tight.

2000 240K Iron man T-bars and heavy coils, bumpers front/rear, Drawers, 285/75/18, etc.

Is there a way to test wheel speed sensors? Makes me wonder if you have one going out and the 35s are amplifying the issues.

I can see the speed of each wheel with my scanner and they are all showing the same speed while driving, the tech at Toyota also confirmed the sensors are working as they should, as far as what they do for the traction control I'm not sure how to check that.

I'm just wondering if maybe one sensor is more sensitive than the other, if that's even possible.

I believe you can observe and test the wheel sensor pulses using an oscilloscope. I'm pretty sure I saw that in the FSM.

I hooked up my scanner and can see while driving that yaw is at 0* but my steering angle sensor is at 5.16* with the wheel straight. Is that enough to screw things up? When trying to recalibrate with my scanner it wouldn't work

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts as to what to do next?
If you search "steering angle sensor" posts by @uHu you'll get the procedure for resetting your SAS angle, may not resolve your issue but with these VSC issues it seems you need to eliminate each element of the VSC functional chain and hope you find the problem(s).

Just to update this thread, I brought the truck to SLEE to see if they could figure out what was going on. They did a zero point calibration, checked all the abs sensors etc. After some tests they thought the Trac module or steering angle sensor might be bad. I brought my Lx470 over so they could swap parts. After swapping there was no difference. They are also at a loss as to what could be causing it, the tech said that at this point he doesn't think its anything electrical. I did not replace inner tie rods (just outers) so i will be replacing those and having them do an alignment, to see if that changes anything.
I do want to say the guys at SLEE are AWESOME they spend a lot of time on my truck and barley charged for the service because they could not find the problem. Unlike the dealer who robbed me.

Any ideas are still very welcome!

I have the same issue with my newly acquired LX470 and mine does have play in the inner tie rods. It scared the s*** out of me when I took a high speed banking turn on the freeway. I've searched a few threads and a few members point to the same issue with the inner tie rods and that solved their problem... Hopefully I can replace mine later this week.

very interested in this as i have a similar issue.

New inner tie rods, New lower control arms (with new ball joints) and a Good alignment shop did alignment. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! I'm seriously at a loss and very frustrated at this point. Im not sure what else to do. Can the steering rack fail internally causing enough play to cause this?

Is it possible that its not the front end? Something to do with the rear axle?

Do you have low voltage, weak battery or alternator on the way out? A re your sway bar end links in good shape as well as your drive flange/cv splines?

Bump because this just happened and it scared the sh*t out of me...I was going about 45mph around a very gradual left-banking overpass. Keep in mind I was at the apex of the turn when this happened about 50ft ABOVE THE ONCOMING LANES OF THE INTERSTATE..... The orange skid control light came on and it started beeping and I believe it was only my right front and rear tires that were effected by ABS because it pulled me to the right and damn near through the barrier wall of the overpass and down. Don’t like that at all. Will check wheel and steering angle sensors later this evening. I’m going back home to change my underwear. Still no solution?? I might just try disconnecting the battery for about an hour or so to see if that helps.

Check your front out for play, steering rack bushings, tie rods to start as well as tire pressures.

as well as tire pressures
New tires completely fixed what had been a difficult diagnosis for me. I was losing air in a couple, inconsistently. They were fairly (9 year) old Michelins, and in the Southern California winter with temp swings of 35 degrees over the course of a couple hours in the morning, my tire pressures were all over the place. New rubber, no more VSC beep and dangerous autonomous freeway braking.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out if there is actually something wrong with the vehicle. If you have identified that there is not something wrong with the truck itself, then you may realize that the VSC system may not operate properly on a modified vehicle. In which case, you can use your discretion to turn the system off.

VSC OFF switch install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom