Tired of tires! Cracks in TREAD of my Michelin LTX m/s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 1.5" long crack between the tread of my tire (6/32 remaining - about 4 years old since it was made/3 years on truck). It looks kind of deep - goes lengthwise around the tire. Some web surfing suggests this "happens to Michelin more than other brands."
Anyone else have the same trouble?
Any suggestions for a similar - OK road / OK dirt road tire that is from another manufacturer?

- Gil

I would say you got great life out of those tires and at 6/32 the performance will be diminished anyway.

I have run many different Michelins over the years (Including LTX MS) and would definitely buy Michelin again.

Ditto- I've run Michelins on all my trucks and cars and have alway been satisfied with them. They will dry rot when old, but I think all tires do the same over time. :cheers:ned

IMHO michelin has some of the best all season tires on the market, especially the LTX M/S, never had a problem with any and all have had great tread life, but if you wanna go with another brand I've heard lots of great things about the Nitto Terra Grappler.

I don't think the Nitto come in my size: 275/70/16.

265/75/16 is the same thing, and it's available in pretty much any brand you want. only difference is the 275's will be passenger (car) tires and most 265/75's will be LT (truck) tires with load ranges.

they also have a 285/70/16

I found a 1.5" long crack between the tread of my tire (6/32 remaining - about 4 years old since it was made/3 years on truck). It looks kind of deep - goes lengthwise around the tire. Some web surfing suggests this "happens to Michelin more than other brands."
Anyone else have the same trouble?
Any suggestions for a similar - OK road / OK dirt road tire that is from another manufacturer?

- Gil

Where are you located? You can have the one in my garage that I pulled off of my 100. It was the spare and looks new.

Where are you located? You can have the one in my garage that I pulled off of my 100. It was the spare and looks new.

his sig line says Ventura, CA

I ven never had any problems with michelin tires either, I only buy michelins....except for one time in an emergency. Have had problems with bridgestone and general.

For ok road and ok dirt, BFG KO's have been solid for me. Bridgestone REVO's were also good for me, but they are more of an on-road AT tire.

Never been a huge fan of Michelin. They balance well and wear like a rock, but performance is....meh.

Thanks for the kind offer - I'm in Venutra, CA - and its beginning to look like I should simply buy another set of Michelins. I went to Costco today to check the tires out and they seemed to be the best option.

If you're gonna stick with michelins also take a look at the A/T2, little bit more agressive than the M/S.

I have experienced the same thing on the same Michelins twice. No more for me.

Im really find that interesting. Ive had sooooo many Michelin tires and never once had a problem with any of them.......hearing that people have had repeated problems with them is a shock, and now Im curious as to what would cause such a huge difference in experiences

No idea, when we bought our 99 UZJ100 the LTX were on them and I noticed within a few days that a crack right down the middle of the tread circumferential, probably 5-6" long. SAME situation a few years later on another set of tires. Strangest thing. Sounds petty but my truest was lost.

That is weird, and i dont blame you for switching to another brand. I have literally never bought a tire that wasn't Michelin for any of my vehicles......granted that will change soon, but then again BFG is Michelin so......:rolleyes:

I have experienced the same thing on the same Michelins twice. No more for me.

Me too. When I bought my 100, it came with Michelin LTX on stock 16" rims, but one of the tires had a 1" gash in the tread on the side of the tire. It looked as though someone took a blade and dug into the tire, but now that others are coming forward with the same problem, I believe it's just a case of occasional poor craftsmanship. The tire held air and never seemed compromised even with the gash, but my comfort level isn't too high with Michelin tires anymore. Good thing I upgraded to 20" Tundra wheels with Goodyear Wranglers! :cool:

Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/16's will fit in your stock configuration. The spare should also fit, does on mine.

I would purchase them again. Good wear, minimal noise difference from stock, no rubbing and I think it makes the truck look handsome, thus making me more handsome. Now, if I could just find a way to hide the two child seats in the back???

I know these LTXen are supposed to be very good tires despite their unremarkable appearance and tread. I will say despite the cracks no air was ever lost nor did the tire drive out-of-round or "funnily." I deemed the defect to be significant enough to change them out.

Against expectation, on the first set I ended up putting my old/used BigO XT tires already worn at about 35k miles on, and got another 40k+ miles out of them before someone actually bought them from me and ran them for an additional 2 years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom