Tire Pressure recommendation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure!

Falken does not list that tire model in that size on their web site (See Falken's tire size listing here: Falken Web Site), but Tire Rack does show a 285/65R18 SL 116T WILDPEAK A/T3W (See it here: WILDPEAK A/T3W on TireRack)

Since the RCTIP would be the same for a T Speed Rating and your S Speed Rating, and assuming your tire is SL and NOT XL:

The RCTIP for ISO-Metric 285/65R18 SL 116S tires on your LX570 is 30psi F/R.

If you take another look at your tire and find it is an XL tire, then the RCTIP would be 34psi F/R.

HTH

Would that be the same RCTIP on a 2016 LC on stock wheels? Definitely SL.

No.

The RCTIP for those ISO-Metric 285/65R18 SL 116T WILDPEAK A/T3W tires on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

HTH

Hey when you get the chance
what are the numbers on these two tires?
Falken wildpeak AT3W LT 275/60R20
and the Toyo open country AT3 P rated the same size. Thanks very much.

Hey when you get the chance
what are the numbers on these two tires?
Falken wildpeak AT3W LT 275/60R20
and the Toyo open country AT3 P rated the same size. Thanks very much.

Hey ... do you like making me guess?

OK, I'm going to guess these are going on an LX570 since that's what's in your signature.

Then, since you didn't specify Load Range D 119/116S or Load Range E 126/123S on the Wildpeak A/T3W tire (Falken makes both variants - see them both here: Falken Tire Specs), I'm going to guess LT275/60R20 Load Range E 126/123S.

And, since Toyo doesn't make an Open Country A/T III P-Metric tire in size P275/60R20 as you requested (See Toyo tire specs here: Toyo Tire Specs), I'm going to guess that you mean the ISO-Metric 275/60R20 115T Standard Load variant.

Assuming I guessed correctly, then:

1. The RCTIP for the LT275/60R20 Load Range E 126/123S tires on your LX570 is 40psi F/R

2. The RCTIP for the ISO-Metric 275/60R20 115T SL tires on your LX570 is 30psi F/R

HIR (Hope I'm Right)

Last edited:

Sorta. LC and LX should both use 33 PSI. 30 PSI will be too low for a high profile tire like that. Stability is just as important to consider.

Someone wants to make a contrived distinction in pressure recommendations between LC and LX. Consider that the LX is actually the heavier vehicle. Why would the lighter LC need high pressure.

Because RCTIP is flawed.

Sorta. LC and LX should both use 33 PSI. 30 PSI will be too low for a high profile tire like that. Stability is just as important to consider.

Someone wants to make a contrived distinction in pressure recommendations between LC and LX. Consider that the LX is actually the heavier vehicle. Why would the lighter LC need high pressure.

Because RCTIP is flawed.
It gets even worse when you take the 21” LX wheels into account. The prescribed load is even lower. Yet it’s RCTIP is 33PSI, go figure… it’s almost like Toyota thinks you should inflate your tire to 33PSI on a 200 series…

It gets even worse when you take the 21” LX wheels into account. The prescribed load is even lower. Yet it’s RCTIP is 33PSI, go figure… it’s almost like Toyota thinks you should inflate your tire to 33PSI on a 200 series…

Yup. The manual does require additional inflation pressure for the 21" tire equipped models when using full payload or towing. So it's very possibly and even the factory will recommend lower pressures for daily use when unladen.

To your point, it's almost universal that OEM recommended pressures have 32 to 33 PSI as a floor.

RCTIP is so singularly focused on load that it completely misses the point of even basic logic. No one wants to see another Firestone/Exploder situation and yet we have absurd 25psi and 30psi RCTIP recommendations for certain size tires. On the other side, too high of pressures and LC owners have been suffering for it.

Have a 2017 LC stock with 285/65 18 E range KO2's running 42psi. I plan to do some beach sand driving soon. What should I air down to for beach sand? Thanks.

Have a 2017 LC stock with 285/65 18 E range KO2's running 42psi. I plan to do some beach sand driving soon. What should I air down to for beach sand? Thanks.

Beach sand isn't often too bad, but it depends on the specific beach and sand type. Usually there's more moisture which helps for more firmer footing. If it's really hot, the sand further from the water line can be dry. It'll depend on how heavy your rig is too.

Floatation with enough tire footprint is the name of the game and will depend on many variable to how aired down you'll need to be. Whether you're traversing flats or mild grades will change that too.

I'd start at 18PSI as a pretty safe bet even if you may not need to air down that far. Don't hesitate to go down to 10-12 PSI if the conditions warrant. And probably don't want to make any hard direcitonal changes at those lower pressures.

Beach sand isn't often too bad, but it depends on the specific beach and sand type. Usually there's more moisture which helps for more firmer footing. If it's really hot, the sand further from the water line can be dry. It'll depend on how heavy your rig is too.

Floatation with enough tire footprint is the name of the game and will depend on many variable to how aired down you'll need to be. Whether you're traversing flats or mild grades will change that too.

I'd start at 18PSI as a pretty safe bet even if you may not need to air down that far. Don't hesitate to go down to 10-12 PSI if the conditions warrant. And probably don't want to make any hard direcitonal changes at those lower pressures.
Thanks for the solid advice. Will be outer banks of NC. They suggest 20psi, but I wasn't sure given the tires I'm running.

Slightly off topic...
Is it Patchable?
Picked up a fender bolt this morning. Pretty close to the edge. Would this be safe to plug and or patch? Was hoping to get one more year out of these.

tire.jpg

Slightly off topic...
Is it Patchable?
Picked up a fender bolt this morning. Pretty close to the edge. Would this be safe to plug and or patch? Was hoping to get one more year out of these.

View attachment 3337065
It looks like it's not too close to the sidewall. If it were me, I'd take it to a trusted tire shop so they can look at the inside and do a proper repair. I would not try to plug it myself. I was told by my tire guy that the do-it-yourself patch/plug repair kits are okay to get you back on the road if you're otherwise stuck and then get to a service but that they don't last since your just pushing through the space between the steel in the belting which can flex and change shape. He said in the shop, they drill the hole out so the hole is round and grind down the inside surface to adhere a patch instead of just wedging a plug between steel wires.

Slightly off topic...
Is it Patchable?

View attachment 3337065
From my experience, tire shops will not repair if it is less than two inches from the sidewall. I have had mixed results from plugs, meaning I had one that started to leak two months later. That plug though, was 27 years old. I re-plugged it with a new one and it held. I then had Les Schwab patch it from the inside.

How's Kalispell? I have spent many summers there. The last time I was there, the Ford Creek ranger cabin had just burned - arson. Reggie, the ranger was not amused.

It looks like it's not too close to the sidewall. If it were me, I'd take it to a trusted tire shop so they can look at the inside and do a proper repair. I would not try to plug it myself. I was told by my tire guy that the do-it-yourself patch/plug repair kits are okay to get you back on the road if you're otherwise stuck and then get to a service but that they don't last since your just pushing through the space between the steel in the belting which can flex and change shape. He said in the shop, they drill the hole out so the hole is round and grind down the inside surface to adhere a patch instead of just wedging a plug between steel wires.

Took it to Discount Tire. They didn't seem to have an issue with trying to repair it. Should be ready in the morning.
From my experience, tire shops will not repair if it is less than two inches from the sidewall. I have had mixed results from plugs, meaning I had one that started to leak two months later. That plug though, was 27 years old. I re-plugged it with a new one and it held. I then had Les Schwab patch it from the inside.

How's Kalispell? I have spent many summers there. The last time I was there, the Ford Creek ranger cabin had just burned - arson. Reggie, the ranger was not amused.

Discount's guideline was 1/2" from the belts. This was 1.25" and went straight in so hopefully it goes well.
Kalispell is nice. Been here just over a year. Growing fast. New home developments all over the place.

Took it to Discount Tire. They didn't seem to have an issue with trying to repair it. Should be ready in the morning.

Discount's guideline was 1/2" from the belts. This was 1.25" and went straight in so hopefully it goes well.
Kalispell is nice. Been here just over a year. Growing fast. New home developments all over the place.
Interesting about Discount Tire. My Discount Tire refused to patch the tire I plugged. Les Schwab had no problem with it and also did it for free.

I've been going up to Kalispell since the 70s. Talk about change. Back then, the 93 between Kalispell and Whitefish was just a two-lane country road with NOTHING but farm land between. Can't believe how much it has changed. The park has become so crowded and now with having to purchase passes to get in, kinda lost interest. Last time I was at Kintla, it was like someone had kicked an ant hill. Loved to kayak on that lake. First oil well in Montana was drilled at the north-east end, near the primitive camp. I looked at a nice, 5-acre property on Elk Park Rd in Columbia Falls about 10 years ago. That same property has more than doubled last time I looked at it. Should have bought it then. I didn't because the house was rather sad. Oh well. Think I am going to go home to Georgia now.

Good Afternoon, could I please get the recommended inflation for BFG A-T T/A KO3 275/65R20 on a 2016 LX570. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I was able to order KO3s -- We'll see if they ship.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic...
Is it Patchable?

View attachment 3337065
I’ve had quite a few tires repaired by a shop with a screw in the location over the years. Typically I leave the screw if the tire is holding air until a proper repair can be performed (internal plug/patch.

Good Afternoon, could I please get the recommended inflation for BFG A-T T/A KO3 275/65R20 on a 2016 LX570. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I was able to order KO3s -- We'll see if they ship.

The RCTIP for those LT275/65R20 tires on your LX570 is 36psi F/R.

HTH

275/65/18 TerrainContact A/T on a 200: 33PSI?

The RCTIP for those ISO-Metric 275/65R18 116T SL tires on your LC200 is (indeed) 33psi F/R.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom