Torsion Bar/Alignment Risk? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out if curiosity, does anyone know how much travel there is in the front suspension on a stock 100?

Yeah, 7-7.5 inches depending on which torsion bars you have. If you have really stiff tough dogs without front additions, it goes down to like 6 inches, and 7.5 if you have AHC because of soft TBs.

Can confirm these numbers myself, measured it out in an off camber ditch.

Got the truck adjusted last night. Other than my Slee Belly Skid being a PITA to work around, it was super straight forward and simple. After taking measurements, I realized the shop had it sitting with the front about 1/4" higher than the back. I dropped the front about 3/4" (3 turns on driver, 4 turns passenger) - so sitting with about 1/2" of rake now, and 2.5" of droop (or 63 mm).

My alignment is set for Friday, so I may take it for a spin and see how it feels and adjust again as needed. Thanks again for all the input!

That sounds like a good plan. I would not recommend having your torsion bars adjusted at the exact same time as an alignment. Reason being after you adjust the tb’s the truck needs to be driven for some distance because the truck will need to settle. If you adjust them in your garage, the final hub-to-fender measurements will not be the same after coming back from a short drive. It needs time to settle before aligned

This is what I would do.

50mm is the minimum down travel. That is about the 2.5" the OP was referring to. You might even put more down travel in especially if you will be running a lot of weight which will cause the rear springs to compress. This will help to maintain some rake with all of the weight and keep the ride nice on the highway.

50 mm minimum... thanks! I thought it was around that, but I couldn't remember for sure.

I found my notes from when I did mine about 18 months ago when I first got the truck. I tightened the torsion bars with four (4) full turns of the adjustment bolt, which raised the front end by 1.5 inches. I confirmed that a little over 70 mm of downtravel remained. Then, I drove the car for about an hour to get it to settle, and it settled down to about a 1.25 inch "lift". I actually then loosened the adjustment bolts by half a turn, which left me with just over 1 inch, and about 80mm downtravel. Then, I had my 285/75-16s installed and had the truck aligned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom