tire size for 1982 factory spokers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1982 fj40 with the factory white spokers, and some extremely ugly tires. What size(s) of tires work well on these rims, which are 15x8, if I'm not mistaken?

This will be my DD, and offroad use will be minimal and mild.

I'm leaning toward BFG AT - are these a decent choice for a DD?

Thanks!

Kirk

nope they are 15x6 if the origainal wheels, neat thing on the wheels the date they are made is stamped.........I know worthless fact ;) IMOP you don't want to go wider than 9.5" on a 6" wheel.

is your 40 stock or lifted? if lifted 2-3" then a 33x9.5 is a great size tire for your use. If stock 30" or 31 is about it. BFG AT's are a good daily driver tire, I have 5 sets of them. I also have a set of 33x9.5's on my other 82 fj40 with the stock suspension, they fit....sorta they really need at least an 1" of lift, shackles would work fine.

here are some 33x9.5's on my green 82 fj40 with 2.5" OME suspension. (BTW those are stock wheels, just painted gray)

32483834.jpg

32483799.jpg

OK, good information (as always). Now, which of those tire sizes will keep the speedometer reading correctly?

Oh, yes, the whole vehicle is box stock, right down to the floor mats. No lift, and the original springs.

Kirk

only size would be stock, which was about 28" tall(which is what I have on my 65 fj45LV) its a 235/75/15.

got pics of your 82? PS or AC??

largenfirm said:
OK, good information (as always). Now, which of those tire sizes will keep the speedometer reading correctly?

Oh, yes, the whole vehicle is box stock, right down to the floor mats. No lift, and the original springs.

Kirk

No, no PS or AC.

It currently has some nasty 235/75/15 tires on it:

DSCN0053.jpg

That's a "before" picture. It's all in pieces, right now.

Went out at lunch and took a look at tires. Looks like some 31x9.5 tires might be more attractive. Those 33's are nice, but I'm not willing to put in a lift, or mess with the shackles, at this time.

Hmm, how *does* one correct the speedometer? Seems like there ought to be an aftermarket adapter that could go between the speedo cable and the tranny. Just a simple gearing problem...

Yup, sure enough, a quick google search turns up "ratio boxes", and a local (Portland, Orygun) company that produces same.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about it, but the local fuzz are death on speeding tickets...

Kirk

nice looking 40!! why is it in pieces? it looks solid.

largenfirm said:
No, no PS or AC.

It currently has some nasty 235/75/15 tires on it:

DSCN0053.jpg

That's a "before" picture. It's all in pieces, right now.

Went out at lunch and took a look at tires. Looks like some 31x9.5 tires might be more attractive. Those 33's are nice, but I'm not willing to put in a lift, or mess with the shackles, at this time.

Hmm, how *does* one correct the speedometer? Seems like there ought to be an aftermarket adapter that could go between the speedo cable and the tranny. Just a simple gearing problem...

Yup, sure enough, a quick google search turns up "ratio boxes", and a local (Portland, Orygun) company that produces same.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about it, but the local fuzz are death on speeding tickets...

Kirk

Well, this was Mom's daily driver from 1984 until 2003, so it has some sentimental value. She's the original owner, bought it off the dealer's lot in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I decided a frame off restoration was needed before I could use it as my daily driver. There was a great deal of cancer in the rear tub, and the frame finish was gone. None of the cancer is visible in the above picture.

Fortunately, the mechanicals are strong, despite the 143K miles. Compression is good and consistent on all six cylinders, the tranny and transfer case are solid, the axles are excellent, even the springs are good. The exhaust system was shot.

A lot of the condition is because most of the miles were highway miles. The only offroading it was ever used for was a few hunting trips, and a once a week trip down to the highway, about two miles of good gravel, to go into town.

Literally, I bought this car from a little old lady who didn't even drive it to church on Sundays! :D

Originally, I was going to have the color changed, too, to tan, but now I'm thinking I might stick with the Nordic Blue.

now thats just too cool :) question, you say she DD from 84 on, was it still on the lot new in 84?

gotta love a mom with a Cruiser.....mine drives a 97 fzj80 40th anv with diff locks :D

largenfirm said:
Well, this was Mom's daily driver from 1984 until 2003, so it has some sentimental value. She's the original owner, bought it off the dealer's lot in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I decided a frame off restoration was needed before I could use it as my daily driver. There was a great deal of cancer in the rear tub, and the frame finish was gone. None of the cancer is visible in the above picture.

Fortunately, the mechanicals are strong, despite the 143K miles. Compression is good and consistent on all six cylinders, the tranny and transfer case are solid, the axles are excellent, even the springs are good. The exhaust system was shot.

A lot of the condition is because most of the miles were highway miles. The only offroading it was ever used for was a few hunting trips, and a once a week trip down to the highway, about two miles of good gravel, to go into town.

Literally, I bought this car from a little old lady who didn't even drive it to church on Sundays! :D

Originally, I was going to have the color changed, too, to tan, but now I'm thinking I might stick with the Nordic Blue.

have 33's also, looking to trade

I also have BF 33"s with factory spokes on a 1980 FJ, but I am looking to get it back to standard rims and tire size. Tires are in good condition, looking to trade if anyone interested.

Mom's 1982 DD was still new on the lot in the Fall of 1984, as was one other, in John Deere Green. Dad took her down there one morning, in her 1974 FJ40 (again, her DD, original owner, red), and said "which one do you want?"

She picked the Nordic Blue.

The John Deere Green FJ40 didn't sell until the Spring of 1986 - it had to have been on the lot for more than 4 years at that time.

Cool, eh?

BTW, Mom's a real kick-in-the-ass. I was talking with her yesterday on the phone, and she suddenly dropped the phone, and I hear a gunshot! Turns out there was a rabbit down in the garden, she grabbed the .22 rifle next to the phone, and shot the varmint! About a hundred yards, offhand, threading the shot over the woodpile, and through the pine trees. He jumped straight up into the air about three feet, came down, rolled over onto his back, and kicked once.

Later, she sent me an email, she'd gone down to dispose of the carcass, and it was a heart shot!

She's 64 this month, and the sweetest old gal you'd ever want to meet. Don't mess with her garden, though!

Kirk

DAMN, can't believe the green 82 sat for so long..........thats wild 4 years on the lot, bet they danm near gave it away......

your mom does sound like a real hoot :) mine is 63 and wants one of my 82 fj40's, she has always been a car person, dad is not at all he just buys a new 1/2 ton truck every few years, mom can't imagine ever selling her Cruiser :)

largenfirm said:
Mom's 1982 DD was still new on the lot in the Fall of 1984, as was one other, in John Deere Green. Dad took her down there one morning, in her 1974 FJ40 (again, her DD, original owner, red), and said "which one do you want?"

She picked the Nordic Blue.

The John Deere Green FJ40 didn't sell until the Spring of 1986 - it had to have been on the lot for more than 4 years at that time.

Cool, eh?

BTW, Mom's a real kick-in-the-ass. I was talking with her yesterday on the phone, and she suddenly dropped the phone, and I hear a gunshot! Turns out there was a rabbit down in the garden, she grabbed the .22 rifle next to the phone, and shot the varmint! About a hundred yards, offhand, threading the shot over the woodpile, and through the pine trees. He jumped straight up into the air about three feet, came down, rolled over onto his back, and kicked once.

Later, she sent me an email, she'd gone down to dispose of the carcass, and it was a heart shot!

She's 64 this month, and the sweetest old gal you'd ever want to meet. Don't mess with her garden, though!

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom