To sell or not to Sell.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey there...looking for advice on what LC's sell for. Not that this is entirely a financial situation, but I am weighing options...

I have a 98LC with 181k miles.

what I've done in last year:
restored driver, passenger, center console, and steering wheel leather (LSEAT)
Changed out door actuator motors
New head unit (bluetooth, navigation, backup cam, etc)
New radio antenna
New exhaust (rear half, not manifolds)
new Toyota shocks all around
new sway bar links and brackets on the front (rear are fine)
new brakes pads and rotors all around
less than 10K miles on Falken Wilkpeak (slightly larger sized)
LED lights everywhere inside
New bulbs in headlights
New MAF
New starter
TIMING Belt just done w water pump
oil services always done on time
new rear and hood strut arms
new windshield (factory)
gone through with mechanic and taken care of little things here and there

Everything works as it should. Windows, sensors, AC, etc. No engine lights, codes, etc. No weird sounds etc. This thing runs like a 10K mile corolla! :)

Problem for me is I have another car just sitting in the garage that is a more practical daily driver...and I'm also thinking about selling both and upgrading to a 200 series.

What are the thoughts...as much as I love driving this and the street cred it has, my wife and I are feeling a little self conscious pulling up to friend's cars in something more than 20 years old that is pretty much stock and with paint that is nothing special.

Based on your extensive list, I anticipate you're hoping we will tell you it's worth a lot. Best of luck

How crusty is it

One way to look at this is: You truck value has bottomed out. It will not depreciate much over the next 10 years. Hopefully, yours is paid off and you are not paying interest. Insurance should be low for a 98 model.

Then check the value of your friends vehicles at time of purchase and today. Most likely they are taking a monthly depreciation hit of somewhere between $200 and $300. Then figure interest on the price or average net purchase amount. That may be in the area of $150 to $200 per month. That would be somewhere in the $350 to $500 per month that is leaving their wallet without return.

Take your friends to dinner once in a while on the money you are saving by not driving a new vehicle. Relax and enjoy life.

I am lucky to have a 100 and a 200. I love my 100 and the way she drives, so much that the 200 sits more. If it bothers you how your car looks next to a newer car, get a newer car. most of us who drive these trucks don’t care what people think about our cars. I daily drive mine 25 miles each way and with the price of gas I spend $25 per week filling her up. To each their own. Mine is a 98 with 172k.
EC8AACFE-E8EA-4D08-AB6D-49A5B2EF5B50.jpeg

Since you are actually asking for a price estimation and not life advice; a mostly stock 98 is probably worth anywhere between $5k to $8k. Cosmetics play a much larger role than sensible maintenance.

With the overlanding craze going on everyone is looking for flashy rides and these 100 series are hardly that in stock form.

some pics for reference
I am lucky to have a 100 and a 200. I love my 100 and the way she drives, so much that the 200 sits more. If it bothers you how your car looks next to a newer car, get a newer car. most of us who drive these trucks don’t care what people think about our cars. I daily drive mine 25 miles each way and with the price of gas I spend $25 per week filling her up. To each their own. Mine is a 98 with 172k.View attachment 2311171
If mine looked like yours I wouldn't sell. Mine stock and just looks like I don't have enough money to a buy a car from this century...except for the few people who know about land cruisers. Unfortunately, as confident as I am, appearances mean something in my line of business and I need to upgrade.

How crusty is it

I'm trying to attach pics but the website no longer works with iPhone image format. Or so it seems.

not terriblely crusty --

The front and rear bumper clear coat is worn and looks ragged (no bruises or bumps though)
The rims are brake dust scarred and don't get terribly clean no matter what
There is the classic rust spot at the bottom of the rear passenger door

It's not terrible, but parking between raptors and brand new land cruisers makes mine look like a turd. I have a Volvo and Mercedes SUV sitting in the garage and just thinking it might be smart to let this one go as much as I love it and like the fact that I can work on it myself!

One way to look at this is: You truck value has bottomed out. It will not depreciate much over the next 10 years. Hopefully, yours is paid off and you are not paying interest. Insurance should be low for a 98 model.

Then check the value of your friends vehicles at time of purchase and today. Most likely they are taking a monthly depreciation hit of somewhere between $200 and $300. Then figure interest on the price or average net purchase amount. That may be in the area of $150 to $200 per month. That would be somewhere in the $350 to $500 per month that is leaving their wallet without return.

Take your friends to dinner once in a while on the money you are saving by not driving a new vehicle. Relax and enjoy life.

I get that...but isn't there some truth that soon the CV's and the the rust will get to her and start to make it not so economical? I've dropped about $1500 in parts over the last year and will prob good for another year...but lets be honest -- these don't get to 400k miles without serious replacement of parts that are becoming harder and harder to come by.

I know a few very successful friends here that make north of $250k/year with their small businesses that drive cars worth less than $5k. Priorities man... if a nice new car is important to you then go for it! Some people spend money in other ways, invest, house, family, kids, etc.

I think what's making your 100 look like crap are those wheels that look like they have not been washed in the last 10+ years and the peeling paint. Take care of that, remove the running boards and your truck will look ten times nicer.

I know a few very successful friends here that make north of $250k/year with their small businesses that drive cars worth less than $5k. Priorities man... if a nice new car is important to you then go for it! Some people spend money in other ways, invest, house, family, kids, etc.

I also have any (usually old money) friends who do that as well. I'm just saying..it looks ratty. And I'm debating selling for something. I'll take any comments on how to make it look less ratty. I have no problem driving a $4k car as I have for the past 2 years but I also like to be detail oriented and when something is mechanically sound, but looks like a rust bucket, it bothers me.

I think what's making your 100 look like crap are those wheels that look like they have not been washed in the last 10+ years and the peeling paint. Take care of that, remove the running boards and your truck will look ten times nicer.

I explored sand blasting or buying replacement rims, cost for both was just about $350-400 plus mounting tires again.
The paint on bumpers is a $500 job (where I'm being quoted)
Removal of the steps free...it's debatable that looks better...maybe I need to see some images for comparison.

Basically I'm not sure pumping 1/4 of the value of the vehicle into minor asthetics is worth it. I can be persuaded though...talk to me

This is my 2001, in stock form would look just like yours. Some tail lights, some headlights, and wheels and it'll look like an 07.

26194329958_b81b430ec3_h.jpg

40067799961_48835f0553_h.jpg

40067800681_a1014cfb81_h.jpg

Gotta fork out some money for it and put some elbow grease into cleaning her up though. Most people can just rattle can the front and rear bumpers and side trim a similar silver to match.

Maybe this should be called -- to sell or to spend $1000 to sweeten up. In which case, what would you all suggest?

I met a fairly new Range Rover yesterday and I could see the envy in her eyes as she stared at our 2000 lifted aggressive looking LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom