to convert or not to convert? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I blew the motor in my 76 FJ40 this weekend :mad: Now I am at a crossroad and looking for directions. Should I go back with a 2f (mine has a big gapping hole in it where the connecting rod decided to jump ship.), or would I be better off going chevy 350, or how about a 4.3 v6. If I change to a chevy should I stick with the yota 4-speed or would I be better off changing to an SM420 or SM465??? This is not a jewel but its not a totally junked LC. Sure it could use some tlc, but I don't think it will be in a car show anytime soon. I plan on a spring over conversion with 35's while I have it apart. Iam plan on using as a semi-daily driver, with rock crawling tendancies. :D

Unless you are a purist, go V8.

Bump

That means I agree with the v8. :D

My vote is a 2F. Other than weight differences, you will not see much offroad improvement over the 2F unless mud bogs are your thing. And if you drive this everyday, I would almost certainly go back to a 2F, you will spend much much longer trying to get all the bugs ironed out of a 350 swap than dropping in a fresh 2F. I also bet that a fresh 2F will suprise you, if you have never driven a truely fresh one before.
I am hopelessly lost in Toyota Purist-dom. However, I do enjoy driving SBC'ed 40s. Its fun to be able to spin the tires even on dry pavement, outdrag just about anything else on the road etc... But if you drive it like that, you'll drop drivetrain parts faster than a Rover drips oil.
If you have time to tinker, then a 350 might be a good option, if not, I would not recommend it.

If your asking opinions, then I gotta go with Bailey on this, I also prefer the 2f. You should be able to find one in your area fairly easily. Direct bolt in, as much power as you normally would need, and it maintains the character of the truck. Lots of arguements both ways, but I'll stick by the old tractor motor.

Well, I am certainly in the purist camp for myself, having replaced an F for an F. But, I'll bet most purists have not blown an engine.
Yet.

I went with the SBC. I blew my 2f motor and had to make the same decision. I would have stayed with the 2f but it would have cost me more to do so. My rig is not a daily driver and I had the time and help to do the swap. I believe it all depends on what type of driving you do and what resources you already have. Myself, I have access to chevy engines and parts so thats what I went with.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=7984;start=msg67445#msg67445 date=1069715108]
Well, I am certainly in the purist camp for myself, having replaced an F for an F. But, I'll bet most purists have not blown an engine.
Yet.
[/quote]

True Dave, but I have blown a sbc. Why didn't you use a 2f when you swapped motors?

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=7984;start=msg67450#msg67450 date=1069715870]
True Dave, but I have blown a sbc. Why didn't you use a 2f when you swapped motors?
[/quote]
Mine just about might as well be blown. :flipoff2:
When mine does go, I will rebuild mine, there really isn't that much difference between a well running late F and 2F, power difference is not that significant.
Don't forget the purist-originality factor. Its cool (at least to me) to be able to say it has the original engine with 20 kagillion miles and still goin.

Perhaps it was just for lack of knowledge. Talked to the SOR folks at the time. They had low milage Japanese motors. I had nothing available near to me, that I knew of. SOR STRONGLY suggested I stick with an F. Maybe if I knew then what I know now, I would go with a 2F. I can't regurgitate what their reasoning was at the time, but there you are.

I have a 85 fj60 block if you need it? I can ship it forwardair. It has crank and pistons etc. How about $100 bucks. Ran extremely well when in the cruiser! Just let me know if I can help.

I just went through the same thing 2 months ago, rebuild the 2f or swap in a sbc. I had my 2f rebuilt, and after 200 miles and the rebuild bill, I'm glad I stayed with the 2f. Awesome torque, and it's stock. In the future I might do some performance up-grade just for the sake of tinkering. If I wanted a drag car then I would have bought one, instead of trying to make a super tough 4x4 into one. Just my opinion.

Well, now you buggers have got me thinking :D

I was going to go sbc when the current 2F blows, but I have another spare 2F sitting at a buddies house that I suppose I could rebuild for when the time comes.... hmmmm

Anyways, as a matter of curiousity, how fast can you get your 40's going with a stock 2F? Mine is used as a DD as well and it's pretty brutal on hills w/ the tired 2F.

I have driven (not this fast) a VERY well done stock resto on a 72, that will do 100, and cruise 75 all day. This cruiser is nearly exactly the same as a new off the floor '72 down to the F, 3 spd, 4.10's and 28" tires. The only non-stock item is Minitruck PS.
I have not done 100 in it, but I believe the owner when he says, it definatly goes.

I've owned a 79 with a 2F and it ran well. It doesn't hold a stick to my 350'd 1970. Granted I've upgraded everything else so I can actually drive it accordingly, but I can promise you depending on what you use it for, a 350 will not disappoint you. I also agree with CruisinGA about how well a tuned 2F can run, but the bottom line with me was the accessibility to replacement (cheap) parts. Being Chevrolet, my brake calipers ran me $11.00 a piece. Hidden, unforeseen benefits that I'm really starting to appreciate.

Bottom line, personal preferrence. Have fun, but do it right the first time.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=7984;start=msg67627#msg67627 date=1069732742]
I have driven (not this fast) a VERY well done stock resto on a 72, that will do 100, and cruise 75 all day. This cruiser is nearly exactly the same as a new off the floor '72 down to the F, 3 spd, 4.10's and 28" tires. The only non-stock item is Minitruck PS.
I have not done 100 in it, but I believe the owner when he says, it definatly goes.
[/quote]

100MPH in a 40 more power to the guy, not me, 75 in my 79 40 was no problem till I started going up a hill.

I debated the rebuild/replace dilemma for a while, but opted for the 350. Granted it isn't in yet, I figure my LT1 should get 20,... possibly + miles/gal, whereas my F got 4-7 mpg on the freeway, was floored most of the time (lots of hills pulled @ 40-55 mph pedal to the metal) definitely 7 mpg on level ground at anything above 40-45. If you're familiar with WA, it takes me a FULL tank of gas to get from Yakima to North Bend ~100 miles.
Towards the end of the summer, when I could see the smoke of my engine's blow-by in the headlights of passing vehicles pulling some hills on the freeway near my home, I decided it was time for something new.
If you're not in a rush, you could buy several Chev 350's for what it costs to rebuild an F, or a 2F. I got my LT1, pulled from a '95 police cruiser w/100k mi for $350 (I sold the tranny to a buddy for $100), so I got the engine complete with harness for $250.
My buddy poohbair has had several running 350's given to him, for the price of getting the nasty, beat-up trucks out of their owners' yard,... he just pulls the parts he wants, and has the local wrecking yard remove the rest for $35. The Chevs will also give you 1k more useable rpms at least, which definitely come in handy.
Cruisers (F & 2F alike) were designed to run at 50mph literally forever,... if you want any more speed you've gotta rethink it.

SBC for sure. I put a 350 4bolt tow truck motor from a 70 something chev in my 40 and the darn thing outchugs, outlugs, and just plain outruns the Fs and 2Fs. I know that most SBCs don't have this kind of low end but for the small price of hauling it off, I can do anything an F can do plus leave them behind like they're tied to a tree. I'll never go back.
For a purist the F or 2F is still the best bet but my rig is beyond.

i'm in the process of rebuilding my 2F right now. I'm desmogging though at the same time s had Jim C rebuild the carb and recurve the dist. Bought all the arts from Pac Lift -- i'll let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom