Tire topic what should i get for steet and off road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
what you guys think for tires i live in arizona so its mostly dry stuff but i need some more grip and i wanna be able to air my tires down too. I also need to be abale to do alot of street driving on the highway with them too though.
Any suggestions? ???

Sounds like a perfect application for the BFG A/T, except that I've run the Cooper Discoverer S/T which is aimed at the same type of usage. I find it quieter and far better handling on pavement than the BFG. I've driven them both seriously offroad from mud to Moab and snow and again give the nod to the Coopers. In Australia, the Cooper has been fitted by a few 80 owners with good results.

Tire selection is often subjective and few can afford to own or drive a bunch to compare over a reasonable period. So it's always a good idea to ask around in your area as local conditions can dictate a tire choice. The loggers around here, who depend on their tires to make a fairly skimpy living, prefer the Cooper for durability.

IdahoDoug

We discussed this about 3 weeks ago. I bought the BFGs ATs, great tires better handling than the stock LTXs. I live in AZ too and besst all round tire for our terrain. Second choice was the Yokos Geolanders. Stay away from Costco, they wont install a tire that is larger they can only match size.

Chris

i put some interco trxuss mt's on about a month ago and so far am liking them.
they drive pretty well on the highway, offroad they do well-better in mud then an at tires going to be. they can be aired down. theyre a little louder than an at tire.
not sure about durability yet, but so far so good.

Not to Hijack, but who does EVERY 80 seem to run the same michelin tire? Is it hard to find the exact same OEM size or something?

BTW, so this post isn't 100% worthless, I ran a set of YOKO Geolander's on a 95 4Runner, I was very happy with them, but never got but about 5K miles before that vehicle met it's end, so I can't speak for longevity.

Doug talked me into those Coopers over a year ago, I'm very happy with them. LT265/75R16, siped at Discount Tire, the tread is wider than the stock size LTX. I used them in construction for over a year, towing on highway and through mud/sand/snow. I put 100 miles/day on them typically hauling a good size trailer. They're holding up extremely well, I did snag one on some steel in deep snow.

I'm also looking for tires for my wife's mall cruiser and finding few options in stock size. She considered taking my Coopers for the winter, but noted they were noisier and she'd prefer something quiet. LTXs aren't great in snow, dedicated winter tires are too much $, what to buy?

Sounds like same conditions I have in Lewiston Idaho. I use Toyo Open Country A/T, very quiet, durable and long lasting. Vince

I put on a set of BF Goodrich AT/KO 285, 75R16's about a month ago. We do a lot of in town and highway driving on them. So far, they're great. :) Quite on hard surfaces and good in sand and on unimproved surfaces (I'm in Florida, so, not much rock crawling going on here :'( ).

Wayne

Believe it or not these UniRoyal Laredo AWTs seem to work wonderfully on my 80...I have even been on the trail and they hold up....completely silent on road.

Since the yoko geolander has been mentioned, I run that tire on my 40. Great street tire, good in the rain. BUT, it sucks in the snow and is even worse in mud. My BFG AT on the 60 is one of the best all around tire I have ever used. It handles excellent in all weather conditions, very pleased with that tire. I am putting a set on the 80 in a few weeks.

Anybody tried the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO????? I saw them at the tirerack.com for 123 a piece. They look like they have a little bite in the tread.

After taking a long and hard look at our real needs, I ended up getting Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs. My primary concern is that my wife and kids also use the truck regularly, so on-road and rain handling were critical for me, not just the weekend 'fun times' I spend with the truck

Michelin provides the following ranking vs. LTX MS

Wet traction 9/10 vs 7/10
Winter traction 10/10 vs 8/10
Mud 6/10 vs 7/10
Handling 8/10 vs 7/10

For on-road safety, I eneded up going the SUV route. Off road the tires are 'ok' but not great, as you would expect. They do clear relatively well, but are not great mud tires. They generally performed well on rock (even wet rock), never slid and only a bit of 'chirping' on steep assents.

Ideally, I would love a 2nd set of tires on steel rims, but....

Cheers, Hugh

I rate my performance as a 10/10 but my wife disagrees. :flipoff2:

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=6506;start=msg52901#msg52901 date=1066673225]
I rate my performance as a 10/10 but my wife disagrees. :flipoff2:

[/quote]

LOL dude, she said you were so small you don't even get a scale :flipoff2:

I run the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO in a 285/75/16. Had them for 5-6K miles and I really like them. They did well in the ice storm we had here in Dallas last Feb. and light wheeling. The BFG were too expensive for me and I use Bridgestone Pole Positions on my car so the Dueler was a natural for me. :)

Damn you're good with the witty reply's Junk. LOL!

CDN - What's the difference between the Michelin LTX and Cross Terrain SUV's? Haven't heard of the later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom