Todays wrenching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are some old 9in wide Outlaw rims that I have had for 12+ years. I bought them on my red truck when it was stock! They have a deep offset and work great on the beach.

In terms of crawler gears I did the 4 speed swap with a 3 speed Tcase. If marlin was still making sets of lowrange gears it would get some for sure. I have not opened up the 3rds at all, no lockers, LS, etc. Its really a beach rig and will remain street legal! :D

I replaced all five tie rod ends this weekend, got the new ones from SOR. Two of them looked a little longer than the ones I was replacing, I didn't think much of it, just screw it in farther. Right? Well, when I compared the overall length to the FSM specs they were quite a bit longer, so I just screwed them in as far as they'ld go and figured when I got new tires (in a couple weeks) I'ld have it aligned and all would be well. On the way home the tires started to squeel. At 10 mph it was a low growl, at 15 it was a LOUD squeel, any faster and it was unbearable.:eek:(thankfully home was only 4 blocks away from the shop where I work) Next day I drove back to the shop (yes with squeeling tires and people staring) removed the two offending TREs, cut an inch off of each one, reinstalled them and all is well.:steer: Anyone have similar issues with SOR stuff?

I do remember that there are differing lengths of TRE's depending on where they go on the truck. I had to remove some and put them in the right locations after doing some work on my truck over the summer.

Maybe.... But one of the ones I had to shorten was the right side one with the big hole in it for the relay rod end, there's no mistaking where that one goes. Of the other four, one was longer, but all the ones that came off the car were the same length, shorter. :hmm: Dunno?

finally replaced the rear O2 sensor and hi/lo beams with some HIR's...wow its amazing how safe it feels when you aren't out driving your low beams at 35mph.

Goes for inspection this week and so far the CEL hasn't returned.

finally replaced the rear O2 sensor and hi/lo beams with some HIR's...wow its amazing how safe it feels when you aren't out driving your low beams at 35mph.

Goes for inspection this week and so far the CEL hasn't returned.

Replace the door yet?

Replace the door yet?

No...unfortunately that eye sore:doh: is going to wait until after I've the engine torn down and some of those parts replaced...for the time being it shuts, window works and it doesn't make any noise at speed.

Wally doing great work. :clap:
Tub8.jpg
tub9.jpg
tub10.jpg

Is that hack ever going to get your truck together.....

I only say that because I always see him luring and he won't post up...

Hey Wally :flipoff2:

No really he can do better work that I could ever hope to.

Well went to Ed Palau's house today to finish up the front disk brake conv on his 72 FJ40 and also got a aussie locker installed in the truck. In all it was a productive day of wrenching.

Well went to Ed Palau's house today to finish up the front disk brake conv on his 72 FJ40 and also got a aussie locker installed in the truck. In all it was a productive day of wrenching.

Heh, Rick had a productive day deflaring the back of his 80. :hillbilly:

Nice Rick,
Maybe someday I'll not care so much about the truck and you could teach me those wrenching skills.

Jim, I refuse to let you do that, your truck is way to clean.
Just drive Ricks. He still has to remove the front flairs!

Check this out..

I'm in the driveway and performing some winterizing, put in new coolant, aired the tires to 35 psi and put some Fluid Film on the rear quarters, where there sill is.

So the pavement is wet and I'm pulling it back into the garage, I dump the clutch and Whamo.......my rear pinion snaps and I hear that dreaded THUNK SOUND..:D

I've ran the Rubicon,Fordyce,Barret lake,Mabell,Kina's,Swanzey and Gretchens and I break the pinion in my driveway. Now that's funny...:D

Last edited:
Dude, what type of grade does your driveway have?...lol
How does that fluid film stuff work? I have a few cans of it for the LX450.

Just like 2 years ago when I took Chips 40 to Kina's it survived that day but 2 days later the dizzy gear broke on pavement at an intersection in portland

No really,

This was an easy Sunday task, I wanted to put on my hubs and all went well,:grinpimp: I did both sides and started to perform my winter storage b/s.

No hurry, plenty of time, no runs till spring, what's the rush, 3 :beer: down and

BANG on the way back into the garage...it's funny really, I'm laughing inside right now. :rolleyes:

I'll start to :whoops: later when I pull the axles $ third member and access the damage.

I'm s***s and giggles right now, I broke in the driveway :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom