Towing with a sequoia (1 Viewer)

Great question! My Sequoia is a 2013 Platinum with the 5.7 v8 and I tow a 24’ travel trailer, dry weight of 4,250. Tows well.

As this is not an apples and apples comparison, I towed the same trailer with my 2003 GX470, 4.7l v8, lifted and running 33” tires. With a trailer brake (on both rigs), it towed and stopped well. With the GX, I would not use 5th gear as there was too much hunting and locking/unlocking the torque converter which in turn causes heat - bad for transmission. The Sequoia has the “tow/haul” feature and is a great help in towing. I still have the GX and is still going strong at 220,000 miles.

Depending upon the year of your Sequoia, the tow rating is a minimum of 6,500 pounds. Ensure you have a trailer brake, weight distribution bars, and check the hitch for the tow rating. Take a measured approach driving (definitely not a fast rig with the trailer) and you will be good to go.

Anyone towe a modest sized camper with a sequoia? Unsure the year off the top of my head buy mine has the 4.7 v8.

I've got a 2008 Limited (airbags, tow pkg) and pull a 2016 28' Snow River. I'd guess we average 8k lbs. I added a Redarc brake controller and a Blue Ox WDH. It tows really well. We've covered about 10k miles so far in the last 6 mos. The WDH is a must have. It stabilizes the truck well. Heavy winds crossing WY and NM did not cause too much pucker!

The Tow / Haul button makes a big difference in ease of driving. Clearly helps the transmission pick the right gear.
For climbing, we had some slow climbs across the Saw Tooth Mtns and N GA mountains but otherwise, it's been fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom