Todays wrenching (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So not this cover?

image.jpg

Wait it's an 80?

I thought you had an FZj80.

Nope. 60. Kinda wondered if you missed that. Yea this is the cover if I'm remembering right from my old truck. Screws are in crazy tight.

LOL I don't know why I thought it was an 80. Oh well. Sorry for wasting your time.I'm at a loss when it comes to a 60. Good luck.

Oh no worries... I'll chalk it up to 80's mindset. Hey how'd that window replacement go after you smashed it up at Kinas? ;)

It's super ugly under that cover. I had to drill out the screws then sprayed the wire plug and the cover liberally w/ PB blaster and will check it out more tmrw.
Also happened to spot to drips hanging off the lower rear driver side door, fanned it and could hear water.... Stuck a drill bit in the drain holes and had dual streams flowing for a few mins.

image.jpg

see how one of the spade connectors is part of the top plate, that is your ground. The other nice looking one is the line from the gauge. Take a wire and connect the clean horizontal connector to a good ground. The gauge should read full. They are dampened so it will move slowly.

If it does move then you need to clean that ground spade and make sure it has a hood ground connection.

this is really a situation where you desperately need a volt meter. But again I'd take a piece of wire, copper strand with an insulation plastic sheath, and jump the horizontal spade connect to ground, or if you have a long enough piece, straight to the negative terminal of the battery.

Gotcha. I did email you too. Fussing w/ it, cleaned, ect did nothing. I gather if the negative doesn't give me any results then I know the wiring is a loss. But it has worked so they're a obviousky some sort of short. Honestly it would be 'nice' to have a working gas gauge but really it's easy enough to fill and trip as I have been since I've had her. Thanks tho for the guidance. I always appreciate the assistance!

technically you have an open circuit, a short blows fuses. I'd bet that the wire to the battery with make the gauge move.
By some act of the cruiser gods since yesterday I have had a gauge reading. ;) Although as soon as I turned on my brights in the parking lot at work last night my dash lights went out; made for a dark ride home. Love my old truck but man is she fickle.

Haven't done much with the trucks in several years, but this is the weekend for regearing the FJCruiser. Installing 4.88s and an ARB air locker in the front. We are going to this year's FJCruiser Summit in Ouray, Colorado followed by a week in Moab.

Truck got some new/used shocks recently... new fronts (week ago) and used rear today (will add new after we get cut a retro check the union owes us in a few weeks), new fusible link and rebuilt/spliced/wired the alt wire which had been severed and bypassed straight to the battery by the wrong wiring, and have parking and gauge lights again. PO before the guy I bought this from seems to have done some changes to the wiring with some open relays (what I was told they are) as it seems it doesn't have a tail light relay at all.
Hence no more creaking or clanking (one shock had zero bushing in the lower eyelet). Rears so much easier than the front which required cutting of the two top nuts. And now alt volts reading higher then ever before thanks to the new wiring.
Afterward I took her for a drive with the mutts and found myself in an area that isn't typically meant to be driven on... Only creaking now is coming from the rear leaf spring bushings. Will see about those at some point.

IMG_8799.JPG

Nice Ernie, me, Jim and the families did that trip years ago. Want to go back there again some day.
Sheri and I did this trip in 2002 with a 4Runner. Time for Colin to experience the road trip. Rear axle is all done. Front end is disassembled and clamshell is removed. My skills with rusty bolts has improved as I haven't broke one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom