Toyota's new fascination w/ Torx on the 100? (1 Viewer)

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
12,259
Location
Knee deep in hookers and gin
 
 
 
 
Everybody is like that.

Easier to install at the factory is my guess

Looks better too.

The good news is that they are much easier to get off when they are old
 
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
149
Location
Chandler, AZ
Conspiracy by the tool companys. Need people to buy new tools. Look at the NG containers they change nozzle types every few years... claiming, better safety... I am sure that's the top proirity and not the fact everyones gotta buy new stuff
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
1,186
Location
Kansas City, MO
 
 
 
rzpapp said:
Conspiracy by the tool companys. Need people to buy new tools. Look at the NG containers they change nozzle types every few years... claiming, better safety... I am sure that's the top proirity and not the fact everyones gotta buy new stuff
Yeah, because buying a torx socket is all of $1.
:rolleyes:

I think it's just mechanical progression. Screws used to all be flat-head, then phillips, now torx... each one a little better than the previous.

I've noticed alot of professional built decks and homes are going to torx sockets for these reasons as well.
 

Landpimp

GOLD Star
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
16,065
Location
Gig Harbor WA
 
 
 
because they can use machines(robots?) not humans I suspect.

when I reliazed it was my 1st cruiser them............. I was kinda Torxed off :D
 
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
22
did you mean torque tools? like torque wrench and stuff? so that each nut and bolt requires a pre determined ft/lb of force? or did you mean the Torx the hex head kind of screws?
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
2,784
Location
Morrison Formation
 
 
 
Don't know to whom your asking about torque vs torx, but I'm talking about the torx design 15 and 0 degree pressure face tools and `sockets' if you will.
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
3,498
Location
Gleneagle, CO
 
 
 
Also throws off the petty theives in the third world who can't afford a $1 tool for at least a couple of weeks.
 
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
22
3fj40 said:
Don't know to whom your asking about torque vs torx, but I'm talking about the torx design 15 and 0 degree pressure face tools and `sockets' if you will.
ohh my bad :) i spend too much time on my corvette and on that everythign is torqued :)
 
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
2,357
Location
Left Coast, USA
 
NMuzj100 said:
Also throws off the petty theives in the third world who can't afford a $1 tool for at least a couple of weeks.

This is the reasoning I see as well. On some vehicles I've seen, every bolt or screw is a regular hex or Phillips, except for the license plate, which is Torx. Nowadays, with people carrying Phillips and flat on their keychains (Leathermans, Swiss Army knives, etc.), a Torx is just unique enough to prevent someone from having one handy to get your plates (or lenses, or headlamps, etc.). Sort of like an alarm system: it won't stop the determined and skilled thief, but may make it easier for them to move on to another vehicle.

My $0.02,
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom