Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series 2.8-litre turbo diesel four-cylinder coming, V8 to live on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m worried it’s going to be unreliable.

Didn’t these new 70 series come with the 1HZ that made them known for being bulletproof? Then when the V8 came out it tanked the reliability?

The 1VD-FTV is a solid, reliable engine. Yes, it's common-rail so it's much more sensitive to contaminated fuel, but does not have any inherent reliability issues.

I saw one with 1.2 million KM earlier in the week, full service history but apparently never been opened.

Then when the V8 came out it tanked the reliability?
The low power output protected them. Biggest problem is the low alternator position that gets covered in mud. There are sealed aftermarket alts if you are in those conditons.

I have seen them in Canada before. They use them for mines. Once they are done they crush them. Some people know how to get them but it’s on the down low.

160FC369-D8D6-4BC3-B267-34B350EC329E.jpeg

The prospect of a little 4 cylinder in a 70 doesn't excite me at all
Ive often wondered if we will end up with a hybrid landcruiser hilux. Maybe this is the start of that.

They say the 4 cylinder will have more HP and Torque than the old V8, but I doubt the 4 cyl will have the same untapped power the 8 cyl had.

Hello,

Is this the same engine that had a problem with the DPF that ended up costing Toyota one billion dollars in compensations for affected users?

There is a limit to the power you can extract from a low displacement engine. Beyond that, emissions are a serious problem. It happened to VW, and they paid the price. Thermodynamics' higher authority, I am afraid.

Juan

The prospect of a little 4 cylinder in a 70 doesn't excite me at all

Hello,

Especially with that DPF that never worked as intended.

Compare that with the 1VD's DPF, which was far more reliable.

A small displacement engine is usually pushing the limit of its power curve. A moderate to large displacement engine can be tuned down to produce less power, in order to operate reliably.

As British car designers liked to say, there is no replacement for displacement.

Juan

The DPF issue is sorted with the 1GD-FTV @JuanJ however it was a bad look for Toyota. I can't see a 4-pot 70 series selling well TBH. If I was buying a 4-cylinder 79, why not get a Hilux which is more 'civilised' and probably will be cheaper. If you're buying a Hilux, look at it's competitors. Arguably not as well built, but the Ford Ranger is far better from a driving perspective, and probably others. My 2.5 year old Ford with 93,000 km on it leaks far more oil than my significantly older 60 series, Ford say it's fine, but I put up with it because as a daily, it's far better dynamically and more comfortable than a Hilux, for similar money.

The DPF issue is sorted with the 1GD-FTV @JuanJ however it was a bad look for Toyota. I can't see a 4-pot 70 series selling well TBH. If I was buying a 4-cylinder 79, why not get a Hilux which is more 'civilised' and probably will be cheaper. If you're buying a Hilux, look at it's competitors. Arguably not as well built, but the Ford Ranger is far better from a driving perspective, and probably others. My 2.5 year old Ford with 93,000 km on it leaks far more oil than my significantly older 60 series, Ford say it's fine, but I put up with it because as a daily, it's far better dynamically and more comfortable than a Hilux, for similar money.

Hello,

Thank you for the update on the DPF.

Yes, a four-cylinder Hilux is more "civilized" than a 70 Series. Notice that a four-cylinder engine on the former is a lighter body to move around than the heavier, beefier body of the latter.

Juan

There are only two sets of people around me that buy the current 70 series.

1. Contractors who want a tough looking ute.
2. 4wd enthusiasts who will change everything they can.

They don't compete with normal utes at all because normal utes are cheaper, faster, safer, easier to drive, quieter, carry/tow the same loads and use way less fuel doing it.

Both those buyers are V8 enthusiasts. But the V8's day is done. It has far worse power/torque/economy numbers than everything else around. Ultimately the 70 series is a dinosaur on limited time and these engine changes are just to keep it rolling a bit longer.

I feel people have forgotten that the "Landcruiser V8" is actually two Toyota Avensis 2.2 diesels sharing a crank. They had all sorts of oil consumption issues around launch but they seem to be sorted now.

Hello,

There are additional sets:
  1. The military, especially nonconventional forces.
  2. Irregular forces.
  3. Aid/relief agencies.
  4. People around the world in need of a workhorse.
The current 70 Series fits the roles of light military vehicles.

Yes, it is becoming a dinosaur. I hope whatever engine they drop in future models be as reliable as the engines used so far.

As for a hybrid drive train, it will be interesting to see whether it can be put into a 70 Series. After all, there is a prototype of a hybrid Abrams tank.

Juan

Last edited:
Any engine that is lighter/shorter and more efficient, but still puts out required torque/power is a win IMHO. As long as it's tough and reliable.

I like the handling of my LJ78 (technically mid engine, as the front of the engine is behind the front axle) compared to cruisers with 6 cylinder engines.

We all are gonna die one day .. if my 76 last up to that day I'm good ..

No 4 banggers for me no hybrid .. not even if they put 1K HP to the wheel .. sadly all stuff around us it's changing and few of us just hold to that last old post against the tsunami ..

( dramatic me .. )

No complains about the V8 so far other than noisy when cold .. missing my 80 and all mighty 1HD-T

Tapage out ..

They say the 4 cylinder will have more HP and Torque than the old V8, but I doubt the 4 cyl will have the same untapped power the 8 cyl had.
They say it will be sold alongside the V8, first time there’s been an engine option since 2006. Traditionally the 70 series has always shared engines with the current Landcruiser wagon so I’d be surprised if the V6 wasn’t offered - maybe replacing the V8 at some point. The article speculates if they’ll change the wheel track - I’d speculate this is highly unlikely as the 70 series has had the 1HZ in other markets up until now and they haven’t offered a separate wheel track that I know of - why change it with the 4 when they still run the V8 along side.

1. Contractors who want a tough looking ute.
2. 4wd enthusiasts who will change everything they can.

They don't compete with normal utes at all because normal utes are cheaper, faster, safer, easier to drive, quieter, carry/tow the same loads and use way less fuel doing it.

Both those buyers are V8 enthusiasts. But the V8's day is done. It has far worse power/torque/economy numbers than everything else around. Ultimately the 70 series is a dinosaur on limited time and these engine changes are just to keep it rolling a bit longer.

I feel people have forgotten that the "Landcruiser V8" is actually two Toyota Avensis 2.2 diesels sharing a crank. They had all sorts of oil consumption issues around launch but they seem to be sorted now.
You’ve missed the biggest buyer and its most worthy - the farmer. According to a senior Toyota Australia employee at Agquip a couple of years ago Australian agricultural sales alone of 70 series were enough to keep the model going and were the highest world wide. Here, locally and everywhere I’ve been in rural Australia the 40 then 70 series have ruled the commercial (not hobby) agricultural ute sector, and it still does.

Legal payload doesn’t really come into it - when you want to carry 1.6T (two export grade large square bales, 500L of diesel along with a full plant service body, tray full of sand to name a few) and tow 4T (more hay) off road in extreme conditions of steep very rough country in very high temperatures and high dust day in day out, or cover high Km of extremely rough terrain for 20 years straight - there is no vehicle to match it. Except maybe a patrol, but they haven’t been available for several years now. Maybe a G-Wagon could, but they’re only in auto (no farmer would want one of them) and half as much again in cost plus no practical parts/dealer support.

IFS is a joke in relentless rough conditions. Where I just moved from a cattle property all the private IFS vehicles were destroyed by the road in - everything from Hiluxes, Rangers, Colorados etc. needed constant and frankly extreme maintenance (could hardly keen ball joints and bushes up to the hiluxes, rangers bodies cracking off above the wheel arches, snapping suspension struts, snapping chassis, rodeo engine falling out etc.). By comparison the large fleet of 70 series I managed needed very little repairs despite much harsher use. Not to mention how much better the off road ability is - my take away was IFS is not suitable for extreme conditions.

Just because cashed up off roaders and bitumen warriors also buy them doesn’t take away from the fact that some people genuinely need the chassis and suspension that only a 70 series offers.

Peak figures aren’t everything. As Toyota admitted - the 1VD has the flattest torque curve, and that’s in its very detuned state. Much nicer to tow with than a peaky overstressed 4 banger (if you’re spending this much on a vehicle, you want to get 500k-1m Km out of it). And then a bit of a tune and it’ll blow all the fragile 4 cylinders away

Last edited:
They say it will be sold alongside the V8, first time there’s been an engine option since 2006. Traditionally the 70 series has always shared engines with the current Landcruiser wagon so I’d be surprised if the V6 wasn’t offered - maybe replacing the V8 at some point. The article speculates if they’ll change the wheel track - I’d speculate this is highly unlikely as the 70 series has had the 1HZ in other markets up until now and they haven’t offered a separate wheel track that I know of - why change it with the 4 when they still run the V8 along side.

You’ve missed the biggest buyer and its most worthy - the farmer. According to a senior Toyota Australia employee at Agquip a couple of years ago Australian agricultural sales alone of 70 series were enough to keep the model going and were the highest world wide. Here, locally and everywhere I’ve been in rural Australia the 40 then 70 series have ruled the commercial (not hobby) agricultural ute sector, and it still does.

Legal payload doesn’t really come into it - when you want to carry 1.6T (two export grade large square bales, 500L of diesel along with a full plant service body, tray full of sand to name a few) and tow 4T (more hay) off road in extreme conditions of steep very rough country in very high temperatures and high dust day in day out, or cover high Km of extremely rough terrain for 20 years straight - there is no vehicle to match it. Except maybe a patrol, but they haven’t been available for several years now. Maybe a G-Wagon could, but they’re only in auto (no farmer would want one of them) and half as much again in cost plus no practical parts/dealer support.

IFS is a joke in relentless rough conditions. Where I just moved from a cattle property all the private IFS vehicles were destroyed by the road in - everything from Hiluxes, Rangers, Colorados etc. needed constant and frankly extreme maintenance (could hardly keen ball joints and bushes up to the hilux, rangers bodies cracking off above the wheel arches, snapping suspension struts, snapping chassis, rodeo engine falling out etc.). By comparison the lathe fleet of 70 series I managed need very little repairs despite much harsher use. Not to mention how much better the off road ability - My take away was IFS is not suitable for the extreme conditions.

Just because cashed up off roaders and bitumen warriors also buy them doesn’t take away from the fact that some people genuinely need the chassis and suspension that only a 70 series can offer.

Peak figures aren’t everything. As Toyota admitted - the 1VD has the flattest torque curve, and that’s in its very detuned state. Much nicer to tow with than a peaky overstressed 4 banger (if you’re spending this much on a vehicle, you want to get 500k-1m Km out of it). And then a bit of a tune and it’ll blow all the fragile 4 cylinders away

Well said. 💥💥💥🤘🤘🤘👊👊👊

You live in the NZ market which by world standards is pretty small
There has been a 4 year waiting list to get 70 seties in Australia, they must have something going for them. Maybe its the weight. Smaller 4wds can tow large loads, but only larger vehicles can keep them on the road when it all goes to sh*t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom