Toyota red coolant.....Toyota pink coolant, which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I am going to be changing the coolant in two Highlanders (uncle and mom), one is a 2001 and the other is a 2006. The 2001 is a 3.0 V6, and the 2006 is a 3.3 V6. I need some guidance on the type of coolant to use.
I stopped at the Toyota dealer, and they said the 2006 has Toyota pink coolant, which is premixed. I am simply draining the coolant in the radiator, so I have two gallons of pink coolant. I assume that I can just drain the radiator and fill it back up , with the pink and at least have some fresh coolant with no worries about freeze protection since it is all premixed.
However the dealer thinks the 2001 has Toyota red coolant. Is red premixed? Are red and pink interchangeable? If the red is not premixed, can I just drain the radiator and refill it? Should I mix it half and half?
Also how much coolant should I need? Is two gallons enough?

Thanks everyone,
Zack

I have been told they are not to be mixed. I currently have red in my Tacoma, 4Runner and green in my 60. Been wondering which is best for my 60.

I've drained and flushed with water then bought part stores all makes all models and have no issue, 10k later.

02 tacoma with the v6

I ran napa green in my 80 without any trouble. and i havent heard of anyone having trouble using green if they properly flush the cooling system.

Im running the toyota red in my t100 because that's what was in it. Its supposedly better for the seals and metals that make up the cooling system.

No experience with the pink coolant.

Ignore color when dealing with antifreeze. I believe the Zerex Asian is compatible with Toyota pink, but it's a different color.

Toyota Pink and Red are NOT the same. Do not interchange or mix them. Use what the owner's manual recommends. The pink is only sold pre-diluted. Toyota's worthless 'tech people' told me to ask my parts guys what they recommend (Glad toyota.com has no one with any brains/knowledge), but I have done research on other sites. My '08 Sienna sadly takes only the pink (expensive, premix).

The pink is just a pre-mixed version of the red. You should not mix them though. Especially don't add red to the vehicle that has pink. You are not supposed to add water to the pink either.

So 06 pink, 01 red.

The red factory coolant is good for 30,000 miles and needs to be mixed with water to a 50/50 solution, the pink fluid (pre mixed) originally had a service life of 100,000 miles on it till its first service and then comes down to 50,000 miles.You can mix them but you will bring the service interval down to 30,000 miles.

Is ^^^^^ to mean the info in not accurate????

If pink is diluted red they should be compatible if red is diluted, yes?

You're not supposed to mix them. You can use either one but if there's already red in the system you should go back with red. The only time I change from one to the other is if I am completely draining the system including the block. The pink is premixed and you're not supposed to add water.

Edit: I'm not saying to ignore the bulletin but that was just when they introduced the super long life coolant. You should always refer to what Toyota recommends for YOUR vehicle.

Last edited:
The pink is just a pre-mixed version of the red. You should not mix them though. Especially don't add red to the vehicle that has pink. You are not supposed to add water to the pink either.

So 06 pink, 01 red.

I have 2000 100UZ land cruiser; I was low on coolant and it appeared to be Toyota "red" so I bought a gallon for toyota and added it....after reading this I think it might have been Toyota "pink" what have I done?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom