Torn steering rack boot :( (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how hard is replacing the rack boots? Is it just pull the tie rods and slide on?

Thanks!

how hard is replacing the rack boots? Is it just pull the tie rods and slide on?

Thanks!

Nevermind, found this.

Curious to hear from people about this: are you guys saying you can rebuild your steering rack rather than replacing it? I’ve looked at a lot of threads and it seems like the consensus is to replace the rack. Mine starting leaking (really bad) from the driver’s side boot. I’m assuming I need to replace the rack as the seal is gone. I’d love input if there’s another option, as I’ve heard this job is a bit of a beast

My son kept telling me that the suspension was creaking and making noise. This is what we found today when we looked into it.

It’s not leaking power steering fluid. It does need valve cover gaskets and is leaking oil pretty bad. Do you guys think i need a new rack or new boots?

The boot is torn on the upper control arm and the bushing is shot on the tie rod.

Thoughts? How bad is this?
31B13D54-03A6-45AE-94FA-D807B38D0881.jpeg
FE468310-21F4-447B-8548-B1A3C5601D40.jpeg
6338851B-A182-44D9-B00F-6A6061D19AE0.jpeg

My son kept telling me that the suspension was creaking and making noise. This is what we found today when we looked into it.

It’s not leaking power steering fluid. It does need valve cover gaskets and is leaking oil pretty bad. Do you guys think i need a new rack or new boots?

The boot is torn on the upper control arm and the bushing is shot on the tie rod.

Thoughts? How bad is this?View attachment 2931681View attachment 2931682View attachment 2931683
At minimum the inner TRE and dust boot need replaced. However, based on your photos, If that was my truck I’d likely prep for replacing everything: steering rack, ball joints, outer TREs, and control arm bushings.

Curious to hear from people about this: are you guys saying you can rebuild your steering rack rather than replacing it? I’ve looked at a lot of threads and it seems like the consensus is to replace the rack. Mine starting leaking (really bad) from the driver’s side boot. I’m assuming I need to replace the rack as the seal is gone. I’d love input if there’s another option, as I’ve heard this job is a bit of a beast
It can be rebuilt, using new seals and other parts from Toyota, but the time it takes to tear the rack apart and replace everything is often not worth it to most of us.

Judging by the state of your steering rack gaiters/boots, I would say the least you should do is fit new seal kits and gaiters/boots to the rack, see post 10 in this thread, I also think that it won’t be long before you rack starts to leak even if you decide to only fit new gaiters/boots, so you will only have to tear it all apart again.

Just as a side note, as I except you already know this, the main reason the steering rack leaks fluid, is because the fluid is not changed often enough, the moving parts in the rack wear against each other, then all the minute particles are trapped in the fluid which in turn wears the seals out, changing the fluid also flushes out said particles that are held in suspension in the steering fluid, personally I use synthetic PS fluid.

Here in the UK, by law we have to have an in depth annual inspection after the car is over three years old, and if it fails the inspection we can't drive them until they are repaired and made roadworthy again, so problems like yours are generally caught long before they get as bad as yours.

Last edited:
Just depends how much, time, money, experience and the right tools you have to DIY, or do you have it fitted at a dealership or an independent, yes, you could replace the rack but then comes the dilemma, genuine Toyota, expensive but has longevity, after market, usually much cheeper but don't usually last as long, thats not to mention, used or used rebuilt, I like the old saying, "you buy cheep, you buy twice".

All I am saying is, if all the wear specifications are within tolerances then why not fit genuine Toyota seal kits.

It's not difficult to mesure the parts of the rack that wear with a vernia or caliper, all the specifications and tolerances are out there on the interweb, you just need to look for them.

Last edited:
It can be rebuilt, using new seals and other parts from Toyota, but the time it takes to tear the rack apart and replace everything is often not worth it to most of us.
That was my thought as well—just wanted to make sure! Thank you! I’m gonna do new hoses, a few rounds of flushing, synthetic fluid and at-205. That may help the leak enough to really plan a good time to replace the rack (maybe summer)
It can be rebuilt, using new seals and other parts from Toyota, but the time it takes to tear the rack apart and replace everything is often not worth it to most of us

I have a 2000 Landcruiser and I had my front axles replaced (they also replaced the upper arms...). When I got it home from the shop, I noticed something leaking; turns out the steering rack boot is torn badly and fluid is leaking. I can only assume they tore the boot working on the axles (they say the didn't touch the rack), but if I'm leaking fluid, I'm assuming I need a new rack or new seals... I did not notice any leaking before (no spots in the driveway), but I guess it could have been contained in the boot. Oddly, I have not noticed the power steering reservoir being low. I haven't used this shop before, and I don't feel like they are being upfront with me (I can't believe they wouldn't have noticed they way the boot is torn and leaking BADLY while they were working on the axles). I am very frustrated.

Any suggestions? This is not something I want to tackle myself. I will probably take it to another shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom