To sell or not to Sell.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey there...looking for advice on what LC's sell for. Not that this is entirely a financial situation, but I am weighing options...

I have a 98LC with 181k miles.

what I've done in last year:
restored driver, passenger, center console, and steering wheel leather (LSEAT)
Changed out door actuator motors
New head unit (bluetooth, navigation, backup cam, etc)
New radio antenna
New exhaust (rear half, not manifolds)
new Toyota shocks all around
new sway bar links and brackets on the front (rear are fine)
new brakes pads and rotors all around
less than 10K miles on Falken Wilkpeak (slightly larger sized)
LED lights everywhere inside
New bulbs in headlights
New MAF
New starter
TIMING Belt just done w water pump
oil services always done on time
new rear and hood strut arms
new windshield (factory)
gone through with mechanic and taken care of little things here and there

Everything works as it should. Windows, sensors, AC, etc. No engine lights, codes, etc. No weird sounds etc. This thing runs like a 10K mile corolla! :)

Problem for me is I have another car just sitting in the garage that is a more practical daily driver...and I'm also thinking about selling both and upgrading to a 200 series.

What are the thoughts...as much as I love driving this and the street cred it has, my wife and I are feeling a little self conscious pulling up to friend's cars in something more than 20 years old that is pretty much stock and with paint that is nothing special.

Ok guys...I think I overstated the need to have something new and shiny. I’m just saying, the allure of an old land cruiser, as cool as it is...as much as I like it; is kinda wearing on me in it’s current condition. I know this is the wrong place to mention that amongst a group who would rather be caught dead than in a new car not named FJxxxx but it was just a thought...I really just have the fear that as much money as I’ve put into this it will need a major repair sooner than later and make me think “why didn’t I just sell it when it was running nicely”.

I did mention the friends w nice cars comment because truth is a stock kinda crusty 1998 LC is not a collectors item or even all that cool. Dare I say it...

But, take that same truck and lift it, or add a bumper, or spend some coin to restore the exterior and it becomes something different. Those are all $1500 investments each. I deserve the roasting but just having a convo and appreciate not steering the conversation to my ego or self esteem whenI’m mentioning things that obvious and true to us all whether or not you all like to admit it.

Ok guys...I think I overstated the need to have something new and shiny. I’m just saying, the allure of an old land cruiser, as cool as it is...as much as I like it; is kinda wearing on me in it’s current condition. I know this is the wrong place to mention that amongst a group who would rather be caught dead than in a new car not named FJxxxx but it was just a thought...I really just have the fear that as much money as I’ve put into this it will need a major repair sooner than later and make me think “why didn’t I just sell it when it was running nicely”.

I did mention the friends w nice cars comment because truth is a stock kinda crusty 1998 LC is not a collectors item or even all that cool. Dare I say it...

But, take that same truck and lift it, or add a bumper, or spend some coin to restore the exterior and it becomes something different. Those are all $1500 investments each. I deserve the roasting but just having a convo and appreciate not steering the conversation to my ego or self esteem whenI’m mentioning things that obvious and true to us all whether or not you all like to admit it.

Hope you didn't take offense to my post. I guess my take is that you'll probably get $5K to $7K for it if you sell it now. If the engine or transmission go, or it stops running, say you'll only get $3500. Not a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Hence why i said it's not worth selling since you've already fixed a bunch of stuff on it and realistically it should keep running for a while. Nothing to do with not having a new car or whatever. Most people on this forum likely have newer cars in their fleet alongside their Cruiser. I certainly wouldn't be selling it because my friends think it's too old or because of what they may think. That may actually be all in your head anyway, since most people don't really give a damn what you drive, especially since you have nice newer cars as well. Now if you don't really care for the car anymore, all bets are off, dump it and move on.

this is how I justify it and continue to justify it. If an average car payment is 350 a month(of course I'm being super generous here), the amount of work you need to put into it should not out cost 2 years of car payments at 350 a month. Do you honestly think that if you put roughly 8-9k into this LC to baseline it that it will die within 2 years? if so, then sell it and be gone with it. If you think you can spend up to that much and your returns = 5-6 years of daily driving, then it's a no brainer to keep it.

car payments are the devil and you never know when a 2nd pandemic might hit. Having access to cash you would normally use to make a car payment will pay offs in dividends later down the road. The 100 isn't a cheap car to maintain but once you've done all the necessary work, you're going to be able to drive it for a very long time.

Hope you didn't take offense to my post. I guess my take is that you'll probably get $5K to $7K for it if you sell it now. If the engine or transmission go, or it stops running, say you'll only get $3500. Not a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Hence why i said it's not worth selling since you've already fixed a bunch of stuff on it and realistically it should keep running for a while. Nothing to do with not having a new car or whatever. Most people on this forum likely have newer cars in their fleet alongside their Cruiser. I certainly wouldn't be selling it because my friends think it's too old or because of what they may think. That may actually be all in your head anyway, since most people don't really give a damn what you drive, especially since you have nice newer cars as well. Now if you don't really care for the car anymore, all bets are off, dump it and move on.
That comparison of value between running and not is very helpful. I appreciate your perspective and definitely can handle some roasting...keep it coming, just wanted to clear the air before it turned into a psychotherapy session. My wife does that so I get it enough !! ;)

this is how I justify it and continue to justify it. If an average car payment is 350 a month(of course I'm being super generous here), the amount of work you need to put into it should not out cost 2 years of car payments at 350 a month. Do you honestly think that if you put roughly 8-9k into this LC to baseline it that it will die within 2 years? if so, then sell it and be gone with it. If you think you can spend up to that much and your returns = 5-6 years of daily driving, then it's a no brainer to keep it.

car payments are the devil and you never know when a 2nd pandemic might hit. Having access to cash you would normally use to make a car payment will pay offs in dividends later down the road. The 100 isn't a cheap car to maintain but once you've done all the necessary work, you're going to be able to drive it for a very long time.

yeah...thanks for the reassurance. I’ve baselined and then some, so it should be good. Problem is I have 2 paid off cars now. So I’m debating if it really makes sense to keep both or cash in on one.

maybe I should sell the house and put it all into the LC...
Ha! Have you ever considered getting rid of all of them and putting that cash towards a good down payment on 1 vehicle? Just brain storming. Your LC would sell quickly I'm sure. And you can't sell your house, a man needs a garage.

Ha! Have you ever considered getting rid of all of them and putting that cash towards a good down payment on 1 vehicle? Just brain storming. Your LC would sell quickly I'm sure. And you can't sell your house, a man needs a garage.
That was my thought...sell cruiser and other suv and put about $15-20 towards something else.

This is my 2001, in stock form would look just like yours. Some tail lights, some headlights, and wheels and it'll look like an 07.

26194329958_b81b430ec3_h.jpg

40067799961_48835f0553_h.jpg

40067800681_a1014cfb81_h.jpg

Gotta fork out some money for it and put some elbow grease into cleaning her up though. Most people can just rattle can the front and rear bumpers and side trim a similar silver to match.

The most beautiful rig I have ever seen. Mind sharing the modifications? Lift, suspension?

The most beautiful rig I have ever seen. Mind sharing the modifications? Lift, suspension?
Lol that looks stock besides a vinyl wrap, Method wheels, and like a 2" lift with ebay looking headlights.

You mentioned “rust bucket”. Is it rusty underneath? The blue over tan is a fairly desirable color combination...under 200K helps...if not rusty underneath, I’d say over/under $10K is a fair enough price.

Remove the running boards: Free
Add 30mm spacers to the rear: $75
Paint wheels: $50
Paint gold emblems w/ leftover wheel paint
New 285s, crank front t-bars and front-end alignment $1200

You mentioned “rust bucket”. Is it rusty underneath? The blue over tan is a fairly desirable color combination...under 200K helps...if not rusty underneath, I’d say over/under $10K is a fair enough price.

Remove the running boards: Free
Add 30mm spacers to the rear: $75
Paint wheels: $50
Paint gold emblems w/ leftover wheel paint
New 285s, crank front t-bars and front-end alignment $1200
I have 265s on it now...they are slightly taller than stock while being a little skinnier. I find they have great off road capabilities.

I’m debating the running board delete.

working on new wheels

I have 265s on it now...they are slightly taller than stock while being a little skinnier. I find they have great off road capabilities.

I’m debating the running board delete.

working on new wheels

what’s the reasoning to the 30mm spacers to the rear?

Slight lift, better look. Front torsion bars can be cranked to lift the front 30mm to keep stock rake.

Slight lift, better look. Front torsion bars can be cranked to lift the front 30mm to keep stock rake.

gotcha...for some reason I immediately thought horizontal spacers not vertical.

any thought on added cv joint wear using the 30mm lift?

Being just over an inch, I wouldn’t think it would be a problem...but 100 Series CVs are finicky.

I had 65K miles on this poor man’s lift before I replaced my CVs...with 270K miles on them...but no leaking etc. due to the “lift”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom