Tire sidewall damage too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud, need an opinion. I just got a used set of KO2s mounted and woke up one morning to one tireeaked down to 15PSI.

I had noticed the long scratch before the mount but thought it would be ok. However the crack looks new. I'm not an expert but doesn't seem like something that could have happened at the tire shop.

I'm hoping to do death valley in a month so a little nervous now taking this set out. What do you guys think? Does this look like a 'should be fine' sort of thing? Should I swap on a new set and not look back?

PXL_20201122_184744036.jpg

Hey mud, need an opinion. I just got a used set of KO2s mounted and woke up one morning to one tireeaked down to 15PSI.

I had noticed the long scratch before the mount but thought it would be ok. However the crack looks new. I'm not an expert but doesn't seem like something that could have happened at the tire shop.

I'm hoping to do death valley in a month so a little nervous now taking this set out. What do you guys think? Does this look like a 'should be fine' sort of thing? Should I swap on a new set and not look back?

View attachment 2505083

If you are losing pressure, there isn't really much you can do for sidewall damage. You can't really patch em. I'd get a new tire if it is leaking.

The leaking I dont mind as much. But think I should be worried about a blowout on the highway or washboards?

I haven't searched the forum on this question, but do you guys replace one tire at a time? I know some advocate only swapping a full set w/awd systems

The leaking I dont mind as much. But think I should be worried about a blowout on the highway or washboards?

I haven't searched the forum on this question, but do you guys replace one tire at a time? I know some advocate only swapping a full set w/awd systems

I have no AWD cruisers, so I can't really help you there. I personally would not be running the tire at speed if I knew I had sidewall damage that was leaking.

is the tire in the pic the one that is leaking air?
where is the leak coming from?
if you can open the crack and see inner cords, if cords are visible= bad

I would change just the damaged tire unless the other 3 are very warn. At that point I'd replace them all.

That is not a 'crack' that is a stress 'tear' and that area is surely compromised (even if confined only to the rubber). Sidewalls are the weakest link in passenger tires. If it were me....I would not chance the possibility that it will give you trouble. IF you decide to keep it, put it on the rear of the vehicle. A 'blow out' there will be less of a butt puckering event than if on the steering axle.

Dumb question, but did you confirm those spots are where your leak is coming from? Did you do the soapy water test and see bubbles?

View attachment 2505083
Tyres and brakes are you life, don't skimp replace. Regardless of where it is mounted front or back, a blow out a 65 MPH at best will give you a pucker moment, and at worst...........think about it. Death Valley.

is the tire in the pic the one that is leaking air?
where is the leak coming from?
if you can open the crack and see inner cords, if cords are visible= bad

This. I doubt that is where the air leak is. The standard rule is if you can see cord scrap the tire.

If that crack is leaking at full pressure, once you air down, I would imagine it will leak alot more. I'd replace at least that tire. As said before, if the other 3 are 50% or less, bite the bullet and replace them all.

There are a number of bruises in that area, looks like it took a big impact, driving on borrowed time. Hope you got deal that was too good to be true, because it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom