Toyo Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
Hey, Anyone using this tire on any kind of vehicle here?

Its a Toyo M-55. I am thinking of it in a 255/85r16 size. Its a commercial tire thats supposedly pretty tough.

I need a tough tire thats good in the snow and mucho rough gravel. No mudder's. I want to go 255, but if need be I will go to a 235/85R16.

I now have new 16 inch rims from Toyota. Same one Wayne put on that red BJ44
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=43439&highlight=bj44

Looking forward to mounting them.

I am currently running the Toyo M55s in a 235/85 R16 on my 1984 HJ47. They are mounted on 5.5 X 16 inch Toyota split rims. I really like the semi vintage look of them, and the way they handle. They are also fairly quiet at high speeds. I just wish they were a bit taller to compensate for my h41 tranny, and 411 diffs when running on the freeway. The price is also somewhat prohibitive, and you will notice a big cost difference between the 235 and the 255.

Regards,
Scoot Jockey

I've always thought the Toyo M-55 would be an interesting choice for the exact intended use you mention BB. I was looking at tires a while back. It is too bad in North America many of the HD commercial tires that look intersting for intended use such as yours stops at the 235/85/R16, whereas when you google in other parts of the world the 255/85/R16 offers more selection.

Another shortlisted one (cept for the limited size) is
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/commercial_ta_traction.pdf

I've had 5 of those rims sitting on the shelf waiting for some 8.25R16's, and Stone has them on his BJ74. I think he is seeing some strange wear patterns with the 255/85/R16's...perhaps he can clarify.

"The Dude" syas he loves the 255/85/R16 and stock 16" rim iirc.

Those Toy rims are much heavier then the Unique 16x7 steel's I have on my BJ74.

gb

the michelins are nice. I just seen them at the local Kal Tire here. Very thick sidewall!!!

80 CAD at the local toyota dealer. They have a special on right now. 20 bucks off. Good deal I think. All steel in a nice silver. No chrome to peel. Easy to paint later if they rust.

the 255 is about 2 inches bigger than the 235. I have heard the 235 is 31.7-32. the 255 is roughly 33.3-33.7 depends on the make. They all say a little difference. Best part is the narrow width. 235 is close to 9.3 and the 255 is 10.

wide fat tires don't do it for me. also the 15 inch fat tires have a low load rating. May or may not be important for some. But I plan on loading up pretty heavy. This is my vacation vehicle for long trips up north and around.

But I know wide tires have their use. I don't say that they do not.

I will post a price of the 255 m-55 tomorrow, maybe a xps as well. xps are retreadable. if that is important.

This yokohama is a tire the company I work for runs in the winter studded. it is only in the 235 size.
super tough tire. I might de stud a set to use for the summer, ones I cannot re install for next winter.

the summer tire they run on the light trucks is a bridgestone vsx v-steel. super tough as well. all commercial. really hard to find a picture to post. If I cannot find a pic I will have to take one at work.

what kinda of weird wear do the 255's get Greg??

M55 vs XPS Traction

We run 235-85R16 M55's (10 plys, don't use the 8 plys) on our BJ42, FJ80, T100, Tundra and 3 1ton 4x4's. We used to run XPS Tractions, but availability has been poor lately and the price has gone way up. M55's are by far the best heavy service, off-road/gravel tires commonly available, and their only downfall may be the lack of steel sidewalls like the XPS has . Insanely long wear on crappy Saskatchewan gravel and pothole highways. On the 80, which is driven almost exclusively on gravel, treadwear is almost nonexistent after 30 k miles on the tires. Try to beat that with any other tires. Our 1tons used to wear our a set of XPS Tractions or Yokohama 7.50r16 grips in a year (no tread left on the XPS, sidewall failures but lots of tread left on the Yoko's). We are now past 2 years on the first sets of M55's we put on, tread at 50%, good sidewalls so far. Our local tire man sells more M55's than all other light truck tires combined, if that tells you anything. Look at some Aus. mine auction listings and you will see lots of cruisers wearing M55's. They are only eclipsed by Michelin XL's and XZL's, which are hard to find new in 7.50r16. Lots of DND takeoffs for cheap, though. 8.25r16 XZL's would be a good alternative to M55's in 255-85r16, but the price difference may scare you! KalTire should be able to find some for you, as they sold lots of these and 9.00r16 XLs in NE BC (Fort Nelson) when I worked there.
Finally a post I can contribute to...

this the tire I mentioned. its a bridgestone vsx v-steel. this tire stands up to extreme rough use, on the underground units and on the gravel roads here. nothing else they say has held up.

10 ply etc. 235/85 16 and 7.50 16 is the only sizes.

I guy I work with runs them on his f250 year round. he swears by them.

the only drawback I see is I wanted 255. but I may go 235. dunno yet.

hey thanks block. welcome to the board. now all you need to do is add your vehicles to your signiture line. nice to see for others.

as well put in your location in the box to the left. Its nice to show our Canadian locations :) but you can stay steath if you wish.

thats a good first contribution you did.

brownbear said:
what kinda of weird wear do the 255's get Greg??

Don't recall BB...I'll tell him about this thread if he does not catch it soon...

I know...255/85/R16 does not have much choice in commerical HD tires :-(

Last time I checkled with Kal Tire the 8.25r16 XZL's were not available and the 9.00R16 that they could get was no available as the war was sucking up all tires. Have not checked in a long time though. Might be worth a call to see BB. 8.25R16's should start showing up as used surplus soon is my guess as the new...(was it g-wagons??) use the 8.25R16's.

The 8.25's might be a tad tall for the 3.75" BS on the Toy rims...I bet you would hit the springs on turn, and have to run spacers.

Slight Jack...just found a local CNC shop that will make steel bolt on spacers for pretty much the same price as aluminum. They will do aluminum too if that's your fancy...end jack.

gb

I called about XZL's about 4 months ago. yup war sucking them all up. not availible to public

9.00 xzl's are huge. over 36 inches high. it is a 255/100 R16. so only 10 wide. cool tire it would be.

8.25's I think are near 33. something . maybe 34.

yup not much in a commercial tire. Is this maybe an importers niche?? engines and tough tires, eh?

I'll keep the spacer thing in mind. never know it goes. till install time.

These super - high load commercial tires must be like rocks though from a ride perspective? I can remember running E class tires on my F250 and it would shake things loose over gravel roads. Switching to a softer tire made things a lot better.

Just for kicks, has anyone run the military style tires (tractor tread) tires?

Hey moose, I just noticed your white righty below your name. lol. it made me laugh for quite a bit. My first thought was right wing white guy, aka KKK. hahaha. Then I realized white truck right hand drive.

Not that there is anything wrong with being an extreme right wing white guy. But thats for a different thread. I don't wish to judge. This ones for tires.

Back to tires. Yes the ride might be firmer. I expect to air down a little. But its kinda a heavy vehicle to begin with. so I will see how it goes. I got some old ones in the 235 size to try first. see how it is before I fork out large sums of dough.

Greg_B said:
I've had 5 of those rims sitting on the shelf waiting for some 8.25R16's, and Stone has them on his BJ74. I think he is seeing some strange wear patterns with the 255/85/R16's...perhaps he can clarify.

gb

I've only had maybe 10k kms on the set of 255/85r/16s on Toyota 16x6 steel wheels. And even though it's only been on there for a little while, I've already noticed some cupping occuring.

The tires are called "Wildcat", and are made by the Dean Tire and Rubber Company, which also makes the Cooper brand of tires. The tread pattern is more like an AT with lots of siping.

I think that the ideal rim for 255/85r/16 tires would be 16x7 or 16x8.

In cupping do you mean the outside of the thread gets worn before the center line?

I picked up the rims today. Next week I will try a old set of 235's on them. I can get old crap ones for free. Just might have to de stud them first.

I will post a pick once I get them on.

not thread but tread. :)

What about those old factory toyota tires that you seen on old army jeeps they are almost like an AG tire. Anyone have experience with them, they look pretty durable and go some lugs in the side but have the flat middle so they are good for the road too.

Like the ones in the pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom