Traction control in my UZJ100 vs my Tundra (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have researched and read many different forums, but cannot seem to get to the bottom of this... You 100 owners seem to be the only ones who understand traction control, so here goes: I own an 03 UZJ100 and absolutely love it. I would have bought a second one in a heartbeat, but just can't seem to fit in the LC for long trips (5 people, dog, camping and hiking gear, etc), so I now have an 05 Tundra DC 4x4 with stability control/traction control/auto LSD. The hard part is, when ever we are in the middle of nowhere, we are in the pickup, not the LC, so all the advance features of the LC are not being taken advantage of. Is the Tundra's traction control system really lame? Is it even working at all when in 4WD? If not, should I at least get a rear locker to bring its capabilities anywhere near that of my 100?

It really is kinda sad... I want to get a winch, better tires, etc, for the vehicle I will be in when in the woods/mud/backcountry, and it seems to be such a natural to spend the money upgrading the 100....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replys!

afraid I don't know about the Tundra. Owner's manual and Toy tech info should tell you when it's working. (If it's not working in low, what's the point, so gotta be.)

but isn't this academic? the real issue is whether the Trac works well enough for you when you use it. Go out and have some fun in the places you normally would go and learn the limitations of your truck while you're driving it. It would be premature IMHO to buy a locker before you have a) been stuck serveral times b) this despite your driving skills improving - even if you're already good.

And yes, one would assume that the Tundra will not be doing as well offroad as the LC (good year too, btw).

Barring size, the Tundra will have no problems traveling through the same area's that your cruiser could. My father and I share a 01 Tundra Limited access cab for various work and towing duties, some of which are quite far offroad... it doesn't have the traction control or the limted slip diff of your 05, and it still does great offroad. The best upgrades were the D load range 285/75R16 BFG AT's and Bilstein adjustable front coil over shocks (adjusted for about 2" of lift).

Thanks for the replys! I was feeling better about the Tundra, but then the following was from Shotts in another thread:

"Do NOT buy the Seq for "off-roading". Not only is it too big and not really built for it, but the traction control is not "tuned" for off-road use. It's tuned for safety on-road. Forest roads OK. Trails? NOPE!"

This is the stuff I was wondering about! (Seq=Tundra w.r.t. traction control)

I was hoping Shotts would chime in here.

Look at this way, the Tundra is a 1/2 ton full size truck. It is built very well, and will last a long time. Again, barring size constraints for where you plan to travel with it, it's a great rig. The Land Cruiser is and always has been what I consider to be a 3/4 ton vehicle, it will probably be a more durable vehicle.

how about adding a trailer....something like the m101 or a roof rack....

It might get you the room you need in the 100 series...

bk

Tundra DC is huge, much longer wheelbase, etc. as your Land Cruiser. Fine for wide open spaces and logging roads I'm sure, but I scrape the heck out of my LC on Jeep size trails and can't imagine doing them in a Tundra.

Plenty of upgrades available for that Tundra though. I would do the following:

Donahoe or Camburgs coilovers (adjustable and rebuildable)
Deaver add-a-leaf pack and Bilstein 5100's
ARB rear locker
285 75r16 AT tires

Should look and perform well;)

check out the products at www.wheelersoffroad.com

there are different generations of ATRAC (ATRAC I, ATRAC II, ATRAC II+). The 2003 + 4Runner and the 100 apparently have the most advanced generation of the ATRAC. Perhaps the Tundra/Sequoia, being of US origin, have a different/earlier generation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom