Tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I am in the market for a new set of tires. My current set of BFG KO2's is coming to an end and I am on the hunt for a new set. Got 70k out of this set (rotated 5).

I know there is a kerbillion threads on what will fit etc. Here is where I am on this journey of finding the perfect tire size for the 100.

I am currently running 35x12.5-18 on
Tundra 18" factory wheels with
1.25" wheel spacers on all 4 corners.
I have 2.5" lift in the front and closer to 3.5" in the rear.
***I am looking at new UCA's to get my caster back into better spec with the new meats. I am seeing a bit of uneven wear towards the end of these tires lives.***
I love the look of the 35, but I want to go narrower to an 11.5 or so width. I wouldn't mind getting into the 34-34.5" true diameter.

I do want to stuff the tire again in the fender well, my current setup rubs when I bottom out of the fender lip. I have some slight rolling of the fender from baja'ing in the desert. I loved my set of 305/65-18's they ran about 33x11.5" or so and were a nice sweet spot... BUT, I would like a bit more diameter because... I was raised in the south and you can take the boy out of the south but you can't take the south out of the boy. I like big tires and I cannot lie.

What works best here in Montana... I'd like a bit more traction than the KO2 but don't care for a mud tire in the snow.

Thanks!

I run some 33" mud terrains on my 40 and absolutely hate how it handles on packed snow and ice, on my dodge and Tahoe I have the BFG KO2s on both of them and absolutely love how they handle.

To the point that the steering on my truck is almost a 100% predictable!

Once I burn the rubber off of the 40 I'm going with the BFGs on it as well.

Okay so I am in the market for a new set of tires. My current set of BFG KO2's is coming to an end and I am on the hunt for a new set. Got 70k out of this set (rotated 5).

I know there is a kerbillion threads on what will fit etc. Here is where I am on this journey of finding the perfect tire size for the 100.

***I am looking at new UCA's to get my caster back into better spec with the new meats. I am seeing a bit of uneven wear towards the end of these tires lives.***
I love the look of the 35, but I want to go narrower to an 11.5 or so width. I wouldn't mind getting into the 34-34.5" true diameter.

I do want to stuff the tire again in the fender well, my current setup rubs when I bottom out of the fender lip. I have some slight rolling of the fender from baja'ing in the desert. I loved my set of 305/65-18's they ran about 33x11.5" or so and were a nice sweet spot... BUT, I would like a bit more diameter because... I was raised in the south and you can take the boy out of the south but you can't take the south out of the boy. I like big tires and I cannot lie.

What works best here in Montana... I'd like a bit more traction than the KO2 but don't care for a mud tire in the snow.

Thanks!

Take a look at these and research reviews and forums online, I think they will do everything that you want them to do quite well, and not noisy on the pavement this is what I will be going with when my Goodyear Duratrax bite the dust here shortly.

Way back, when Covid barely had a name... I bought a set of Falken Wildpeaks for my 99' LC.

Sizing was a little different from you @REZARF since I used the stock wheels, but the overall size was LT 305 70R16. I had an OME 2.5" lift as well, so I think similarly setup (including an ARB front bumper).

I used these in Moab - drove thousands of miles on them with no issue and when I sold the rig they were in great shape. I'd go back to them in a heart beat, but I think over the last few years they have almost doubled in price.

Good luck regardless. Just my two cents.

IMG_20200314_141855749_HDR.jpg

I have 285/65/18 on 06 with stock rims. I like the size, no rub whatsoever. No fussy mods to deal with.

KO2s are the snizznizzle.

Whatever you go with, be sure you can get the tire size in the flavor you want. And check prices. Sometimes a 1/2 inch change in tire size costs significantly more because you jump into an uncommon tire size. Thats my 2 cents.

Take a look at these and research reviews and forums online, I think they will do everything that you want them to do quite well, and not noisy on the pavement this is what I will be going with when my Goodyear Duratrax bite the dust here shortly.

Thanks! Do you have actual road time with them? I think @EvkoOffroad runs these but I don't think he liked their snow performance on road. I do like the look of those and the price seems fair.

Thanks! Do you have actual road time with them? I think @EvkoOffroad runs these but I don't think he liked their snow performance on road. I do like the look of those and the price seems fair.
I personally don't but my son in law had them on his 2dr Jeep and really liked them and did well with them. Looking at the tread I would say that there are better tires suited for snowy (hard pack) road conditions, but personally I would deal with that for the limited amount of time I spend on that type of road condition. Tires are hard one to recommend to others because everybody's driving style is different their vehicles are not the same weight or wheelbase and where the load is varies a lot causing different responses from the tire, but hey everybody has an opinion :)

Sam is running 37's on his pu, i can attest to their performance in mud an on rocks. however like any mud tire i've ran i doubt if they would be my first choice for winter driving on ice. i'm sure they also offer an all terrain version also which might be better. also his 37's measure closer to 36. i'm kinda liking the toyo at3's. i've got 2 sets and i think Sam put 37's or maybe 35's on his dd. i've done goose lake without any problems with them and no problems on icepack. i've got wildspeaks on 16' rims on my 94 dodge pu, only thing i don't care about them is they feel loose on the highway like the sidewalls are weak. might be the 16" size

@REZARF Drew, I'm running 285/75r17 Falken Widpeak AT3s on my 200. They are 33.9x11.2. I am really impressed with them in the snow on the road. They used to be less costly than KO2s which made them an attractive option. I ran the same size KO2s on my Tundra and loved them in all driving conditions other than mud. If I had the choice, though, I'd go with the KO2s as the price now ($347.99 each) is less than the AT3s ($355.00 each).

Thanks!
Looks like I'm headed down a rabbit hole myself looking for new tires thanks to this thread :)

Has anybody in the group tried these or heard anything good or bad about them?

Looks like I'm headed down a rabbit hole myself looking for new tires thanks to this thread :)

Has anybody in the group tried these or heard anything good or bad about them?

We'll, half a century ago i bought my first car, 64 lemans with a 326. proceeded to aereate the block so stuck a 389 in it that we built in school shop. it was stupid for the street, anyway i put a set of mickey's on it. they worked real well especially for a 15 yr old. had a couple of friends wrap their road runner around a tree and the folks made me get rid of it. was basically an unbadged gto. probably doesn't apply to this thread but it was all i could do. ps. can't remember if i paid 2 or 3 hundred dollars for it and it was cherry. blue with a white leather interior with a 4 speed, 2 door.

@ttFJC what size tires are you running on the FJ these days?

@REZARF Drew, I'm running 285/75r17 Falken Widpeak AT3s on my 200. They are 33.9x11.2. I am really impressed with them in the snow on the road. They used to be less costly than KO2s which made them an attractive option. I ran the same size KO2s on my Tundra and loved them in all driving conditions other than mud. If I had the choice, though, I'd go with the KO2s as the price now ($347.99 each) is less than the AT3s ($355.00 each).
:eek: $350 a tire! Yikes. Glad I got my Toyo MT 33's when I did last year. I love them. Skinny's are the best. Toyo has a sale right now, I think they are $150 off on a set of 4. Discount Tire is the best I have found. Great warranty, no questions asked.

I was eyeing up a super nice 100 Series today, thinking to myself "Yeah, that's about exactly how I'd make it if I had a 100...", sure enough, I glanced at the plate and it was you @REZARF! Super nice Cruiser you have there.
I'm back to Wildpeaks after two years with Duratracs, I like them much more. They're noticeably quieter and smoother on the road and I have no doubt they'll be better in all winter scenarios other than deep dense snow.
A lot of folks across the board have been raving about the Kenda Klever RTs, they are made in a less common 35x10.5 size last I checked. If I was in the mood to get worse MPG and tub the firewall on my 4Runner, I might give these a shot.

I have some 37s I'd like to get rid of...

a tad bit more info would be helpful
Lol mostly a joke, but it’s about time I get new ones as these are half worn. 37x13.50r17 Maxxis Razr mt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom