Tough dog foam shocks pressurized? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vinsoncww.com
Quick question that I couldn’t find the answer to-

I put Tough Dog foam cell shocks on our hundy in ‘18. Probably have 75k on them. Most of it as my wife’s dd until we got her a little runaround car to save the miles on the hundy for good stuff.

Are these shocks supposed to be pressurized, or not? It’s been so long, I honestly don’t remember, and I’m trying to sort out how to know when they’ll need to be replaced. I do know that the two I pulled to inspect are not pressurized now, I’m just not sure if they’re supposed to be.

None of them are leaking, but they do have some dents here and there from use. Rig still handles decent, but I don’t drive it often. I know TD is unavailable stateside right now, so I’d like to know if I need to find another solution.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe my question isn’t clear- are these shocks supposed to have “spring back” or not?
If I compress the shock by hand, it will not rebound to full length on its own.
There’s no signs of leaking, just wondering how to tell if they’re worn out.

Maybe my question isn’t clear- are these shocks supposed to have “spring back” or not?
If I compress the shock by hand, it will not rebound to full length on its own.
There’s no signs of leaking, just wondering how to tell if they’re worn out.

No they are oil filled foam cell, not gas charged. They do not expand like a normal shock.

If they are the adjustable design to test... turn knob to the 1 oclock position (stage 1- softest) and exercise the shock. You will feel resistance in both directions. Now turn the knob clockwise to the 10-11 oclock position (stage 9- firmest) same process and shock should be hard to exercise.

If the shock internals are weak/worn the resistance will be minimal in both settings and both directions. If the shock are not leaking.. pretty fair assumption they are still good.

On a standard foam cell you simply check for good resistance in both directions.

IMO 75K on a daily is in the mid-range of life. 50-140K is the range I saw when I was the US distributor. Just depends on application and weights of the vehicles.

Jason
TT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom