Tow an 80* with an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*minus some heavy bits - like the engine/tranny/transfer etc.

I'm guessing the weight without the drivetrain at about 3600lbs
4800 lbs stock
- 1200 lbs drivetrain (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=69439)
---------------
3600 lbs
+ trailer or dolly

About 130 miles - nothing particularly steep, but 5K to 7K feet altitude.

Sound reasonable?

With the correct setup the 80 should be able to handle 5000#s. At our altitude it will be a slug but it should be ok. I highly recommend that the trailer have brakes and that the 80 tow vehicle be setup with a brake controller.

I towed this 180 miles. Trailer brakes are a must.
Seans pics 085.jpg

Don't use Uhaul, whatever you do......

Please....

Don't use Uhaul, whatever you do......

Please....

Yea - I remember your thread ... damn.
Not sure where I'm going to come up with a trailer though, particularly one with brakes. I don't mind installing a brake controller - I've thought about adding brakes to my utility trailer.

In CS you should have some sort of trailer rental place that you can get a car hauler from. Also, the base might have a trailer rental place, but realisticly, most trailer places will only have car haulers with surge brakes, and the trailers with electric brakes are heavier-increasing the likelihood that they won't rent one to you....

That being said, you said that it wouldn't be too steep, so surge brakes would probly work fine, and would save you the cost of the brake controller.

The surge brakes on my uhaul trailer worked great, and I took it down two long steep grades, and up and down through some hilly areas with no problems.

My pig probly weighed about as much as your engineless 80, and with the surge brakes, I let her run in 2nd gear up to about 50 on long descents and then apply the brakes pretty hard to get her down to 30, repeat as neccesary. This takes full advantage of the surge brakes.

BTW, the trailer failed on the flat area in S. Idaho........

I hauled a FJ60 at full weight (full gas tank too!) with my FZJ80 on a flat bed trailer from U-haul. The trailer was s***, but the 80 handled the weight just fine. A 60's weight should be comparable to what you are hauling.

Make plans to check your straps often. I didn't and got lucky. I stopped for gas and one tire strap had come loose completely and the other was about to, U-haul trailers suck, but it was all I had available to me at short notice.

I hauled a FJ60 at full weight (full gas tank too!) with my FZJ80 on a flat bed trailer from U-haul. The trailer was s***, but the 80 handled the weight just fine. A 60's weight should be comparable to what you are hauling.

Make plans to check your straps often. I didn't and got lucky. I stopped for gas and one tire strap had come loose completely and the other was about to, U-haul trailers suck, but it was all I had available to me at short notice.

Note to self: Doc likes to play Russian Roullette............

:D

I have had some interesting towing experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to haul one of my 80's up to 500 miles with one of my other 80's, with or without trailer brakes. Just realize what you are pulling and what you are pulling with. Brake early, don't go too fast.

Note to self: Doc likes to play Russian Roullette............

FWIW: This happened before your tumble.

It's actually kind of a cool story. I drove the 9 hours to Chicago to check out a locked 80 I planned on buying. The wife and I took my little Integra and planned on making a one day trip out of it. When we got there the truck was what we wanted, but there was a beat up 60 series on the lot as well. For $2k more we bought both cruisers and now had one more vehicle than we had drivers for. Got online and found a U-haul about 15 miles from the dealership and rented the flatbed on-line. Went and picked it up, and towed the 60 home on the flatbed behind the 80. Two new-to-me trucks, one pulling the other. It was fun! (slow, but fun).

Looking back it was not the smartest thing I could have done. The 80 was un-tested, I had no idea if it would pull that heavy of a load for that distance. The trailer was another un-known as far as quality and maintenance go.

I have, a couple times now, towed full size chevy extended cab pickups on my car trailer with my 80. The 80 had plenty of power to do so...I was able to travel at 70mph. Definitely consider braking distance and be careful.

I regularly tow my other rigs, usually 40's and an occasional vintage 70 muscle car. No Problemo!

FWIW: This happened before your tumble.

I kinda figured, you seem like a pretty smart guy, As far as anything else, the 80 seems to have plenty of power, but th tranny isn't geared for towing. On a regular tow rig while hitting a steep hill, if you can wind it out in one gear pretty easy, you can hold the next gear most of the time, but in the 80 it is wind up to 40 in 2nd, shift, and then chug back down to 20, repeat.

I hauled a FJ60 at full weight (full gas tank too!) with my FZJ80 on a flat bed trailer from U-haul. The trailer was ****, but the 80 handled the weight just fine. A 60's weight should be comparable to what you are hauling.

I have towed ALOT from long distances. I wouldn't trust those tire straps alone! I have had MANY close calls with them. I would get atleast 2 big 3" or 4" rachet straps and hook them to the frame and sinch it down real tight. This also keeps the tow vehicle from moving around. Less movement means less likely to come off:D :D :D !

On another note I have towed a 55 with a 86 4Runner 4cyl auto for about 80 miles and it was snowing (yeah REAL CRAZY!!!) and I know another guy that towed a 60 with a 89 Nissan reg cab 2wd p/u from TX to GA and made it with no problem (REEEEEALLY CRAZY!!!)!
PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM ADVOCATING ANY OF THIS BEHAVIOR!!! What I am saying is go SLOW and give yourself LOT'S of room to stop!!!

Did the trip today - no problem! Set up a brake controller this morning and borrowed a trailer (thanks Trevor!). Managed to keep it above 45-50 the whole way. Did about 60 most of the way - could've maybe gone faster, but was comfortable with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom