Towing a 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched it and cannot find any info on towing a 62 rather than driving it. I'd much rather tow my 62 over the mountains with my late model Sequoia then enjoy the 62 in the destination region. Anybody have any experience and pointers on doing this?

I'm guessing that the only safe way to do this would be on a trailer.

They 62's automatic transmission is not designed to be towed on it's own 4 wheels. The owners manual states this.

You can tow it with the transfer case in neutral, but there is debate on this.

I have towed our 60 for years, but leave transfer case in 4 Hi and transmission in neutral. The reason for this is lubrication - When towed, the driveshaft will spin the transfer cases rear shaft. If the transfer case is neutral, no oil is flung around lubing all the bearings. In gear, oil is flung on all bearings. But in towing in 4 Hi means mileage accumulates on the ODO.

One day, I want to install locking hubs on the rear axle, then no transfer case issues, no miles, and towing an automatic would no longer be a problem.

Put the tcase in neutral and pull the rear driveshaft? Just pull the rear bolts and tie or bungee it up out of the way... that's what we and friends have done on the 40s.... 350/th350 in this one...

20180528_145854.jpg

Last edited:
They 62's automatic transmission is not designed to be towed on it's own 4 wheels. The owners manual states this.

You can tow it with the transfer case in neutral, but there is debate on this.

I have towed our 60 for years, but leave transfer case in 4 Hi and transmission in neutral. The reason for this is lubrication - When towed, the driveshaft will spin the transfer cases rear shaft. If the transfer case is neutral, no oil is flung around lubing all the bearings. In gear, oil is flung on all bearings. But in towing in 4 Hi means mileage accumulates on the ODO.

One day, I want to install locking hubs on the rear axle, then no transfer case issues, no miles, and towing an automatic would no longer be a problem.

Could you drop the rear shaft?

Sure, but it's a pain to do every time.

There is a company called RemCo that makes a sliding driveshaft disconnect. It would make it easier, though it looks like a weak link to me.

FYI - driveshaft disconnect for towing - Google Search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom