Tire sources? 2" lift on 17s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious to run 275/70 and have no issues at all, or what will be involved to run 285/70s. Will be running on 17x7.5 wheels, so not sure if the 285s are game there or not. I've checked the usual online spots like Discount Tire, Tire Rack, what's your experiences with TireBuyer or others? I'm planning to just have them shipped right to a local spot to have the mount/balance done.

DT is always my go-to as I have a location nearby. They will also match any online price you find, which is nice.

Assuming Costco has the brand and size you're looking for, that's always a fair deal and great service.

Assuming Costco has the brand and size you're looking for, that's always a fair deal and great service.

99% of the time they won't install a tire other than the OEM size on the door sticker.

99% of the time they won't install a tire other than the OEM size on the door sticker.
Never ran into that with them. :meh:
Maybe a newer policy? It's been a while since I've purchased tires from them.

I bought my 275/70-17 Falken Wildpeaks from Tirebuyer.com. They were super easy to deal with and they sent the tires to my dealer of choice with free shipping. I have a 2.5" Radflo stage 2 lift and I get some rubbing with the stock running boards, but I think I can fix that with more time using a heat gun on the liners. By the way, I love the Wildpeaks, very little road noise and pretty comfortable with the C-rated LT tire.

IMG_0197[316].jpg

I bought my 275/70-17 Falken Wildpeaks from Tirebuyer.com. They were super easy to deal with and they sent the tires to my dealer of choice with free shipping. I have a 2.5" Radflo stage 2 lift and I get some rubbing with the stock running boards, but I think I can fix that with more time using a heat gun on the liners. By the way, I love the Wildpeaks, very little road noise and pretty comfortable with the C-rated LT tire.

jabandsnort, what's the width and offset of your wheels? I have a similar setup as you, but with BF Goodrich KO2s (275/70-17 as well). I haven't experienced any rubbing on the stock running boards yet, but am concerned with that problem when I use more of the suspension travel.

jabandsnort, what's the width and offset of your wheels? I have a similar setup as you, but with BF Goodrich KO2s (275/70-17 as well). I haven't experienced any rubbing on the stock running boards yet, but am concerned with that problem when I use more of the suspension travel.

The FN FX Pro wheels are 17x8 +0 offset. I wonder if the KO2s are slightly more narrow than the Wildpeaks? The rubbing I experience is turning hard right or left while slowing and entering driveways and such. I may raise the front another 1/2" or so and see if that stops it.

The FN FX Pro wheels are 17x8 +0 offset. I wonder if the KO2s are slightly more narrow than the Wildpeaks? The rubbing I experience is turning hard right or left while slowing and entering driveways and such. I may raise the front another 1/2" or so and see if that stops it.

After driving a bit more, I'm getting some rubbing every so often. I haven't been able to pinpoint the situations yet, but I'm sure it's not too different from what you've mentioned. I don't want to raise the front any more, so it looks like I'll need another solution.

After driving a bit more, I'm getting some rubbing every so often. I haven't been able to pinpoint the situations yet, but I'm sure it's not too different from what you've mentioned. I don't want to raise the front any more, so it looks like I'll need another solution.
I was thinking about adding some spidertrax spacers to see if that would help... has anyone used spacers with zero offset wheels?

I was thinking about adding some spidertrax spacers to see if that would help... has anyone used spacers with zero offset wheels?

That will likely give you even more rubbing. I run Spidertrax w/ my stock wheels which is effectively a -6 offset. My tires are 275/65R18, which is roughly the same size as a 275/70R17. My lift is onlt 1.75" up front. I did have to take a heat gun to the front of my fenders to shape the liners and after doing that I haven't had any on-road rubbing. Also, make sure you try to get around 4* of caster on your alignment.

Got 2 of 3 RCI skids on today, fuel tank skid will go on one evening this week. I need to find the torque spec on those bolts. So far so good...

GX1.jpg

GX2.jpg

GX3.jpg

Got 2 of 3 RCI skids on today, fuel tank skid will go on one evening this week. I need to find the torque spec on those bolts. So far so good...

View attachment 1993016

Your car looks excellent! Love that.
What size are those wheels? Spacers? Lift?

I bought Rival skidplates and now almost regret not getting same RCI as you got. The Rival ones are cast alu and I feel the RCI are not cast? Right?

Thx

Thanks a bunch @SWECER I"m running T4R Trail wheels, 17x7.5/275/70/17 tires, Dobinsons 2" HD lift, no spacers and no rubbing issues. Got the fuel tank skid on last night, I opted for the steel at 1/4" I think they are, 59lbs worth on the fuel tank skid! Solid though, makes me more tank-like now :) I need to find where I can get the torque specs for everything still, haven't had luck yet looking in the TechDec app.

Thanks a bunch @SWECER I"m running T4R Trail wheels, 17x7.5/275/70/17 tires, Dobinsons 2" HD lift, no spacers and no rubbing issues. Got the fuel tank skid on last night, I opted for the steel at 1/4" I think they are, 59lbs worth on the fuel tank skid! Solid though, makes me more tank-like now :) I need to find where I can get the torque specs for everything still, haven't had luck yet looking in the TechDec app.

Thx! What ET/offset does those wheels have? Thx!! :bounce:

I'm planning to try and put 17/8.5/285 with wheels that has offset of 0, compared to my originals with offset of 30. (18/7.5 with 265/60/18)
My car is slightly different as I have a LC 150 Prado and don't have the same side trim, and I have also added an AFN front bumper that gives more clearence. In addition a 2" lift (Ironman)

Nice, post up some pics. I'm not sure of the offset but it's a Toyota OEM 4Runner wheel. I'm interested to see that bumper and skids, I don't know if they're available over here. I'd like to get some 150 badges one day if I can find what a 2012 should have outside the US.

I bought Rival skidplates and now almost regret not getting same RCI as you got. The Rival ones are cast alu and I feel the RCI are not cast? Right?
With all due respect there are not any armor products (read: skids, bumpers, sliders, etc.) that will or should ever be cast. There are several reasons:
  • To try and cast a skid plate, the mold would be far too large for most companies to build AND to pour. Also with such thin material such as skid plates, bumpers, etc, it would be near impossible to get the material to flow the entire length of the mold.
  • Casting provides a very brittle part. Brittle meaning that it will not handle impact, such as the vehicle coming down and landing on a rock after rolling over it. It would shatter into a million pieces. This is due to the fact that the molecular structure of cast parts are not aligned so there is no "grain" to the metal. With no grain, the part will easily break or shatter. Also a reason to not use cast aluminum rims.
  • When any metal, e.g. aluminum, steel, stainless steel, iron, copper, brass, bronze etc. is extruded and forged, it aligns all the molecules in one direction which provides a "grain". This grain is what allows a metal to bend and not crack and break or the ability to be pounded on and not shatter or tensile strength to be pulled and stretch and not break.
One thing I would really like to see and I've expressed this at least one other time in this forum is if some one would make aluminum bumpers and Delrin or polypropylene sliders! That would get our rigs back to being close to factory weights and help increase our MPG and even off road abilities! Someone is already making aluminum bumpers for the 100 series Landcruisers!

Great info @r2m thanks, didn't realize all that. A friend of mine with a Tacoma has a Delrin skid for his tank, saw it last night as was like wtf is that, 1/4" and light as can be, fastens with like a seatbelt-type strap, but looked like it'd held up well and the weight difference is night and day of course

One thing I would really like to see and I've expressed this at least one other time in this forum is if some one would make aluminum bumpers and Delrin or polypropylene sliders! That would get our rigs back to being close to factory weights and help increase our MPG and even off road abilities! Someone is already making aluminum bumpers for the 100 series Landcruisers!

r2m, I've never considered Delrin for protective parts. However, motorcycles use them for frame sliders, so why not on our vehicles? Would you need to machine a block of Delrin to make a skid plate in the right shape? The cost of the raw material and the manufacturing might make it cost prohibitive?

I'm curious how Delrin rock sliders would perform when put to the test. Would it flex too much, and eventually fail? Seems like you've given this some thought, so I'm interested in more details!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom