Towing with a sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone towe a modest sized camper with a sequoia? Unsure the year off the top of my head buy mine has the 4.7 v8.

Great question! My Sequoia is a 2013 Platinum with the 5.7 v8 and I tow a 24’ travel trailer, dry weight of 4,250. Tows well.

As this is not an apples and apples comparison, I towed the same trailer with my 2003 GX470, 4.7l v8, lifted and running 33” tires. With a trailer brake (on both rigs), it towed and stopped well. With the GX, I would not use 5th gear as there was too much hunting and locking/unlocking the torque converter which in turn causes heat - bad for transmission. The Sequoia has the “tow/haul” feature and is a great help in towing. I still have the GX and is still going strong at 220,000 miles.

Depending upon the year of your Sequoia, the tow rating is a minimum of 6,500 pounds. Ensure you have a trailer brake, weight distribution bars, and check the hitch for the tow rating. Take a measured approach driving (definitely not a fast rig with the trailer) and you will be good to go.

I've got a 2008 Limited (airbags, tow pkg) and pull a 2016 28' Snow River. I'd guess we average 8k lbs. I added a Redarc brake controller and a Blue Ox WDH. It tows really well. We've covered about 10k miles so far in the last 6 mos. The WDH is a must have. It stabilizes the truck well. Heavy winds crossing WY and NM did not cause too much pucker!

The Tow / Haul button makes a big difference in ease of driving. Clearly helps the transmission pick the right gear.
For climbing, we had some slow climbs across the Saw Tooth Mtns and N GA mountains but otherwise, it's been fantastic.

Anyone towe a modest sized camper with a sequoia? Unsure the year off the top of my head buy mine has the 4.7

I tow a 29ft z1 around illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Tows great. I went to the bigger front brake upgrade, full sway control and trailer brakes control, air bags in the back. All a must.
Around 7k pds. 2002 limited 4wd 196k miles
when we first bought it new i owned a 2000 tundra with the 4.7 and i can tell you, the sequoia tows, handles, and backs the camper up better.
i think the 05 and newer got the bigger brakes from factory.
always check the frame on a lift first. mine had just had the frame recall done. new frame. bought it on the spot.
and turn O.D. off. when towing.

20210726_113237.jpg

20210803_191726.jpg

Last edited:
The first gens tow pretty good. I've towed as big a 23ft deck boat frequently with an 04, can't remember the weight but I believe it was within the rating. Not many hills/mountains around me though.

They are rated for 6,500 lbs. Use that as a base point. Get a brake controller, go the speed limit and enjoy. Would I tow 8,000 with one? Maybe around the block but that’s about it. In the mountains I’d try to stay under 5,000 if at all possible. My Airstream is about 3,500 lbs dry so I’m comfortable in any situation with its 4,500 lb fully loaded worst case scenario.

@76lcmike : I’m guessing you’re not winning any drag races pulling that trailer. You just using an EQ hitch or?

I’m a big proponent of trying to stay at ~75% max tow rating even though the lawyers cook that number down to start.

My boat is a ~4K pull dry, but I had some basics & fuel onboard & it rocketed to shy 5500#’s - I use a truck scale a local dog food plant & WA S.P. installed / joint $ in the 70’s.

Plus my truck armor took ~700#’s including winch - so factor that in too.

I forget but my 80 LC is some well ~1K over stock with just the armor & winch w/o the tools & crap I leave in it.

Redarc controllers are the bomb for brake controllers, I need to swap one in my Tundra 5.7 as it looks damn factory over my lame aftermarket unit my buddy installed when it was his truck.

HTH / was kinda rambling.

They are rated for 6,500 lbs. Use that as a base point. Get a brake controller, go the speed limit and enjoy. Would I tow 8,000 with one? Maybe around the block but that’s about it. In the mountains I’d try to stay under 5,000 if at all possible. My Airstream is about 3,500 lbs dry so I’m comfortable in any situation with its 4,500 lb fully loaded worst case scenario.

@76lcmike : I’m guessing you’re not winning any drag races pulling that trailer. You just using an EQ hitch or?
similar to this setup. have been pulling it for 10 years with my little 4.7 never an issue. she'll handle it. common sense and paying attention when driving is a must. higher winds gets a little harry but it's all good. i try to stay below 6,500lbs most of time. but i have towed over that.
1642954781064.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom