Tools - Socket holder/organizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rob Faucett

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi Folks - Curious to know what socket holding/org system you are using (assuming you like it).

I’m using these and they suck.

Would appreciate advice from Those Wiser than I..

Picture 1 of 12

I use the ones in the original post. I cut them to length for the number/type of sockets I have--SAE, metric, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive. I like them because I can grab the "set" and take them out to the car and the sockets don't fall off. I can also tell when I am missing some, because I have open slots.

A lot of specialty sets came in dedicated holders--deep well, hex/allen, torx, inverted torx, etc. and I keep them in those holders as long as they don't take up too much room.

I use the ones in the original post. I cut them to length for the number/type of sockets I have--SAE, metric, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive. I like them because I can grab the "set" and take them out to the car and the sockets don't fall off. I can also tell when I am missing some, because I have open slots.

A lot of specialty sets came in dedicated holders--deep well, hex/allen, torx, inverted torx, etc. and I keep them in those holders as long as they don't take up too much room.

2mbb - By OP do you mean the ones I am using now? Because Jesus they drive me nuts! (see what I did there . . . sorry).:rofl:

@DFXR, the quality is good. I have this set 1/2 Inch Drive 6-Point Socket Sets (3/8 - 1-5/16 in., 10-32 mm) , and theystay in place even when I shake them. When you insert a socket in the holder you give it an eight of a turn and it locks it in place. I have had the set for a few months and so far I am impressed with the quality; plus they have a lifetime warranty.

The other organizer to consider would be Socket Trays, more expensive but kind of sexy.

I use plastic ones like those Tekton ones listed above. I like them because you can slide them around and cut to length if needed. I have a few of them, for all the different sockets, fittings and 1/4" - 3/8" - 1/2" sizes. I throw them in one of those small plastic ammo boxes from Harbor Freight. Actually 2 of them, if I want to include the 1/2" sockets etc. This is the most reliable system I have found which makes sure I put them back since I will notice if one is missing from the rail. And you can just grab one rail if you need it, like the 3/8" holding 8 mm to 15 mm which I frequently take into various places in the car I'm working when needed and you don't know the size of socket you'll need or need a few different sizes.

2mbb - By OP do you mean the ones I am using now? Because Jesus they drive me nuts! (see what I did there . . . sorry).:rofl:
Yes I use the same kind you do. I have some I purchased at sears but more recently I got some at harbor freight. They are inconsistent--some sockets are held so tight I can't get them off, and other seems to just fall off from their own weight. But now you got me thinking it might be time for a change.

I do like the concept because you can stand them upright or lay them over in drawers for storage and you can grab a rail and take it out to the car (I don't really move my whole tool box around but bring tools I need to where I need them.

I found these, which seems like an upgrade to what you have. I like that you can mix and match drive sizes on the same rail and you can alternate either side. You can buy the individual socket clips from the vendor website if you need more:
Amazon product ASIN B019S583TC
And Amazon recommended me this cheaper alternative:
Amazon product ASIN B0789DJSG1
With either of these, I'm not sure if the rails can be cut to length, but I might purchase some and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom