Tires - Help Me Decide! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put off buying tires last year. Can't delay any longer. Decided to go up one size from stock - sticking with the 16" wheels. So it comes down to the best all-around 285/75/16 AT/LT tire. Buying from Tire Rack. Currently have Michelin LT's; not much left on them. I've had them before and liked them, except for one thing - not much good in the snow. We had a rough winter here in Boston last year - I expected a lot more traction, but again, not a lot of tread left on the old Michelin's.

1998 100 series is completely stock - no mods. Daily commuter. Weekend tow vehicle in the summer (Boat) and up to ski country in the winter. Has the stock rear locker.

Low price is good, but quality/satisfaction is more important.

Here are the best sellers in the category:

Best Seller
(1,276) | Reviews (1,154)
Click to Compare
GENERAL
GRABBER AT 2
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($168.00 per tire)
  • Size: LT285/75R16 122/119Q D
  • Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
  • UTQG: None

BFGOODRICH
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($210.00 each)
  • Size: LT285/75R16 126/123R E
  • Sidewall Style: Raised White Letters

KUMHO
ROAD VENTURE AT51
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($151.00 EA)
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
HERE ARE THE OTHER CHOICES I'M CONSIDERING:
MICHELIN
LTX A/T 2
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($220.00 EA)
  • Different Tread
KUMHO
ROAD VENTURE AT KL78
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($167.00 EA)
  • Standard Sidewall
BRIDGESTONE
DUELER A/T REVO 2
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain ($179.00 EA)
LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS A BETTER TIRE OUT THERE IN THIS SIZE I SHOULD LOOK AT

THANKS!

I have goodyear Duratracs in that size on my 80 series. I like them alot. Good tire. Main issue is side wall cuts but if you are not in the rocks then likely not an issue. They are highly liked in the 80 section. I haven't had an issue but I do live in southwest GA.

I went with the toyo open country AT2. Deep tread, E Rated tire. They hum a little but on the highway and feel like a heavy duty tire (bit stiff)

I just bought 5 BFG KO2 265 75R16 for $797 at 4WD.com. This is my first BFG, been a Michelin fan for years. At this price, I cant pass it up. I havent install them, so I dont know how it performs, but I really like how the tires look.

235/85 KO2's for $536 a set!

Clunky, I read the Expedition Portal review on the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I'm impressed. I called my local cooper retailer - he just happens to be located on my commute to work. He sells a lot of different brands. Said excellent choice. Gave me a good price. 10 ply tire.

a few guys at work have been running the cooper a/t 3 and like them, not sure if their lt tires though. I had the revos on my truck when I bought it and liked them for the few months that they were on. might want to look at the nitto terra grappler, their available as an lt

I'm pretty sure these are similar to LTs if not named as such. Higher load rating than passenger and 10 ply vs. 6 ply.

I just bought 5 BFG KO2 265 75R16 for $797 at 4WD.com. This is my first BFG, been a Michelin fan for years. At this price, I cant pass it up. I havent install them, so I dont know how it performs, but I really like how the tires look.

235/85 KO2's for $536 a set!

That is a great price for a good tire. I'm happy with the BFG's. I just put on a set of the KO2's - and the ride is surprisingly good on my stock 05 suspension. Much better than the Dunlop AT23 hwy tires that came on it when I bought it.

$70 rebate on the BFGs in November too.

I'll 2nd the Toyo Open Country AT-II Extremes...very good tire!

Clunky, I read the Expedition Portal review on the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I'm impressed. I called my local cooper retailer - he just happens to be located on my commute to work. He sells a lot of different brands. Said excellent choice. Gave me a good price. 10 ply tire.

What size did you end up getting? I've been through the FAQs regarding tire size, but the Cooper tire selector and Amazon both say that 285/75/16 won't fit on a stock 99 lx470.

The 285/75/16 fit my stock 1998 LC hundred series perfectly. No mods on the truck - all stock. Still some room in the wheel wells. Awesome tire. The dealer said they outfit (snow) plow trucks for landscapers with these same tires. Just a tad nosier on dry pavement at low speeds. Didn't notice anything at highway speeds. Stopping and cornering are improved. Excellent on wet pavement. 10 ply tire with a good load rating - more than I need. Only down side is cost. Not cheap.

At the price that you can obtain the BFG KO2 for, ($720 shipped to your door from 4wheelparts, $180 each) I don't think you can go wrong there. Dollar for dollar, I think it is the best tire out there. I have a set that I use for the street and light wheeling on my 62.

I also had a set of Michelin LTX AT2s on the 62. I think thats a very good tire, a little less aggressive and very long lasting, quiet and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom