Tire/lift math -- (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4531;start=msg34070#msg34070 date=1061570921]
Thanks Christo.

If gas is about 7 lbs a gallon that makes it about 300 lbs plus the tare weight of the tank. that's about what the tongue weight of my boat trailer is. If I understand correctly, the 864 lifted yours about 1.5 inches over the 863 with the same load? When you say the back was "soft" later in the life of the springs did it "sag" as well? If I read between the lines it appears I should broom my old Downeys and do the 850/863

My current curb weight (less boat) is 3200 lbs ft/ 2840 lbs rear.

What say you, Meistro Christo?
[/quote]

They did not sag, but were noticably softer. On the mountain passes the truck's back end would sway a lot more. Do you have a problem with that?

I have just completed the installation of 850's and 863's. I am planning on going with Slee's rear bumper and tire carrier but as of now, I still have stock rear bumper. Up front, I have the ARB Bull Bar with winch mount and plans to soon go with the Warn 12K. As the truck sits now, with just a full tank of gas in back (the spare in not on the truck right now), it still has a pretty steep rake toward the front. I think I have decided on the tire selection (BFG 305/70 R16 either M/T's or A/T's) and it looks like I could use a little more spring height in the front, probably just 1"-1.5". If I add spacers up front of that size, am I still going to be running into the same issues as I would have had I gone with the J spring setup? I am just tweaking the suspension until I get it just the way I want. I know stock, the 80 has a noticable rake toward the front and I am not trying to necessarily change that, but I would like to have a little bit more room in front for the 305's. Currently I am running on BFG 295/70 R16 with about 5oK. They look like the stock 275's that came with the truck.

Could I get away with putting 1" spacers up front???

Get the Slee bumper [ I like that design...] and tyre on the back, then look at it, would be my suggestion, or fit Christo's adjustable front spring perch set up.... ;)

Imagery,
You will have plenty of room for the 305's with your new setup.

If you want to level the front then Mr Gasket has a 1" spring spacer that will work for you.

The rake is because you don't have the suggested static weight in the rear. The Slee rear bumper alone won't add enough weight to level the truck. You'll need drawers loaded with recovery gear and tools, and/or an aux fuel tank.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4531;start=msg40173#msg40173 date=1063256151]
You'll need drawers loaded with recovery gear and tools, and/or an aux fuel tank.
[/quote]

Yea I know... I usually have my four dogs in back to make up a little over 200lb but they are not static/constant. I have seen where someone put a piece of railroad in the back of a pick up to add weight but I don't know where something like that would mount without getting in the way. That is not really an option that I am considering but the idea could work until the regular static load increases in the rear. I really don't care about the rake that much but the truck rides better with weight in the rear. I could add the long range fuel tank, but it won't be full all of the time. The drawers would be a nice addition and should not take up much horizontal space so the dogs could still ride. They stay in the back now since I installed the Milford Cargo Barrier.

I think you are right though about the 305's fitting because we looked at one up against my left front tire, cut the wheels all the way in both directions to see how much clearance was avaliable with the 285's and there was plenty. I just don't want themto take up the whole front wheel wells. I doubt I could load the back enough regurally to fill the rear wells. Right now, the frame is almost on top of the back tires especially with no load at all.

Wait till you get the rest of the truck sorted out, like rear bumper etc, then go from there. May as well tweak it when you're done and not a 100 times in between. The rake could be why a lot of folks buy front J's when they have the normal lift in the rear. Shed guy wouldn't know cause he always has his rear in the air. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Imagery link=board=2;threadid=4531;start=msg40167#msg40167 date=1063255168]
If I add spacers up front of that size, am I still going to be running into the same issues as I would have had I gone with the J spring setup? [/quote]

I do not know why people think that adding the spacer is different that adding the spring. Bottom line is you move the axle away from the frame and due to the design of the front control arms, when you do that, you rotate the axle and loose caster. Doesn't matter is you stick Junk's noggin in there, a watermelon or whatever. Nett effect is the same.

We should ask Tyler to post his lift measurement spreadsheet and then have everyone take their trucks and have the caster measured. A lot of people will be surpsrized.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=4531;start=msg40313#msg40313 date=1063299510] Doesn't matter is you stick Junk's noggin in there, a watermelon or whatever.
[/quote]

Christo, isn't that the same thing? ::)

How dare you insult watermelons like that :p

And Christo is right, and they drive like a bloody ni$$an almost once the castor is gone.....

I also ran 2.5 deg neg camber, just so it turned in better with big tyres.

I also did this, to move the axle forward 12mm, to stop the bigger tyres hitting the rear of the front fender.

[Yes thats a caster correction bush in the rear of the front arm]

Hey guys,

Ponder this scenario: FZJ80 with front ARB bumper and a future winch, 285 75 MTRs, sliders and nothing in the rear. How about the 850fr/860rear combo? Is this to whack of a combo? Is it unadviseable to mix the firm front setup with medium rear setup? Theoretically this should level the truck. Am I smoking dope?

Ali,
What advice did you get from the OME experts at Slee Offroad?
-B-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4531;start=msg40315#msg40315 date=1063300340]
Christo, isn't that the same thing? ::)
[/quote]
fresh can of whoopass about to be sent your way Cbone. :flipoff2:

Alia - here's a great idea, call www.sleeoffroad.com and ask! You can also buy your junk at the same time. :slap:

Darren,
That's the first time I've seen that mod. Any downsides like shock or spring angle?
-B-

This is in response to alia

Justed asked Christo at Slee the same thing. His reply:

"Will, we have indeed set up trucks like that in the past. They sit
pretty level and seem to work well in cases just like yours. We just
don't list it like that as an option on the site since most people have
heavy bumpers on the rear as well. We have all the OME stuff in stock
and ready to ship. Compelte package prices does not change if you mix
and match springs. "

Hope that helps

I ran 851 and 860 in my 80, found it worked well I ran my design rear step which weighed 25kg [x2.2 to make lb] spare under the back [a 235/75/16 on a 6" rim with bracket lifted 30mm to suit bodylift and front bar removed to allow it to sit flat.] my step also had a wheel carrier I could add for swamper on long trips, and I would remove spare under and add swamper [36"] to wheel carrier.

I had no back seat, but aux fuel tank in rear and rear drawers with fridge in back, car sat level.

The 12mm angle with bush in rear of front arm caused no issues, but I did have to bore out arm from 58mm to 60mm, whch made eye same thickness as pre 93 80, as later than 93 here had thicker arms around the bush.

I also had to make spacer you can see in pic as bush was narrower, but it stopped the 36x13 swampers on 10" rims rubbing on full lock on the back of the front fender of my 78 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom